new to cross bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lewism

Re: new to cross bows

Post by Lewism »

Who joe ?
My First Bow excalibur 340 micro AXE kryptec.
Lewism

Post by Lewism »

all this research giving me a headache. i been looking at them in store and wished they allowed or had test models that i could true the pull on. i read so many different opinions on the mirco vs matrix. even the models i now am considered 335 micro and the 380 matrix. i thinking if i have to put a crank on it then might as well go assassin with the built in. i 5 foot 10" guy. not saying i am the weakest but not the strongest guy out there. also not in my primes in 20 yr old lol 46 yrs coming jan. so i really looking at something i can use more than something i going brake my back lol.
i appriciate the feed back on all who has giving. i have one buddy who bows but he bought a china knock off mk400 i think and i really not sure i trust knock offs lol.

came across a Excalibur 225 lb. Equinox what ya guys thoughts on this one?
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I can tell you from 10 years experience that the Equinox is a great bow. It's a little heavy and wide for some but I use mine for walk and stalking without any problems. With a 415 gr. arrow it still shoots 335 fps. Good luck with your search.
Hank
Lewism

Post by Lewism »

hankenhunter wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:53 pm
I can tell you from 10 years experience that the Equinox is a great bow. It's a little heavy and wide for some but I use mine for walk and stalking without any problems. With a 415 gr. arrow it still shoots 335 fps. Good luck with your search.
Hank
i caught my eye on a used one local. so may be considered.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'm a 60 plus year old guy that shoots a Micro Suppressor 355. Yeah it's a might stiff on the "pull to crank", BUT...I found out if you'll shorten the pull cocker charging rope, (don't know if that's the right terminology, or not :think: ), a slight bit, it'll make a world of difference in how easy this bow is to cock!!
Go to "Crossbow Nation", they have a video on this subject that can/will explain it a lot better than my Hillbilly Redneck self ever could!! :lol:

I have a C2 Crank...had an "experience" with it that made my think twice about using it the way it came from the factory. That's why I went looking for an easier way to "charge", crank, cock, whatever you wanna call it...my crossbow.

Hope this helps in your decision. Whatever you decide, you CANNOT go wrong with Excalibur Crossbows!! :thumbup:

Andy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
dithian

Post by dithian »

Body mechanics is critical to effortless cocking. A lot of newbies try to cock by just using their arms. This will make even a light bow difficult. I think there are some YouTube vids out there on how to cock properly. Anyway, it's a full body motion, incorporating your legs and spine, and even a little momentum. I'm around your age, shorter than you and small framed, and I find the Micro 335 pretty easy to cock. The last inch of travel is the hardest, but it's over before I build too much strain. For what it's worth, I'll repeat my praises of the Matrix 330. I could shoot it all day.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 am
I cock my crossbow before heading up into the stand and hoist her up once I'm settled in.
Me to!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Lewism wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 am
came across a Excalibur 225 lb. Equinox what ya guys thoughts on this one?
I have an Exomax which is about the same crossbow as the Equinox minus the thumb hole stock. They are rock solid crossbows and do the job very well. Very simple crossbows to use and are plenty fast. I have lost a lot of the strength in my hands and can cock it easily. I tuck the stock in my stomach and give it a couple of short practice pulls before pulling it on up. I also shortened up my cocking rope some to shorten the stroke.

It works well in my Summit Viper Climbing treestand and my Ameristep Doghouse blind.

There is one on now on the Trading Post from Boo. Sounds like a great crossbow.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35