Shooting Bobcats

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Shooting Bobcats

Post by SEW »

I just saw the coyote thread so I thought I’d give bobcats a chance also.
I have 100 acres of back yard woods and am joined by about 100 more acres. This year while deer hunting I saw two bobcats: a yellow one and a darker version. I recently killed one with a crossbow that was about to pounce on one of three does.
Now that I’m through with deer hunting for this year, it’s time to try to eliminate the cats and any coyotes that come along.
Today was cold, ice on trees, just miserable. With about 30 minutes of shooting light I got into my blind and using my Foxpro I started using the “Lucky Bird” call. The Foxpro was about 40 yards from my elevated blind.
Within 10 minutes the cat came right under my blind and hung up about 25 yards out and looking all around. It was very wary. More than normal. It started off away from the caller (8’ up in the tree). I quickly shot - about 25 yards and forgot to compensate for the scope height and the short range.
The cat took off at the shot. The lack of compensating for the low hit at short range registered immediately. However, thru the scope I could see a big blotch of blood. 75 yards later I came upon the cat that had had its heart blown away. 223, 24” barrel, 40 NBT, 28g TAC, 3,700 ‘/sec - QL/QT load, safe in mine, yours?). No crossbow. I’m after these deer killers in my woods!

Last edited by SEW on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
vixenmaster

Re: Shooting Coyotes

Post by vixenmaster »

Steve congrats on that varmit, hope you get the other one n all the nasty yotes you see
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
XB I GO

Re: Shooting Bobcats

Post by XB I GO »

My Dad has killed just one Bobcat. He said he likes to watch them and they are one of the coolest animals he sees in the wild. This one was a really nice coat and color and was taken with a bow. He had it full-size mounted.

SEW

Post by SEW »

Very nice. They will attack deer, especially fawns. I don’t hunt in order to kill unless it’s for food (Turkey/bear/deer) or unless it’s something I think needs to be removed. Coyotes and bobcats are in the latter category. Though I prefer to hunt with my xbow, when I’m not bear/deer/turkey hunting, I’m only hunting coyotes or bobcats. For them, I’ll use whatever i have that is most efficient. For me, 17 HMR or 223.
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Way to go. Cool paint job too.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Keeping adding to the pile.

Mike, coyotes are relatively rare on my land. They normally come just to try to eat my cat which happened last Dec. I expect Bobcats are a bit hard on domestic cats also. Foxes??
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fox will sure try to get what they can, they are not good fighters. They sure are slick n amusing to watch. I have saw 3 Bobs n i think they were one n the same stocky male. I did not see but one yote this season n it was not in range of my crossbow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315