Smoke

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Smoke

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Has anyone used smoke on their camo as a cover scent on a regular basis? Does it work for you?
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
longbow joe

Re: Smoke

Post by longbow joe »

Do you hunt where there was a forest fire?
Just kidding, l remember an old hunter years back that used this tactic was a very successful hunter.
In suburbia the smell of woodstoves is common but l don't know how how more remote deep woods deer would react.
Where l hunt the worst possible odor is sweaty human body odor I hunt near construction equipment and such so oil and diesel are not alarming to the deer but a human odor is easily picked up among the other odors as l assume a sweaty human will be picked up even in a smokey outfit.
I always try to take a quick shower before a hunt whenever time allows.
It's hard to do this when the time changes in the fall when evening time is limited.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I do not use cover scents of any kind. Pine scent where ther are no pines = no bueno. Etc etc.

Focus on trying to smell like nothing. Shower with "hunting soap", wash your clothes in the scent free AND UV FREE hunting detergent, and use the sprays. Deer can see into the UV spectrum and some cheap camo clothing is made with dyes that reflect UV. You can buy a product called UV killer that works well.

And don't limit your scent control to just you. I had to leave my Ghost blind outside for a good while to get the outgassing plastic smell to dissipate. Or how about a new leather belt or sling? Leather smells great right? But that odd smell might put a deer on alert.

Some guys also use Evercalm...which is a fake deer smell. I tried it, and didn't notice anything one way or another.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have used smoke on my hunting clothes and ground blinds for a spot where the farmers burned off pastures periodically. I had deer walk within 10 yards or so of me and not show any concern.

I take into consideration where I am going to hunt and plan my scent control accordingly. In the wilderness area human and other foreign scents have to be as eliminated if possible or at least controlled. In the swamp area there are lots of farming activity going on, so the deer are accustomed to smells associated with those activities, oil, diesel, gas, equipment noise, and people. There are also frequent visits of Wildlife Refuge personnel adjusting weirs, etc. to manage the waterways. The swamp is much easier to hunt as far as scents, but you still don't want to let your guard down. I still play the wind and use some scent control.

The most important thing is to have a scent control plan that is not cast in stone. Be prepared to pivot if the deer are avoiding your area or blowing every time, they come near you.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I used to hunt in Kentucky and there were many tobacco smoking barns in the area. We would hang our hunting clothes in them . I had several deer walk right by my stand from upwind. I believe they were used to smelling that scent all day and night .
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well....my 2 cents worth is this....

Native Americans used smoke and they killed a LOT of game with a stick!! I reckon it works. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 am

Native Americans used smoke and they killed a LOT of game with a stick!! I reckon it works. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
I'd rather smell like smoke than a sweaty tee shirt for sure.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

I picked up the habit of dipping cherry skoal it keeps me from having to clear my throat. On numerous occasions deer have walked directly under me stuck their nose where I spit and never get nervous. I call it my cover scent and ask my friends if they want to try it. They always say no it makes my head spin
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Man has been trying to fool a white tails nose since we started hunting them! So far we have failed miserably. Once you realize it's not possible and start hunting downwind you will be more successful! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 am

To be fair.....I imagine smoke was a pretty plentiful smell back then as well. People heated their cabin/campsite with fire, and pretty much had a fire going all day and all night, so smoke was probably pretty prevalent.

But I kinda bet they played the wind more than anything
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Very rare that hunters out west , don't sit around a big blazin campfire.

Most if the time ,still in their camos from hunting all day.
Guessing smoke is not a huge problem.

I usually try to keep my hunting gear as scent free as possible. BUT !

I sometimes get weird looks from hunting buddies, when I pick up fresh droppings and rub them on top my hat.
At the very least stomp around in them with my boots.

I read an article about a question on if a deer or other game animals can smell the hoppes gun cleaning stuff.
My reply. More than likely if they are close enough to smell the gun cleaning fluids. I've already pulled the trigger.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:09 pm
Has anyone used smoke on their camo as a cover scent on a regular basis? Does it work for you?
i used a smoking stick called deer smoke screen for years and had very good luck while using it. i have to use an atv to get to/fro my blinds and i always lit a stick and attached to atv when i left the house, stuck it in the ground when i parked atv. the sticks lasted about 2 1/2 hours and after the one in the ground had time to burn out i would light another and stick it in the window frame of my permanent blinds. sadly this is no longer available, it was made in texas. my hunting ways are set do to disabilities and i can honestly say it made a difference for the better in my hunting. i have not been able to find anything like it. the liquid smoke cover scent available does not come close to real hardwood smoke i have even tried making similar sticks with out any much luck.... smoke is a natural odor eater and it deer are curious about the smell. during the 6 year span that i was able to get this i shot 3 big 8 points(for my area) and 2 of them were directly in my scent stream when shot,. 1 was 27 yards with my 355 the other was 70 yards with my .308(pic in the link below)

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50742&sid=64a4398d743ac7e2e1b5af983d85e9e4&start=15
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I grew up on a dairy farm and spent many evenings sitting on the edge of a woods overlooking a field, or in the weeds around a rock pile right after leaving the barn and had deer walk within 4 feet of me without ever smelling me. I don't farm anymore, but I do have a woodstove in my cabin and smoking my clothes works great.
I have also used skunk scent as a cover smell and it didn't bother them.
I have heard that anise is a great curiosity scent, and had an interesting encounter this past fall. Sitting in a pop-up blind all day I had a piece of anise candy in my mouth and a small buck came in with his nose in the air trying to find the source of the smell. :lol:
If deer are used to smoke smell in the area, then it won't scare them off... not sure how they would react if they aren't used to it but probably better than smelling like a human. lol
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:11 pm
Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:09 pm
i used a smoking stick called deer smoke screen for years and had very good luck while using it. i have to use an atv to get to/fro my blinds and i always lit a stick and attached to atv when i left the house, stuck it in the ground when i parked atv. the sticks lasted about 2 1/2 hours and after the one in the ground had time to burn out i would light another and stick it in the window frame of my permanent blinds. sadly this is no longer available, it was made in texas. my hunting ways are set do to disabilities and i can honestly say it made a difference for the better in my hunting. i have not been able to find anything like it. the liquid smoke cover scent available does not come close to real hardwood smoke i have even tried making similar sticks with out any much luck.... smoke is a natural odor eater and it deer are curious about the smell. during the 6 year span that i was able to get this i shot 3 big 8 points(for my area) and 2 of them were directly in my scent stream when shot,. 1 was 27 yards with my 355 the other was 70 yards with my .308(pic in the link below)

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50742&sid=64a4398d743ac7e2e1b5af983d85e9e4&start=15
Might need to try what I've heard people use. They use that smoker that bee keepers use to smoke the hive. Fill it up with wood chips of your choice and then let ur rip. I use the wind and all that when I hunt. Just looking at other tools to put in my toolbox.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
janesy

Post by janesy »

I use WR cedar shake shims in my storage totes. For two reasons. There are cedars everywhere I hunt, but it also keeps my clothes from getting musty from living in a sealed plastic tote for months at a time.

Does it cool a deer. No. But they smell nice when they come out of the tote.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme