Scouting Swamps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Scouting Swamps

Post by ko4nrbs »

The local Wildlife Refuge is a swamp and is managed for migratory waterfowl and other animals. Quite a bit corn is planted and harvested on the higher ground, what there is of it. They leave a lot of corn laying in the fields so the waterfowl can feed. I am sure the deer take advantage of it to.

The sloughs and creeks create a lot of funnels and pinch points. I think the deer here have web feet after seeing the crossings they have made across the sloughs. They tend to stick to the higher ground especially the wood lots alongside the fields but in some areas, they have no choice except to tread water. This has been very much a learning experience for me.

Today I scouted two spots I found last time I was there.

The first spot only had a few tracks and one scrape. No rubs anywhere. I walked the farmer's access roads, edge of the fields alongside the woodlots and the thick stuff between the fields and the big slough.

The second spot was scouted the same as the first spot, but I found many more tracks, a couple of scrapes, an established deer trail and several rubs. Seems to be the better spot of the two so I found a good tree to climb with the Summit Viper that overlooks the corner of the field where the rubs and the deer tail are. I plan on hunting it next week from dark to dark. It's only about 1/4 mile from where I park the truck and is flat. Glad it is only about 1/2 hour from the house.

The Peak of the rut in this area is late January as per the Alabama rut map. As we get closer to the rut what should I be looking for?

Will use my Sherpa Cart kit with the Summit Viper and the Jet Sled just in case a deer is hit and runs into the wet swampy area.
https://flic.kr/p/2mNqcZT

Bill
Last edited by ko4nrbs on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Boo

Re: Scouting Swamps

Post by Boo »

The learning process is pretty cool! Listening to someone going through that process is very educational. Like they say, go with an open heart and and open mind.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

We found a spot on a lease where the deer crossed a creek that we ALL thought was over our heads. Took some hip waders out there, walked across where the deer were, and my socks were dry! That became our new way across to that set of woods. Killed a lot deer down there. Couple nice bucks too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Bill sounds like there is not a ton of deer there but with not a lot of pressure and a good food source you still have an awsome spot with a trophy potential ...patience is gonna be your best piece of hunting equipment.
My favorite way of exploring those spots is putting up cheap chain or strap on stands with a few steps up top and using only two climbing sticks to walk in.
If you wire tie branches to the stand it will keep theft down and help with concealing you too.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:43 pm
Bill sounds like there is not a ton of deer there but with not a lot of pressure and a good food source you still have an awsome spot with a trophy potential ...patience is gonna be your best piece of hunting equipment.
My favorite way of exploring those spots is putting up cheap chain or strap on stands with a few steps up top and using only two climbing sticks to walk in.
If you wire tie branches to the stand it will keep theft down and help with concealing you too.
Since it's a Wildlife Refuge all blinds, stands, etc. have to be removed after each day's hunt. A real pain!! I am going to ask if hunting a few days in a row from dark to dark if I can leave the stand on the ground chained to the tree. Can't hurt to ask.

There is a ton of food here and excellent cover. Haven't seen anyone hunting in there yet. I'll give it my best effort and see what comes along. Won't kill any deer sitting in my recliner.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Swamps are deer bedrooms! There is a guy on YouTube called “The Hunting Beast”
He mostly hunts these public lands swamps and is very successful in Patterning the big bucks. Has his own line of equipment/stands that he packs in and out…goes ”swimming” a lot 🤣 and is “late for dinner” many a night! Interesting dude and a relentless hunter!
He goes where no one else wants to go and connects with the big boys!
He always explains what he’s doing and shows you how to do it…check him out!
I’m too old for that type of hunting but if I we’re younger…😊
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Old is just a state of mind. :eusa-think: :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:22 am
Lol🤣 my hips beg to differ! Swamp tromping is assuredly, NOT on my capability list!
I will however attempt to “circumvent” the nasty deep regions in the hope of catching one off guard…
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:22 am
Well, I am 70 years old in good health with the exception of a bad back. I am very excited about figuring out this swamp. Swamps are a new challenge for me, so I hope I am up to the task. My first task is to pattern how the deer move in the swamp. My heart is in it just hope my back cooperates.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I've been fighting back pain issues all season always my lower back but now that's fine now my upper shoulders and neck.....always something l felt so good during the summer I was shooting my 60 lb longbow with ease and kinda better as ever now l don't think could pull it back 70% to anchor . l get better than a week later more pain.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:56 pm
I've been fighting back pain issues all season always my lower back but now that's fine now my upper shoulders and neck.....always something l felt so good during the summer I was shooting my 60 lb longbow with ease and kinda better as ever now l don't think could pull it back 70% to anchor . l get better than a week later more pain.
Finally gave in an made an appointment with the Orthopedic doc. I just can't stand the pain in the bottom of my right shoulder every time I stoop over to do something. If he says no hunting for me the rest of the year, well as Trump would say, You're Fired!!

Reviewed my swamp scouting notes with Google Maps this morning. The deer in the 2nd area I checked out appear to be heading across the creek and slough to a very heavily overgrown island. I will set up and catch them on the way from the island. probably a bedding area. No predators will bother them there without being heard and seen.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks