F.O.C.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Toyotun04

F.O.C.

Post by Toyotun04 »

What is the f.o.c. percentage I should be shooting for? I'm currently shooting 16.5 inch zombie slayers. They have 110 grain inserts and lumenocks installed. I'm using 150 grain slick trick crossbow broadheads. This setup shoots great to 40 yards, my personal limit. I realize if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I'm just curious. Thanks, Robert
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
longbow joe

Re: F.O.C.

Post by longbow joe »

Most of us have settled with a 110 insert and a 100 or 125 point .

Nothing wrong with your choice as long as you have 200 up front or more seems like the magic minimum.
Your heavy head will quiet you bow,buck the wind and pennitrate well.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:09 am
Most of us have settled with a 110 insert and a 100 or 125 point .

Nothing wrong with your choice as long as you have 200 up front or more seems like the magic minimum.
Your heavy head will quiet you bow,buck the wind and pennitrate well.
….agree with LBJ….if your arra shoots well then who gives a flying FOC what the FOC is!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

:thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Toyotun04 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:39 pm
What is the f.o.c. percentage I should be shooting for? I'm currently shooting 16.5 inch zombie slayers. They have 110 grain inserts and lumenocks installed. I'm using 150 grain slick trick crossbow broadheads. This setup shoots great to 40 yards, my personal limit. I realize if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I'm just curious. Thanks, Robert
This is basically my setup as well....except my arrows are 16" not 16.5". You are 1000% ready to go, and will blast that arrow through just about anything. If I recall FOC is in the 20% range......but the stiffness of the ZS helps a lot with penetration.

Good Luck!!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I have spent the last few months reading a lot about overall weight and F.O.C and testing different setups with different F.O.C percentages and would say you are right in the sweet spot at around 19%-20%. Higher overall weight and high F.O.C significantly improves momentum and penetration.

I am using 18.0 inch shafts and my overall weight is 440 grains with an F.O.C just over 19%. I am using the 126 grain Slick Tricks and you are using the 150 grain. You should have no issues getting consistent pass throughs with good shots.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm shooting the same setup in all my Micros with 100gr heads, both fixed and mechanical and all fly well. With your additional 50 grains up front, you've got FOC to spare. As a result, yours should shoot excellent. Out to 30 yards, you'd probably get a pass through on a deer standing behind a sheet of 1/2 plywood. If you hit a tree after the pass through, just unscrew the broadhead because its gonna be deep. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When l got my micro l was shooting gold tip bolts with 110 grain inserts and 150 boltcutters.
Other than dropping a little at 40 yards that combo really shot nice and was very quiet.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.