First light

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Re: First light

Post by ko4nrbs »

Riflemanz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:41 pm
After losing two deer to coyote I quit afternoon hunting.
I have that problem really bad here in SE WI. I was out Saturday morning and had 3 yotes running around my woods and one was in the field barking. Not a deer to be seen after they came thru! Leave a deer at night here and kiss it goodbye!
Was bad around Oologah Lake WMA in NE Oklahoma. Had trail cam pics of the coyotes all the time. They would be shot on sight every time they showed themselves. The best control is trapping. It's an art but some guys do a great job thinning them out.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Boo

Post by Boo »

I like to be in my blind one hour before I can legally hunt which would be 1.5 hours before sunrise.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:50 pm
Riflemanz wrote:
After losing two deer to coyote I quit afternoon hunting.
I have that problem really bad here in SE WI. I was out Saturday morning and had 3 yotes running around my woods and one was in the field barking. Not a deer to be seen after they came thru! Leave a deer at night here and kiss it goodbye!
Was bad around Oologah Lake WMA in NE Oklahoma. Had trail cam pics of the coyotes all the time. They would be shot on sight every time they showed themselves. The best control is trapping. It's an art but some guys do a great job thinning them out.
Bill
Just like pigs!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

1 hour before legal shooting time( our legal shooting time is 1/2 hour before sunrise. I LOVE the still quiet time and getting to see snd hear the world wake up.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:52 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:
Riflemanz wrote:

Bill
Just like pigs!
The pigs are a very bad problem in NE Oklahoma. You just can't shoot enough of them, and they are quickly running the deer out of the area. I hate the darn things!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Boo

Post by Boo »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:52 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:

Bill
Just like pigs!
The pigs are a very bad problem in NE Oklahoma. You just can't shoot enough of them, and they are quickly running the deer out of the area. I hate the darn things!!
Bill
We had a visit from our Ministry of Natural Resources because of a local pig sighting. We were told that trapping is the best way to control the pigs and that hunting not only makes them nocturnal and more difficult to kill but also scatters them making them even more difficult to eradicate them. They know this from research.. I read in the news that a group was sighted about half an hour west of us.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-working-to-trap-group-of-wild-boars-with-potential-to-spread-rapidly-if-not-contained-1.5666739
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Myself, I like to be in about 30 minutes before first light. I'm able to cool down and relax. Where I hunt now, I never hear the deer, they just appear. Plus, I've never killed a deer at first light.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

In my state it’s legal a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset. Like most, it’s impossible to see detail for much of that time…I get out there according to what time I roll out of bed. Usually later than earlier. Hard to rise and shine at 72 😖
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

If I have to cross a crop field to get to my stand I like to wait till legal light to get into stand….prevents me from busting deer in way in and allows me an extra few minutes of sleep to be more energized and hunt longer into the morning…I’ve found it to be quite a great way to hunt mornings!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:59 pm
1 hour before legal shooting time( our legal shooting time is 1/2 hour before sunrise. I LOVE the still quiet time and getting to see snd hear the world wake up.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Mornings it is!! I've had deer standing at the feeder waiting on it to go off by the time the sun gets up!! TPWD gives us "Texas Boys" a lot of leeway about shooting light or time. Half hour before sunrise (according to NWS) and half an hour after sunset.

And I've just about stopped hunting late evenings except for HOGS!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I agree with the majority here about evening hunts. I lost a deer to coyotes this year that I shot around sundown. It was too dark to track her in the dense woods where she ran and when I easily found her the next morning, she was ripped up by coyotes. When a deer is hit in the morning you have all day to track it. Unless I know there are deer present that I would alert to the location of my stand, I intend to leave the stand well before the end of shooting hours. I hate the sickening feeling of losing a deer. I see a lot of deer in the evening, but morning hunts are my favorite for a lot of reasons.
axiom
350 SE
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

It's funny that when bow hunting all roads lead to shot placement.

If your aim is true and achieve a double lung hit then the deer will expire in seconds. Well before the coyotes find it.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I always believed that too, but still I have lost two deer that I'm very sure will hit where they would have expired quickly. The only part about afternoon hunting I like is that I get sleep in a bit. :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:34 pm
It's funny that when bow hunting all roads lead to shot placement.

If your aim is true and achieve a double lung hit then the deer will expire in seconds. Well before the coyotes find it.. :)
I've had double lung hit deer drop in a few yards. but I have also had a double lung hit buck run about 100 yards and a double lung hit doe that ran about 150 yards. Both deer were hit low in both lungs so that might make a difference. If the deer stays alive for 20 or 30 seconds they can cover a lot of ground.
axiom
350 SE