Javelina hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

Javelina hunting

Post by elkaholic »

We spent several trips hunting for javelina here in Arizona.

3 trips to areas we had success before - no piggy's no tracks - no sign , even after cooler wetter weather.

Last trip yesterday - hunted hard all day -still nothing- Decided one last spot we had drove by but didn't hunt .

Walking a creek bed . up a canyon that we knew opened up a little back in about a 1/2 mile. It was late afternoon about 2:30 when we heard " oof " on the side of hill. PIGGYS -- it's a sound they make when they get nervous in between a woof and hoof when u exhale.

My friends are ahead of me but we get ready - I can't hardly hear anyway but I believe my partners when I see they get ready -stop point and start quietly oofing back at the piggy's.

we spent 15 minutes being patient-talking to this piggy -we know is talking back. We don't know how many ! We are kinda surprised as the wind changed and now it's blowing right up the draw/canyon instead of down it -inour faces anymore. We all look at each other and know it's probably over.

Noway -piggy is still oofing. Next thing we know there he is at about 50 yrds in the wide open creek edge . I can't shoot- my one freind is sitting , he can't shoot. That leaves my other freind standing with his crossbow steadied on his shooting stick. The piggy turns and is coming right at us . He comes about 20 yrds before he stops and stares and then turns broadside . Twang- thump -the bolt rips thru him- double lung-right behind the front leg-. we see a huge blood spot on his side -he disappears into the thickets.

2 of us know it a good shot-- Shooter doesn't - lol . we assured him - he had a dead piggy.

3:05 - we sit oofing 15 more minutes - i slowly move up, inhopes i can get a shot too if more are around.

3:20 we move up,find bolt, it's covered in blood-good hit

Piggy made it about 45 yrds before piling up in the thickets on the side of the hill.

gravedigger broadhead - 405 barrnet ghost - 22in bolt

first pic- entrance shot-- second- exit shot - third is the creek bottom looking back to the open foothills. Not all hunting is done in the desert . yes even we get snow

[url=https://postimg.org/image/vl1tnr0hh/]Image

[url=https://postimg.org/image/4agifxsgl/]Image

[url=https://postimg.org/image/3m7nwgjat/]Image
Last edited by elkaholic on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
janesy

Re: Javelina hunting

Post by janesy »

Cool hunt!

Do you eat Javelina's?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

YES we eat Javelina - One can cook / process it like any other game animal!

I like beer Brat's myself
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks Elkaholic. Those little javies have been on my hit list for years. Congrats!

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Well done Gary! Bet that got the old blood pumping. Look at the size of those chompers! Are they as dangerous as feral hogs?
Hank
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
quake

Post by quake »

Great job!! That thing looks ferocious.
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
janesy

Post by janesy »

elkaholic wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm
YES we eat Javelina - One can cook / process it like any other game animal!

I like beer Brat's myself
Ill have to put it on my bucket list then!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Any wild animal can be dangerous if hurt or cornered. Javelina are only really known to be aggressive if protecting their young.

Theres a great calling video on utube- imitating a distressed young- They run back to the call and one actually jumps and snaps at the caller--within a foot

Mostly when you get in a herd and spook them - they can run blindly in any direction- heres where calling or oofing them back can get you a shot!

watch the whole video- u may have to copy paste - the whole link- it should work great video!

my closes archery shot was 4 ft. we usual put in for unit 21 -HAM hunt- handgun archery muzzleloader- where crossbow hunting is legal
the hunt above was archery-

I actually drew the 21 ham hunt- and got a second (leftover)tag for the archery hunt- the above hunt--- so 2 tags are legal now as long as not in same unit

calling in javelina by AZ extreme hunting 3:43 video

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=callling+javelina&qs=n&sp=-1&pq=callling+javelina&sc=2-17&sk=&cvid=0F170DC2F53848FDBAA1F3B48D7DDA84&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dcallling%2bjavelina%26qs%3dn%26form%3dQBLH%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dcallling%2bjavelina%26sc%3d2-17%26sk%3d%26cvid%3d0F170DC2F53848FDBAA1F3B48D7DDA84&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=C51402A4E186E64CFD9BC51402A4E186E64CFD9B&FORM=WRVORC
Last edited by elkaholic on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We hope to return to this same area as the rancher we met informed us he has a predator problem - several lions bothering his cattle and a recent newborn calf was killed. No one has been varmint calling in there for a very long time - we got an invite.!!

Always pays to talk the the ranchers!