Swat thoughts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Swat thoughts

Post by longbow joe »

I have had a lot of success last season with the swat A-4 bucks doe ,turkey.
I normally use a cabellas lazerstrike 2 out of my vixen but this season I'm gonna move over to the
A-4 mini.
Shot one clear thru a watermelon today lengthwise and have put the swhacker /spitfires thru deer also with the 255 fps "powerhouse " so l see no problems.
As far as the other bows I'm gonna go with the chisel tip rather than the knife 🔪 up front when l reorder just don't see the need for it.
I went through 4 packs last year on doe only have a few left
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Re: Swat thoughts

Post by xcaliber »

Love the A-4 mini heads. Good luck this fall Joe!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have been talking to Scott at SWAT about the 2021 Juggernaut TITANIUM priced about $55.00 per pack.
Titanium, with a total cut of 2.75", with a steep angled .040 blade can be shot fixed or mechanical he says.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

:eusa-popcorn:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Swat heads are all I will use. They drain my game every time!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Wasn't real impressed with the Hybrid. Broke blade no exit hole, no blood etc.

Check previous threads from last yr.

Since they sent a replacement set of the new Hybrid TI.
Titanium. Figured I've give them another chance. Gonna try shooting as a mechanical this time around.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm going to use the standard Hybrid in the fixed position with my slow bow this fall. I have a good feeling about them. I have a ton of the mechanical A-4 Minis for the beast, but more to come soon I hope.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When l got the vixen l was set on using a fixed blade for pennitration but surprisingly l never saw that all the spitfires went thru and even the shwacker hybrid that l shot a big buck with went through and about 10 lazerstrikes went through..so I'm over the fixed thing.
When you think of it many compounds are 250 fps and people don't hesitate to use these heads.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Reading reviews. Not necessarily swat but all broadheads get some sort of negative reviews.

Could be a manufactors problem, a flight or angle problem, arrow alignment, etc. , thats the reason for the failure.

Over the yrs, like most of you ,I've used dozens of different brands. Never really have much negative to say about any of them.

Trying to narrow it down to 1 or 2 brands or type isn't easy. Mainly cuz , like a lot of you, always interested in something new/different.

I decided not to get the newest this yr. Lol

I do think the new swat juggernauts might need a second look, really killer design and very innovative technology!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:35 pm
When l got the vixen l was set on using a fixed blade for pennitration but surprisingly l never saw that all the spitfires went thru and even the shwacker hybrid that l shot a big buck with went through and about 10 lazerstrikes went through..so I'm over the fixed thing.
When you think of it many compounds are 250 fps and people don't hesitate to use these heads.
Where were the hits? Did you have any bad hits where you hit a shoulder or other bone? My thinking is to plan for that scenario so I'll be good in that case, knowing if it ends up being a broadside rib cage only deal, that heavier arrow will also work just fine.

I'm gonna use 150gr Magnus Stinger 2 blades out of my Micro this year.....mostly because I'm cheap and I have a bunch lying around, but with a 110gr brass insert, blazers and a Lumenok, it will qualify as "pretty heavy". Plus they are easy to resharpen.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:39 am
I have been talking to Scott at SWAT about the 2021 Juggernaut TITANIUM priced about $55.00 per pack.
Titanium, with a total cut of 2.75", with a steep angled .040 blade can be shot fixed or mechanical he says.
Interesting......but my thought is, with how easy it is to get a good fixed blades to fly out of these bows, why shoot a mechanical in a fixed position? Why not just shoot a true fixed?

But I also get that shooting a fixed at 300fps is quite a bit different from getting good flight at 400fps. But I would also argue that if you don't have good fixed blade flight at 400fps, then you need to fix your arrows so you do as that is the real issue.

Anyway....hit 'em in the lungs and don't worry about it. It will be 50yards away or less!! HAHA!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When l got my first excalibur l was shooting 150 grain boltcutters with 100 grain brass inserts kinda heavy but they worked just fine ,shot great in the wind with no excessive drop at real hunting distances.
I love a fixed blade with me it's more about simplicity with 6 crossbows tuning a mechanical is much easier because they all fly as a field point and bolts cut at 19 inches l can shoot from a matrix or exo bow no worries its all about less agrivation and no exposed blade to jab myself with is also good.
Last edited by longbow joe on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:28 pm
Normous wrote:
why shoot a mechanical in a fixed position?
You may arrive at your Outfitter with a mechanical only to be told you cannot use a Mechanical hunting there. Hence, the ability to have broadhead option.
Or arriving in another State and finding out mechanicals cannot be used. Having an option is welcome.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:56 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:28 pm
Normous wrote:
why shoot a mechanical in a fixed position?
You may arrive at your Outfitter with a mechanical only to be told you cannot use a Mechanical hunting there. Hence, the ability to have broadhead option.
Or arriving in another State and finding out mechanicals cannot be used. Having an option is welcome.
Good to have options. That's smart. But I could also see where some game officer with a bug up his butt wouldn't care
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:12 pm
with me it's more about simplicity with 6 crossbows ...
You're killing me Smalls! :lol: :lol:

But yeah I hear you. I end up with 2 different yet similar arrow setups for my 2 bows...and they are both Micros!
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><