Excalibur Owners Anonymous

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RobD

Re: Excalibur Owners Anonymous

Post by RobD »

I had to say goodbye to my Matrix 350SE today and am now back down to just 3 bows. Anthony's Matrix 380 (Jelly Belly) entered the house a couple of weeks ago and required me to give up one of my current bows. The kids still need the Sapphire, so the 350 was the next choice. That gave me two Matrix 380 models to pick from, blackout or camo, but equal capabilities.

So now I'm looking at the Bulldog 380 because SEW had to post a thread about arrow testing and say:
My BD is more accurate than my 2 M405s or M380. Even with switching limbs, etc out.
Thanks SEW, you know just how to keep somebody in the EOA group. So hi, my name is RobD, and I have the need to own multiple Excaliburs.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD (Two of 'em)
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)
Matrix 380

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
SEW

Post by SEW »

What I’m writing here is very basic and I think is well known and accepted by more experienced Excalibur affendos and generally knowledgeable Xbows users.

The wider the limbs, the more inherent accuracy.

The longer the draw length, the more inherent accuracy.

The gentler the launch, the more inherent accuracy.

My findings which aren’t conclusive by any means follow. Using an Equinox (Optimizer/2-7 VXR), Vortex (Twilight), M380 (Optimizer/various scopes), M405s (Optimizer/2-8 Duralyt, Trail Ridge 530IL), BD 400 (Optimizer/ 2-8 Duralyt), Micro 335 Gen 1 (Optimizer/Terra 2-7).

Out to 60 yards, the Vortex and Equinox are the most accurate. Vortex not shot beyond 60.
Out to 80 yards, Equinox is most accurate (not shot beyond)
80-100 yds. BD400 is most accurate (compared to M380 & 405s). Virtually a tie at 80 with Equinox)
60-100 BD 400 is slightly more accurate than M405s which is more accurate than M380.
20-60 Micro is adequate but definitely not in the same league accuracy-wise as the others.

Of note: M405s are very close to the BD400 in accuracy but are consistently slightly less accurate. Same with M380 being slightly behind M405s. Limbs and scopes have been switched between the 3 Matrixs and BD400. Limbs and scope differences didn’t affect the outcomes.

It would be interesting to compare accuracy differences of the BD330,360,380 and 400. Also, it’d be interesting to try a deflexed riser on the M405 which would drop it to a M370-380 .

Just some findings to this point. Boo, Peter, and other more knowledgeable people please add to and correct my findings where needed.
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

I've gone through 7 crossbows last 5 years, 1 Horton, 2 barnetts,one Ten Point then 3 Excals in last 3 years, Exocet 200, Matrix 330, Matrix 350 LE. Really love the 350 LE, But somehow the Assassin keeps calling my name. :crazy:
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

And that voice just keeps getting louder and louder deerman41......
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
RobD

Post by RobD »

Just added #4 to the stable, a Grizzly. Eldest daughter moved out and I still need the Sapphire for my boys. So being the nice dad I am, I'm adding a Grizzly to the stable for long-term loan to her. That should hold me for a few months until the disease builds itself up again. :crazy:

On a side note, Gaston over at DrStirrup.com is one of the best vendors ever. I had one of his cocking ropes cut too short to work with one of my 380s, and he sent me a new piece of rope. And I just asked him about compatibility with my spare DrStirrup for Matrix models fitting on the Grizzly and he is sending me the pieces to make it work. This guy gets a gold star in my vendor book! Probably explains why I'll have 4 bows decked out with his stuff.
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Matrix 380

Boo

Post by Boo »

SEW wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 am
What I’m writing here is very basic and I think is well known and accepted by more experienced Excalibur affendos and generally knowledgeable Xbows users.

The wider the limbs, the more inherent accuracy.

The longer the draw length, the more inherent accuracy.

The gentler the launch, the more inherent accuracy.

My findings which aren’t conclusive by any means follow. Using an Equinox (Optimizer/2-7 VXR), Vortex (Twilight), M380 (Optimizer/various scopes), M405s (Optimizer/2-8 Duralyt, Trail Ridge 530IL), BD 400 (Optimizer/ 2-8 Duralyt), Micro 335 Gen 1 (Optimizer/Terra 2-7).

Out to 60 yards, the Vortex and Equinox are the most accurate. Vortex not shot beyond 60.
Out to 80 yards, Equinox is most accurate (not shot beyond)
80-100 yds. BD400 is most accurate (compared to M380 & 405s). Virtually a tie at 80 with Equinox)
60-100 BD 400 is slightly more accurate than M405s which is more accurate than M380.
20-60 Micro is adequate but definitely not in the same league accuracy-wise as the others.

Of note: M405s are very close to the BD400 in accuracy but are consistently slightly less accurate. Same with M380 being slightly behind M405s. Limbs and scopes have been switched between the 3 Matrixs and BD400. Limbs and scope differences didn’t affect the outcomes.

It would be interesting to compare accuracy differences of the BD330,360,380 and 400. Also, it’d be interesting to try a deflexed riser on the M405 which would drop it to a M370-380 .

Just some findings to this point. Boo, Peter, and other more knowledgeable people please add to and correct my findings where needed.
Steve, I think you're findings will change with different arrow configurations. However, I always found my deflex recurves to be more accurate or more forgiving, so that may be the edge that the BD has over the others.
BTW, I'm not getting sucked into publicly telling how many bows I have. If you wanna know, come to Boofest :wave:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
RobD

Post by RobD »

Boo wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 pm
BTW, I'm not getting sucked into publicly telling how many bows I have. If you wanna know, come to Boofest :wave:
Well, I'm happy I can still count them all on one hand. Your problem may be that you ran out of fingers and toes and don't want the wife to figure it out when you start using her fingers and toes. :shh:
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Matrix 380