2022 Hunting season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: 2022 Hunting season

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 am
My three mistakes of the 2021 hunting seasons.

During spring turkey season I tried to get fancy and decapitate a turkey. I missed twice and my daughter missed a shot on a big Tom. Lesson learned. Back to body shots. Maybe try to decap one after I get my first one down.

During deer season I passed on a couple shots at 40yds.
I'm comfortable enough with my equipment and shoot accurately at 40 so in 22 I plan to take that shot if its presented.

I got wrapped up in an extended argument/discussion over vaccines, politics and religion. Spent to much time arguing and not enough time enjoying life. Lesson learned. You do you, I'll do me. If we agree, that's great. If we dont that's great too. Takes all kinds of kinds.

104 days til spring turkey. I can almost feel the warm spring sun on my face and feel the wet spring soil under my boots. Just hoping I get another chance to get out there and feel that thrill of hearing a turkey gobble his way right to me!
Take care
Hatchet
I just bought two complete Badlands fleece setups for spring Bear and Turkey. I cannot wait. Starting to look like fall I will be fully occupied with a house build, but I should have until June before that takes off.

I could sure use the tree time let me tell ya. And my Versa Max turkey gun calls me every single day too.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

My season certainly wasn't great, but I still enjoyed myself. Being retired and having a comfortable house on the land where I hunt, I expected to hunt a lot more often than I did. Life has a way of disrupting plans as we all learn eventually. In September I killed my first crossbow turkey. The next morning, I had a nice buck standing broadside at 45 yards but didn't shoot. I thought the buck was going to come closer and, though he appeared to be a young 8-10 pointer, I'm always hesitant to shoot at any buck because of our 4 points on one side minimum. I don't know what I would do if I shot a buck then discovered that some tines I thought I saw weren't there.

The worst thing that happened was when I put an arrow right through a big doe near the end of shooting hours. The temperature was forecast to drop into the 30s F. that night, so I decided to wait until morning to find the deer. The next morning I followed a blood trail to a coyote feast. Lesson learned.

I have been seeing a lot of turkeys and turkey sign on my farm, so spring holds promise. We have a lot of big bluegills in our pond and with the cold weather settling in, I'm going to do a little ice fishing.

I pity people who don't hunt or fish.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm
. We have a lot of big bluegills in our pond and with the cold weather settling in, I'm going to do a little ice fishing.
Well that just made my day! I have pond envy now :wave:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

janesy wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:53 pm
grouse wrote:
. We have a lot of big bluegills in our pond and with the cold weather settling in, I'm going to do a little ice fishing.
Like you don't have any frozen water in Canada. If we're lucky, we get about 2 weeks with safe ice. Some winters, the ice never gets thick enough.

Good to see you posting again.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 am
janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:
Like you don't have any frozen water in Canada. If we're lucky, we get about 2 weeks with safe ice. Some winters, the ice never gets thick enough.

Good to see you posting again.
Oh we have tons of frozen water. I just don't own any of it. :lol: I wish I had a pond I could fish on!
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Sorry you had such a rough fall, Janesy. Glad to see you back here. Good luck with the house build planning :eusa-popcorn:
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:32 pm
I learned that if you tuck your jeans into your knee high rubber boots and then cinch them as tight as you can you can get a blood clot from a pinched vein under the skin and be out of the game for 5-6 months.

So for '22...I won't do THAT :thumbup:
Wow, I do that all the time, not anymore! Glad to see you back Chris. Last year just sucked all the way around for some of us. :eusa-violin:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Chris I don’t see a problem. If your building a house you have to dig a basement so dig another for your pond :lol:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:

We were on the Lake about 2 weeks ago. You can tell it's "Winter Time in Texas" by the way my friend is dressed!!
This was the first Bass of the day!!
This lake is a small impoundment of less than 1,000 acres located just south of where I live. It was opened to the public about 10 years ago. Access is highly regulated. It was originally stocked with Florida Largemouths. In the last couple of years numerous Bass weighing in at around the 15 pound mark have been pulled from these waters. This lake is part of the "Share a Lunker" program run by TPWD.

Can't wait to hit this lake starting in late February thru April!!!

And...Sorry for adding to your "Pond Envy" Chris!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:35 pm
janesy wrote:
grouse wrote:

We were on the Lake about 2 weeks ago. You can tell it's "Winter Time in Texas" by the way my friend is dressed!!
This was the first Bass of the day!!
This lake is a small impoundment of less than 1,000 acres located just south of where I live. It was opened to the public about 10 years ago. Access is highly regulated. It was originally stocked with Florida Largemouths. In the last couple of years numerous Bass weighing in at around the 15 pound mark have been pulled from these waters. This lake is part of the "Share a Lunker" program run by TPWD.

Can't wait to hit this lake starting in late February thru April!!!

And...Sorry for adding to your "Pond Envy" Chris!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
That's a beautiful bass your friend is holding AJ. It reminds me of the bass I caught at Lake Fork when I visited it a couple of times.

Jansey - owning a pond is nice but doing it right involves a lot of work. Trees sprout where they can do damage and have to be removed, cattails try to take over the perimeter and have to be controlled, duckweed and other free floating aquatic plants like filamentous algae have to be dealt with as well. Then there is mowing and other things I won't get into. I don't really mind the work, I just wanted to point out what you probably already realized, there is always responsibility associated with owning anything.
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:51 pm

Jansey - owning a pond is nice but doing it right involves a lot of work. Trees sprout where they can do damage and have to be removed, cattails try to take over the perimeter and have to be controlled, duckweed and other free floating aquatic plants like filamentous algae have to be dealt with as well. Then there is mowing and other things I won't get into. I don't really mind the work, I just wanted to point out what you probably already realized, there is always responsibility associated with owning anything.
Actually, funny you mention that. I didn't even think. The new property I just bought has a pond, about 20'x20' and it's full of grass and cattails. So I guess I do own a pond. :lol:

But the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "well, that's getting filled in right away, don't have time for that!"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
chilly_willy

Post by chilly_willy »

Don't rush your shot.