Ban this Book? UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Ban this Book? UPDATE

Post by Shakky »

My three year old daughter found this book in the local Library. It's called " The Gnats of Knotty Pine" It is the most anti- hunting book I have ever seen. The dedication states " To my young friends who love toy guns with the hope that you won't grow up to love real guns with real bullets that kill real things." I'll give you one more taste " We are all in danger. Hunters kill just for the fun of it. To them it's a game; they like to call it sport." There's more but I'm sure you get the idea. So the question is do I attempt to get this childern's book removed from the Library? I have mixed feelings on the issue. I'm not one to ban books but I also don't believe childern should be brain washed. I'd feel a lot better if this wasn't a book aimed at childern. Comments.
Last edited by Shakky on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Take your kids hunting, feed them wild game, and spend time talking to them and this kind of crap will be recognized by them as crap. My 4 year old loves books, but he also like for daddy to hunt and bring home his favorite meat - venison!
I wouldn't give him that book to read, but I think he knows enough to realize I don't kill for "sport", there's a lot more to it than that! It's a shame a lot of city kids will believe that kind of junk though, but they're going to hear it, so all we can do is try to educate them with the truth!
wabi
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

EXACTLY WABI.....a dehydrator full of jerky brings my kids runnin everytime....lol. my daughter is 7 and my boy is 5 and i know they will both hunt with me when they are old enough. heck,----- well on the subject, my wife and i just had another addition to our family and she is a month and a half............future hunter also im sure----STEEL
fletch

Post by fletch »

Stuff like that really makes me mad. 5 years ago my son came home from school he was 6 and he was telling me how his teacher told the class that wildlife was only to be seen but some people kill animals and destroy the ecosystem, I soon correctted what he had been taught. They should print books how hunting, not eradication of animals is benefitial and positive for the species. I value almost everyone's opinions but not sh!t like this. Those books would make good fire starter!
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Reminds me of the Clevleland Amory days, "The Guns of Autumn" Guess who hosted that. Dan Rather. I'd like to clean his clock every time I see him on the tube. You ought to send a bag of jerky in for the kids. We had a "vegetarian" at work, (college summer help) who wore leather shoes. I ask why he did not eat meat, and he said he did not want to be the one responsible for the animals death. I quickly pointed out his shoes, and he said he was allergic to plastics, nylon, and such. Boy, I hammered him. I told him " if your going to wear the skins on your feet, you might as well put the meat in your stomach". He said I was an animal myself, because I liked to hunt. I told him I was an animal, a predator. I hate to waste my breath on those kind of folks, but it's hard.

I really don't care much what other folks do. If it's weird kinky things, just keep it behind closed doors. If they want to drink, stay off the roads. Whatever. But once it effects me, or mine, I have to get involved. Shakky, if it were me, I'd make a trip to the library, check it out, and never check it back in. I'd buy it, and hope they would not reorder.

I have other Ideas also, but I guess I'd just be bringing myself down to the level they want. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
pdislow

ban

Post by pdislow »

a few years ago my daughter brought home a similar anti-hunting book whi ch was on her reading list. we sat down and discussed the book and our hunting ect. then i helped her find the Annie Oakley story book and had her read it and turn in a book report to her teacher on Annie's life. and when her teacher asked me "what was that all about" i told her that since she was required to read anti-hunting propaganda in the other book i required her to read and report on Annie O. my daughter was impressed with Annie's skills and acomplishments. we all need to pay attention to what our kids are getting in the name of education!
thanks philip
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

:evil: I agree with Butcher. Check the book out, loose it, and then offer to pay for it. I'd love to be there to watch it burn.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
stump

Post by stump »

