Any new plans for 2021

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber
Posts: 11370
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by xcaliber » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:44 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Matrix 380 (Max) Nikon P3 / TT / SWAT A-4 Mini Heads
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 / SWAT A-4 Mini Heads
Vortex (Kix) Nikon P3 / TT / Bigfoot / SWAT Hybrid Heads

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Boo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm

I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Random acts of kindness can change the world.

xcaliber
Posts: 11370
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by xcaliber » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 pm

Boo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm
I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
I'm going to have my Girl's read this Don! :clap: :clap:
Matrix 380 (Max) Nikon P3 / TT / SWAT A-4 Mini Heads
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 / SWAT A-4 Mini Heads
Vortex (Kix) Nikon P3 / TT / Bigfoot / SWAT Hybrid Heads

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by janesy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:44 am

Boo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm
I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
You thought you were busy three years ago 😂
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

User avatar
Carnivorous
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: Belleriver Ontario

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Carnivorous » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:05 am

Winter jack and coyote hunting.
Spring walleye.
Spring turkey.
Spring bear. (My personal favorite hunt)!!
Summer fishing
Fall archery deer
Fall black powder 🦌

That's a full schedule!! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Boo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 am

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:44 am
Boo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm
I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
You thought you were busy three years ago 😂
I know! I've taken on some responsibilities for another bow company too!
xcaliber wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 pm
Boo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm
I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
I'm going to have my Girl's read this Don! :clap: :clap:
Dan, they don't make land anymore so the prices will never drop like stocks. There is flexibility with land as well as far as inheritance goes. But if you get a modest sized piece of hunting land that can eventually be built on and you can hunt on for years why not? It really is a win, win situation. If you do it, you're going to kick yourself in the ass for not doing it years prior. If you're going to leave your kids something do you think they'll be upset if it's land?
If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Random acts of kindness can change the world.

User avatar
AJ01
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:09 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by AJ01 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 am

Boo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 am
Dan, they don't make land anymore so the prices will never drop like stocks. There is flexibility with land as well as far as inheritance goes. But if you get a modest sized piece of hunting land that can eventually be built on and you can hunt on for years why not? It really is a win, win situation. If you do it, you're going to kick yourself in the ass for not doing it years prior. If you're going to leave your kids something do you think they'll be upset if it's land?
Boo is 100% correct!! Originally there was only so many pieces of dirt to go around. No more will ever be made, and once they are all gone, that's it!!
I've tried to pick up as much as possible over the years. It's worked out pretty well. I don't have to go "looking" for a deer lease every year. I don't have to seek permission to hunt somewhere. :eusa-snooty:
I can do what I want on the property. Let who I want on the property, and tell folks to STAY OFF the property!! :lol:

I have 3 different places. All within a few miles of me. If the opportunity arises to pick up another parcel I will do that too. :thumbup:
I have my eye on a 10 acre parcel of creek bottom that's probably 400 yards from my house. Problem is the guy wants way to much for it! But..I know there are deer on the place. He doesn't allow anyone to hunt. :eusa-naughty:
I have seen deer cross the road there....

I will guarantee you this, LAND will never go down in price unless someone drops a nuclear bomb on it!! :lol:

And if they do, I'll scrape off the top layer and have it hauled off, if I can get it for the right price!! Just saying.... :lol: :wink: :lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be cause we destroyed ourselves".
Howdy from Deep within the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!! :wave:
Just make mine an Excalibur!!
AJ :mrgreen:

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Boo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:45 pm

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 am
Boo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 am
Dan, they don't make land anymore so the prices will never drop like stocks. There is flexibility with land as well as far as inheritance goes. But if you get a modest sized piece of hunting land that can eventually be built on and you can hunt on for years why not? It really is a win, win situation. If you do it, you're going to kick yourself in the ass for not doing it years prior. If you're going to leave your kids something do you think they'll be upset if it's land?
Boo is 100% correct!! Originally there was only so many pieces of dirt to go around. No more will ever be made, and once they are all gone, that's it!!
I've tried to pick up as much as possible over the years. It's worked out pretty well. I don't have to go "looking" for a deer lease every year. I don't have to seek permission to hunt somewhere. :eusa-snooty:
I can do what I want on the property. Let who I want on the property, and tell folks to STAY OFF the property!! :lol:

I have 3 different places. All within a few miles of me. If the opportunity arises to pick up another parcel I will do that too. :thumbup:
I have my eye on a 10 acre parcel of creek bottom that's probably 400 yards from my house. Problem is the guy wants way to much for it! But..I know there are deer on the place. He doesn't allow anyone to hunt. :eusa-naughty:
I have seen deer cross the road there....

I will guarantee you this, LAND will never go down in price unless someone drops a nuclear bomb on it!! :lol:

And if they do, I'll scrape off the top layer and have it hauled off, if I can get it for the right price!! Just saying.... :lol: :wink: :lol:
Multiple properties of 10 acres in the right spot is perfect! I have 38 and 26 acres but they are just properties that came up. If I could find another at 10 or even 5 acres in the right spot, I'd buy it. People think you need big land but for deer you don't. The only down side I see with 5 to 10 acres is that you can only hunt it once a week and twice is pushing it but if you really can sneak in, I think twice a week is ok. For me, 3 is perfect because I have almost exclusive access to other lands.
If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Random acts of kindness can change the world.

