best silencers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gsfxst

best silencers

Post by gsfxst »

I just bought my first cross bow.A GRZ2 package. Im looking for advice on what to add to bow to quiet it down .
janesy

Re: best silencers

Post by janesy »

Heavier arrows and a Flemish string. Otherwise you are trying to obtain the unobtainable, at the cost of speed.

These bows are loud, it is what it is. By the time a deer hears it your arrows is already through it and buried in the ground.

Spend your money on good arrows and all will be good. Congrats on the new bow :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

janesy wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:16 pm
Heavier arrows and a Flemish string. Otherwise you are trying to obtain the unobtainable, at the cost of speed.

These bows are loud, it is what it is. By the time a deer hears it your arrows is already through it and buried in the ground.

Spend your money on good arrows and all will be good. Congrats on the new bow :thumbup:
....YUP!.....agreed....I added Danny Miller Bumpers (purchased from flightattendant100....not sure if he has anymore).....after shooting many of the higher powered Excals, the GRZ2 is such a welcomed relief and not much noticeable speed loss....I roll my own arra's and with the ZS I think I am at around 420g's.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

The GRZ being a Matrix will accommodate the use of 452X/Xcel in a Flemish string which has Vectran. I use it upto and including the 380 and have used it myself on a 405. My cat whiskers cost about 6 ft/sec and are effective in lowering noise. One of the issues with the GRZ is the waffle pattern in the mainframe which tends allow more noise than aluminum. It might be worth your time to lay some Gorilla tape to cover the waffle pattern to see if there is any perceived noise reduction. If it works, you can try something else like silicone RTV or maybe leather. But keep in mind that no amount of noise reduction is going to buy you a deer. My advice to anyone is if you are going to put in an effort to reduce noise, do it for your ears, not the deer's ear.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gsfxst

Post by gsfxst »

Whats a good sight to find cross bow parts.
Boo

Post by Boo »

gsfxst wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 pm
Whats a good sight to find cross bow parts.
What are you looking for specifically? You haven't filled out your location so where are you? It sometimes is easier to help if we know where you are.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I got some fuzz buster thingys from Danny Miller. they took my Axiom from a loud twang to a quieter twang. very happier with it. Don't think it could be any quieter than what it is.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The posters are correct in saying that you can't totally silence a crossbow but if you shoot one of my exo bows with a wrapped stirrup and other silencers it's like night n day plus the Bow is just much more enjoyable to shoot especially in my yard.
I usually shrink wrap the arrow holder didn't get to it yet that's a big cause of noise.
My exo bows loose about 5feet per second wit this stuff no worries
Shooting a 110 grain insert and 125 grain broadhead helps also over the standard insert and broadhead factory combo.
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/nCSXfCfF]Image
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 pm
[url=https://postimg.cc/nCSXfCfF]Image
On this set up, the wood stock reduces the most noise.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

On my Exomax that I bought first in 2009, I got a Boo string w whiskers. Helped a touch. I put STS string stops on it. Helped a touch. Wrapped stirrup. Same result. Then a wood stock. Again maybe a touch quieter. I was pretty disappointed with my silencing work…. Until I short a factory stock bow. WOW! None made a huge difference, but all together it was quite noticeable.
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:57 pm
On my Exomax that I bought first in 2009, I got a Boo string w whiskers. Helped a touch. I put STS string stops on it. Helped a touch. Wrapped stirrup. Same result. Then a wood stock. Again maybe a touch quieter. I was pretty disappointed with my silencing work…. Until I short a factory stock bow. WOW! None made a huge difference, but all together it was quite noticeable.
Just goes to show you that the noise starts at one place (limb tips) and comes out everywhere. It also shows what the human mind can get accustomed to, just ask your wife! :mrgreen:
Normous

Post by Normous »

:lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Normous wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:45 pm
:lol:
I thought for sure you were going to say ear plugs! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Heavy arrow, Flemish string. Heavy arrow, REDS system, Heavy Arrow, thats about it. OH yeah..use a heavy arrow (500 grains). Guys do lots of other stuff but my perception is it does not eliminate much noise, only maybe changes the frequency of it. Most of it just costs you speed.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><