Sorry guys, but I think I'll have to go against the grain on this one. While I encourage everyone to discuss it with their children and to present a more balanced view of wildlife management, that will do little to stem the tide of anti-hunting sentiment the book is creating or reinforcing in the classroom. If possible, I'd suggest contacting the school board to discuss the situation with the appropriate Superintendent. Possible solutions might include removing the book from the curriculum; providing another book with a more positive pro-hunting focus; or having an open discussion in the classroom(s) on the ethics of hunting and the impact of hunting/non-hunting on our environment. In fact, I think the latter approach should be taken in all elementary schools in North America.
If we limit ourselves to educating only our own children, we place them in the same unenviable position many of us find ourselves in, defending our pro-hunitng rights against those who've been raised in anti-hunting environments and are seeking to erode those rights. If we let this pass, we'll have 20 - 30 children/per classroom progressing into adulthood with a distorted view of hunters and hunting. Some of these children will eventually be law makers.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Stump,
Not trying to be a wise A$$, but the book was at a local library, not a school library. Had it been in school, I also agree, take a trip to the school. I also agree we need to ecucate all children. But in a puplic library, I'd do my part, and make the book disappear. It would be nice if you could replace the innards of the book, with something like "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow by Saxon Pope" and then return it also. Butcher
TAC

Post by TAC »

Ok, so I've been lurking the past few weeks without posting but this has drawn me out.

Now just because we disagree with the topic of the book, it should be banned? Better yet, it should be vandalised or stolen?

Gimme a break. There's lots of books in the library discussing topics that I don't agree with. Vandalism and theft is a really poor way of dealing with the objection to the book.

Would you think it was ok if PETA members destroyed or stole all the hunting magazines and books at your local library? They have every right to disagree with the book's topics or author's thoughts, therefore they must have the right to destroy the books in the same way.

The suggestions put forth are simply irrational reactions to a topic near and dear to all of us. Educate those who disagree with discussion, not by breaking the law.

For those that still advocate the actions mentioned in previous posts, shame on you.

Post by Guest »

Butcher, you mean I'm actually supposed to read before I start responding. Sorry about that, I missed the "local library" reference. Since it is a public library, I'd do what others have suggested, speak to my child(ren) and provide a more objective view of wildlife management and the environment.

TAC, I hope you weren't referring to the options I suggested, as I don't find them to be offensive (even if they are misdirected). I agree with you that we can't burn, steal or otherwise destroy the books we don't like or disagree with. Our arguments should be, and in my opinion are, strong enough to stand on their own merits. If an anti-hunting group or individual were to burn or destroy pro-hunting books we'd be upset, and rightfully so.

By the way, welcome back.
TAC

Post by TAC »

TAC, I hope you weren't referring to the options I suggested, as I don't find them to be offensive (even if they are misdirected).
Sorry, by suggestions I meant those that advocate breaking the law, not yours. I should have proof-read better before sending the post.

By the way, welcome back.
Thanks. I never went anywhere though---just didn't have the desire to post. Still likely gonna continue to lurk for the most part.

Post by Guest »

Here's an update guys.....

A few years back the Ontario Provincial Govt. banned the book on Hunter Safety Course from Ontario schools.

Mothers were interviewed and asked what they thought of their kids learning how to handle firearms at school!!!!!!!!!
The books were dropped like a lead balloon from the school libraries

BTW, It was the same ding-dong Anti-hunter from Toronto who started the whole process of banning the Spring Bear Hunt in Ontario.
I can't remember his name nor do i care to but i do remember he owns some chemical manufacturing plant North of Toronto.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Well heck TAC, Just spell it out, it is quite obvious who your talking about, ME. LOL That's fine, I respect your opinion. Or maybe I don't. I really don't know you well enough to just give you respect. I do know however, you can't talk to the anti's. All you can do is educate the ones who have not really picked a side. And yes, one of the guys stated We certainly have enough on our side to justify our sport, and he is 100% correct. But let's be real, do you think a real dyed in the wool (hey that's like an oxymoron) bunny hugger, when sitting in a doctor's office, sees a copy of deer and deer hunting, or North American Whitetail laying around, they don't think about the same(or at least put them on the bottom so no one else sees them). By the way, it would not be stealing if I paid for the book if it became lost! Maybe that did sound bad, but that crap really bothers me. Lucky, I live very rural, where hunting is accepted. We don't have the big anti push some area's have. Sorry if I offended you are others, and I don't encourage them to break any law. But speaking for myself, I know what I'd do if I saw a copy of the book.

Post by Guest »

Anyone that advocates destroying or vandalising books from a library is both ignorant and undereducated.

Need I remind you of the the book burnings by the Third Reich in 1933 Germany.

You damn fools.

Open a history book and READ!