User avatar
AJ01
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:09 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by AJ01 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:12 pm

[/quote]
Multiple properties of 10 acres in the right spot is perfect! I have 38 and 26 acres but they are just properties that came up. If I could find another at 10 or even 5 acres in the right spot, I'd buy it. People think you need big land but for deer you don't. The only down side I see with 5 to 10 acres is that you can only hunt it once a week and twice is pushing it but if you really can sneak in, I think twice a week is ok. For me, 3 is perfect because I have almost exclusive access to other lands.
[/quote]



Yes Sir, 3 is good. But the more the merrier!! :lol: I have parcels of 27, 40 and 68 acres. I am basically the only one who hunts any of these properties. Why? Cause I only allow folks to bow hunt them. My son-in-law that lives close to me has 15 acres. He hunts it twice a year. That's it. But he "gun hunts' it!
His 15 acres is less than a quarter mile from my 27. I've seen the same bucks on my camera that he has on his, until he fires the first shot. Then he has no bucks!! But I do.
I plant peas, clover, oats, wheat and rye. Usually in a 1-4 acre plot depending upon the size of the property. I have also added water sources to a couple of these to hold deer during the summer months. Basically large rubber maid tubs buried at ground level. I can fill them if needed from a tote on a trailer, or they can and will catch rain run-off.
On the 27 and 40 acres I have not set foot on these since the first part of December. I killed one deer off of each one of them. Then went to the large tract and killed my 3rd.
Big deer are where you cultivate them. I killed my biggest 10 point to date off of 13 acres years ago. Guy who owned it at the time claimed there were no deer on it. Boy was he surprised. :wtf:
It's all about habitat!! WE... as the owner/hunters need to be a good steward of what we have been given!!

Just the thoughts of an Old East Texas Redneck!!
AJ
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be cause we destroyed ourselves".
Howdy from Deep within the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!! :wave:
Just make mine an Excalibur!!
AJ :mrgreen:

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by janesy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:50 pm

Boo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 am
janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:44 am
Boo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm
I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
You thought you were busy three years ago 😂
I know! I've taken on some responsibilities for another bow company too!
xcaliber wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 pm
Boo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm
I want to expand the area around my food plot with more beans, peas and oats at one property. I cleared a half acre area in another property and I have to drag a whack of trees out. I'd like to find one more property as well. All properties will be for my kids when I croak, meantime I get to use it. I want get out soon to do some coyote hunting using a crossbow. I have to play catch up and sight in 3 rifles and fine tune another. I have a number of other projects but the .ost important one is getting my butt in gear and getting some 100 yd shooting in with a couple of crossbows. Lastly, I want to get lots of bite work in with my 2 land sharks.
Gotta put my nose to the grind stone and getter done!
I'm going to have my Girl's read this Don! :clap: :clap:
Dan, they don't make land anymore so the prices will never drop like stocks. There is flexibility with land as well as far as inheritance goes. But if you get a modest sized piece of hunting land that can eventually be built on and you can hunt on for years why not? It really is a win, win situation. If you do it, you're going to kick yourself in the ass for not doing it years prior. If you're going to leave your kids something do you think they'll be upset if it's land?
You have to make sure you GIVE them the land before you kick it, or else the govt takes their 4% probate on the appraised value regardless of what you paid for it. Land is easy to give, land with a house or cottage... Not so much. Then the capitol gains comes out of your estate.

Just finished that nightmare last year. Either way your estate does not get settled quickly when there is land involved. And probate always gets paid first...unless their is no land left in your name.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by janesy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm

Your crossbow collection on the other hand, just leave us the keys to the shop, we will take good care of those.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12902
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Boo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm
Your crossbow collection on the other hand, just leave us the keys to the shop, we will take good care of those.
Thought about that but until I’m ready to hang up my spurs, I’ll keep possession. Both girls have been married 2 and 3 yrs ago and I’d rather not have to beat anyone to get my land back in case of a divorce.
Probated property is $5 per thousand up to $50,000 and then $15 per thousand after that. We just went through that with 2 of my wife’s relatives. But, it took 2 years!
If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Random acts of kindness can change the world.

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by janesy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Boo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm
janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm
Your crossbow collection on the other hand, just leave us the keys to the shop, we will take good care of those.
Thought about that but until I’m ready to hang up my spurs, I’ll keep possession. Both girls have been married 2 and 3 yrs ago and I’d rather not have to beat anyone to get my land back in case of a divorce.
Probated property is $5 per thousand up to $50,000 and then $15 per thousand after that. We just went through that with 2 of my wife’s relatives. But, it took 2 years!
That's not bad for vacant land at all. With a building on it they combine it with the entire estate and simply take 4% of the total. Call it the death tax
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

User avatar
AJ01
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:09 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by AJ01 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 pm
Your crossbow collection on the other hand, just leave us the keys to the shop, we will take good care of those.
Chris, you sound like my son-in-laws!!! :lol: :lol:
Of course it's not only crossbows, but other items as well!!! :angel:

And yes, you MUST plan ahead. If you don't, and expire without a will or decree, the State gets to decide what happens to your stuff. I personally don't want any governmental agency deciding anything about me or the people I care about!! :eusa-naughty:
Just saying.... :eusa-snooty:

AJ
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be cause we destroyed ourselves".
Howdy from Deep within the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!! :wave:
Just make mine an Excalibur!!
AJ :mrgreen:

User avatar
Deaf jeff
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 am
Location: tip of the mitt in lower michigan

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Deaf jeff » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am

major habitat improvements. logging going on now on my entire 80 acres. come spring will be planting pine and hinge cutting for a 3-5 acre bedding area, had dozer work done last week for another 1/2 acre foodplot, installing a water hole using heavy duty pit liner that is used in oil/gas field pits, and possibly addition blinds on property as well so i can move around to different locations so deer cannot pattern me and my atv.. wont be enough time this spring/summer..... :shock: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST

Jeff
matrix 355 w/ y25 stock
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/80gr brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife

Post Reply