308 Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buck

308 Accuracy

Post by Buck »

I have a few hundred shots through my 308 and initially thought the usual Excalibur accuracy was compromised by the small package. Currently using my xb30 while I work on acquiring something a little more compact. Bench shooting the stock Quills and field tips (chronoed at 310 fps avg ), was getting decent groups at 20 yards and it quickly deteriorated at 30.

At 40, I was all over. A couple encouraging back to back bulls and then the same arrows 5”-6” apart. Checked scope, screws, all were good.

I switched to my 400 grn 16.5” executioners that I use for my Micro335. Chronoed them at 296 fps avg and dialed the speed down on my scope. After a few 20 yard shots and elevation clicks to the scope it was ON 1” groups. Same at 30 yards. 40 yards averaging 2” or less. I am always working to improve my accuracy and don’t think I’ve ever shot a CB better than that. Felt real confident. Thought it might have been a fluke so I set up the target this morning and had the exact same results at 40.

I usually practice at 40-50 but will only hunt 20-30. This bow will see most action at 25 max. I looked up some charts and see that there is sufficient speed/KE for deer with the heavier arrow.

Is it normal for a simple 50+/- grain varriation to have such a significant impact on accuracy?
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
gerald strine

Re: 308 Accuracy

Post by gerald strine »

What bolt, head combo was giving you trouble ?
I find an arrow squaring tool helps with consistency if you make your own bolts.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Eric,
I think the accuracy improvement came more from the stiffer spine of the executioners rather than the weight increase. These bows seem to like a higher FOC as well. You may have bumped that up by switching arrows too. If you give us the details of the arrow recipes, we could better zoom in on what your 308 seems to like. Personally, I like heavier arrows for hunting and 400gr sounds like a good arrow for that little bow. Use a good fixed blade head like a RamCat or Slick Trick and it will fly through deer like they are not even there.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
janesy

Post by janesy »

As Keith said, definately stick with the Executioners.
Back to back, you can flex them with your hands and feel the difference. Micros are violent.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Buck

Post by Buck »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:13 pm
What bolt, head combo was giving you trouble ?
I find an arrow squaring tool helps with consistency if you make your own bolts.

Stock Excalibur Quil Arrows, 100 grain field tips.
Buck

Post by Buck »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm
Eric,
I think the accuracy improvement came more from the stiffer spine of the executioners rather than the weight increase. These bows seem to like a higher FOC as well. You may have bumped that up by switching arrows too. If you give us the details of the arrow recipes, we could better zoom in on what your 308 seems to like. Personally, I like heavier arrows for hunting and 400gr sounds like a good arrow for that little bow. Use a good fixed blade head like a RamCat or Slick Trick and it will fly through deer like they are not even there.

Keith

Keith,

These arrows were my intro to building my own.

BEEs cut down to 16.5”
2” Blazers (Used EZ Fletch Bolt)
110 grain Brass inserts
100 grain RamCats (field tips at the target)
Lumenoks (weight matched plastic nocks for target)

This batch was originally made for a few select 100 grn BHs. For my next builds, I will likely reduce the insert weight and bump up to the 125 grain BH.

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Buck wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:53 am
nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm
Eric,

Keith

Keith,

These arrows were my intro to building my own.

BEEs cut down to 16.5”
2” Blazers (Used EZ Fletch Bolt)
110 grain Brass inserts
100 grain RamCats (field tips at the target)
Lumenoks (weight matched plastic nocks for target)

This batch was originally made for a few select 100 grn BHs. For my next builds, I will likely reduce the insert weight and bump up to the 125 grain BH.

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
My recipe for my Micro is very similar.

16" Zombies (but BEEs should be fine with the 308)
110gr brass insert
125 gr RamCat
2" TrueFlight Feathers, fletched with the EZ Fletch Bolt tool
Lumenok, or not.

SO I think you are right on target with your recipe. Personally I would not reduce the insert and add a 125, I would just add the 125. And maybe try some with just a plastic nock. The high FOC is good.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

You did right by switching the arrows, when I get stock Quills from a xbow purchase I sell them and buy Black Eagle Zombie Slayers between the BEE and the Zombie Slayers I get excellent accuracy in everything I put them in. You may even like the Zombie Slayers better because they're stiffer than the BEE and I think a little stronger. I know you love the little 308 they're sweet little Excals.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads