Doe #1 (and #2 sort of)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Doe #1 (and #2 sort of)

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm hunting with 2 younger guys this year. Thursday night the newest of the 2 went out by himself and shot at a small buck. He thought he missed but had some blood (and fat) on the arrow. He looked for awhile but couldn't find it so at 9:30PM I headed out to help. Blood was sparse at first but got better about 40 yards into the track but then got less and less until it stopped about 100 yards in. Not another drop. Couldn't find any with my blood light or even with some stuff I have that makes blood glow blue. So he lost his first deer. He is of course crushed but even more determined to get a deer now. Took him to a good place Saturday evening and he saw 4 but no shot. Same with me. I had 1 doe come in and give me a brief 25 yard look, but there were some logs and I had my recurve and wasn't comfortable enough to take it as 25 is my limit. No worries...it's a long season. So Sunday evening me and the other guy go back to the same place. The younger guy couldn't go because he had a "date night" with his wife. This time I took my crossbow. Had one come in and hang around at 40 yards but no closer, so I let it go, then at 6:00PM had 2 more come in. The bigger of the 2 stopped at 35 and was intently watching some activity on the road. I sent a Magnus 2 blade through her lungs. Track was only about 60 yards (100% in a pine thicket), but wow. Almost no blood. Like only 30 drops or so. So I find this deer at 7:00PM and field dress it and walk back to the truck. It's about 7:30 and my buddy comes out and said he just shot a doe right at last light, but hadn't tracked it yet. We head back and find her. rather quickly. He too shot a Magnus (out of his compound) and there was blood everywhere. Downward angle helps as he hunts from a saddle. While he's field dressing his deer, I text the other guy...."Hey if you want to see a couple dead deer stop by in about an hour. How was date night?"

Was that bad? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by nchunterkw on Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
grouse

Re: Doe #1 (and #2 sort of)

Post by grouse »

Congratulations and a good story!
axiom
350 SE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the both harvest!
Blood trails are strange things with little rime or reason to them .
Shot angle, How the hide is stretched at the time of impact , how meat , fat organs can move to plug holes ect all are a factor .
Take your night for example one hunter might think I don't like this head the blood trail was disappointing and the other hunter would be happy as can be with the same head .
I have seen a 3 inch mechanical leave almost no blood when the organs were bulging out the hole plugging it.
I also have seen outrageous blood trails for 100 yards dry up and no deer ever recovered.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:44 pm
Congratulations on the both harvest!
Blood trails are strange things with little rime or reason to them .
Shot angle, How the hide is stretched at the time of impact , how meat , fat, organs, hide can move to plug holes ect all are a factor .
Take your night for example one hunter might think I don't like this head the blood trail was disappointing and the other hunter would be happy as can be with the same head .
I have seen a 3 inch mechanical leave almost no blood when the organs were bulging out the hole plugging it.
I also have seen outrageous blood trails for 100 yards dry up and no deer ever recovered.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Teach them Keith! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:50 pm
I'm hunting with 2 younger guys this year. Thursday night the newest of the 2 went out by himself and shot at a small buck. He thought he missed but had some blood (and fat) on the arrow. He looked for awhile but couldn't find it so at 9:30PM I headed out to help. Blood was sparse at first but got better about 40 yards into the track but then got less and less until it stopped about 100 yards in. Not another drop. Couldn't find any with my blood light or even with some stuff I have that makes blood glow blue. So he lost his first deer. He is of course crushed but even more determined to get a deer now. Took him to a good place Saturday evening and he saw 4 but no shot. Same with me. I had 1 doe come in and give me a brief 25 yard look, but there were some logs and I had my recurve and wasn't comfortable enough to take it as 25 is my limit. No worries...it's a long season. So Sunday evening me and the other guy go back to the same place. The younger guy couldn't go because he had a "date night" with his wife. This time I took my crossbow. Had one come in and hang around at 40 yards but no closer, so I let it go, then at 6:00PM had 2 more come in. The bigger of the 2 stopped at 35 and was intently watching some activity on the road. I sent a Magnus 2 blade through her lungs. Track was only about 60 yards (100% in a pine thicket), but wow. Almost no blood. Like only 30 drops or so. So I find this deer at 7:00PM and field dress it and walk back to the truck. It's about 7:30 and my buddy comes out and said he just shot a doe right at last light, but hadn't tracked it yet. We head back and find her. rather quickly. He too shot a Magnus (out of his compound) and there was blood everywhere. Downward angle helps as he hunts from a saddle. While he's field dressing his deer, I text the other guy...."Hey if you want to see a couple dead deer stop by in about an hour. How was date night?"

Life is about choices. He chose date night and missed out... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
ODH

Post by ODH »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

:lol: That'll teach'em.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:19 pm
:lol: That'll teach'em.
Yeah, priorities! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote:
While he's field dressing his deer, I text the other guy...."Hey if you want to see a couple dead deer stop by in about an hour. How was date night?"

At least he got a trip around the World :mrgreen:
Watch, he just might arrow a big one soon.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on y'alls tick toters
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Nice!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

That all depends on the date night activities Keith…😎😎

Congrats on the deer!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:44 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
While he's field dressing his deer, I text the other guy...."Hey if you want to see a couple dead deer stop by in about an hour. How was date night?"

At least he got a trip around the World :mrgreen:
Watch, he just might arrow a big one soon.
I hope so! He's a good kid. Was so deflated when we could not find that first deer at this point any deer will send him over the moon. Another couple weeks and things will get much better.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><