Shooting my new to me BD400, first impressions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

Shooting my new to me BD400, first impressions

Post by Smong2000 »

Well we got nice weather on the 1st day of spring so I had to take out the new equipment and sight her in. Here's what I've seen so far;

Good stuff,
I had no problem cocking the bow over 2 dozen times with my short rope
Not as loud as expected after shooting without the airbrakes in my garage
ACCURATE! I wasn't sure if I would notice but wow, at 40 yds it shot to the same hole consistently with the 2 Diablo arrows I used with just elbows rested
Speed was adequate with factory string set at 1 7/8" and 378 grains

Not so good stuff,
The C2 crank is not really usable for a lefty with the cheek rest, good thing I don't depend on it
Many screws came loose, discovered front stock screw was retapped to larger diameter and rear was almost completely stripped out
Short arrows are a pain in a soft bag target, penetration is right to the fletching
Fletching is deformed by trigger box when my factory arrows are loaded, clearly didn't hurt accuracy but it is a bit disturbing

So far it seems to be easier to cock, a lot more accurate or forgiving and not too far off the Micro I had in size and weight. I am going to get a slightly longer rear stock screw at the hardware store and tap it into the 'tab' in the frame. There doesn't appear to be enough room to use a thread insert over the trigger block. If anyone has better suggestions for the stock screw please let me know. Also will be cleaning all the bolts and blue loctite treating them. Can't wait till I can shoot it out to 100yds off a bench.
RobD

Re: Shooting my new to me BD400, first impressions

Post by RobD »

I did not notice the fletchings being deformed by the trigger box when I shot my newly acquired BD400. I tried both Diablos and Black Eagle Executioners. I'll take a look at mine tonight to confirm, but I'm pretty sure the fletchings shouldn't be touching the trigger box. The only way I can think of this happening is if you didn't put one fletching in the rail slot when you loaded the Diablo.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD (Two of 'em)
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)
Matrix 380

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Some arrows are fletched wid not enuff vane to nock clearance. They do a 1 1/8 or even 1 3/16 n its not enuff as the vanes get pushed over as the arrow is slid back into the trigger claws.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
janesy

Post by janesy »

Smong2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am
Well we got nice weather on the 1st day of spring so I had to take out the new equipment and sight her in. Here's what I've seen so far;

Good stuff,
I had no problem cocking the bow over 2 dozen times with my short rope
Not as loud as expected after shooting without the airbrakes in my garage
ACCURATE! I wasn't sure if I would notice but wow, at 40 yds it shot to the same hole consistently with the 2 Diablo arrows I used with just elbows rested
Speed was adequate with factory string set at 1 7/8" and 378 grains

Not so good stuff,
The C2 crank is not really usable for a lefty with the cheek rest, good thing I don't depend on it
Many screws came loose, discovered front stock screw was retapped to larger diameter and rear was almost completely stripped out
Short arrows are a pain in a soft bag target, penetration is right to the fletching
Fletching is deformed by trigger box when my factory arrows are loaded, clearly didn't hurt accuracy but it is a bit disturbing

So far it seems to be easier to cock, a lot more accurate or forgiving and not too far off the Micro I had in size and weight. I am going to get a slightly longer rear stock screw at the hardware store and tap it into the 'tab' in the frame. There doesn't appear to be enough room to use a thread insert over the trigger block. If anyone has better suggestions for the stock screw please let me know. Also will be cleaning all the bolts and blue loctite treating them. Can't wait till I can shoot it out to 100yds off a bench.
Initially I believe, some bulldog bows didn't have the threaded spacer at the rear by the trigger block. Does yours screw directly to the rail, or into a spacer? See below .

Also to note, the last 400 I stripped down was a 2017 model, it was not locktited. As of 2018 all bows come from the factory loctited everywhere. That was not the case in older models. This has been my experience, and not an official thing I can confirm.

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Mine screws directly into the rail and had no loctite anywhere. Maybe that's why it shakes loose every 10 shots. I'm thinking about removing all of the screws, cleaning them well, and applying Blue loctite.
If anyone has suggestions about the rear stock screw situation, please let me know. As of now I just plan to get a longer screw and chase the threads into the tab on the rail. I'll put a lock washer under the head and loctite the threads before replacing the trigger group. Don't know how the threaded spacer would fit without interference with the trigger mechanism. ...
janesy

Post by janesy »

Smong2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:16 pm
Mine screws directly into the rail and had no loctite anywhere. Maybe that's why it shakes loose every 10 shots. I'm thinking about removing all of the screws, cleaning them well, and applying Blue loctite.
If anyone has suggestions about the rear stock screw situation, please let me know. As of now I just plan to get a longer screw and chase the threads into the tab on the rail. I'll put a lock washer under the head and loctite the threads before replacing the trigger group. Don't know how the threaded spacer would fit without interference with the trigger mechanism. ...
It's just held on with a small 10/32 screw through the hole that's existing.
It was common practise to add locktite to all the bows up until last model year. Now the fasteners are on there for ever from factory
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Smong2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:16 pm
This is your huckleberry https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=PEz9yBnGN-U
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Thanks Boo. I bought one of those at Harbor Freight and there isn't enough space between the trigger block and rail for the insert. Front would be fine though. Hate to start grinding on the block so an insert would fit if I don't have to. It may need a trip back to Ontario or Ohio if the loctite doesn't work.