Parker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fur & Feathers

Parker

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Anyone have any experience with a Parker crossbow? Must not be too popular. Haven't heard anything about them. Saw 1 today. I know wheels aren't the way to go.
Get out & Enjoy.
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

Wheels sometimes are the way to go given the situation, IE: walking and stalking. Parker is an ok xbow but Ten Point and Excal far outweigh the good.
Git er done, and make sure it is done right!
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I researched and tested a Parker model called the Safari Classic. It has a laminated wood stock with a thumbhole pistol grip with a swell for right hand shooters. It is heavy because of that wood stock. It was quieter than average and had less viberation/shock than average. I think this was due to the laminated stock. The trigger was very crisp with no creep to speak of. I think this is becuse of the special cams just for crossbow that Parker uses. There were teflon rails attatched to the top of the stock for the string and bolt to ride on.

The advertised speed is 320+ fps at 150 pounds. Through a Jeffrey 350 chronogaph the average speed with a 454 grain bolt was exactly 300 fps. It was very narrow at about 25 to 26 inches at the cams.

I have narrowed my choice for a new crossbow to this Parker or the Excalibur Vixen. Parker is just up the road from where I live and that is a great plus. However, the more I research and study, the more I like the Excalibur for MY requirements and MY expected use. I think the Excalibur may take more abuse, wear and tear, and be easier to maintain.
Evan

Post by Evan »

I have not seen a Parker, but I like the rugged, simple, intelligent design of the Excalibur products. Even the Paradox has these features when compared next to the other compound crossbows I have seen.
bj

Post by bj »

i've shot quite a few of them and they are a very nice bow...for a compound crossbow, they are one of the most accurate bows i have shot...with a lifetime warranty and the fact that they are so close, how could you go wrong...buy one of each just to be certain.... :wink:

wayne...
209x50

Post by 209x50 »

I have a Parker, very nice X-bow. Fast, and accurate. Quality all around.
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys. Always appreciated.
Get out & Enjoy.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

In all fairness, there really isn't near the amount of JUNK on the xbow market (at least at the serious end-I am not counting those Taiwan copies of the Barnett 1980's recurve bows you see at gunshows for 89.99) as there was 15 or so years ago.

all the big names-Horton, Ten Point, Great Lakes-Darton, Parker and yes Barnett make very good quality xbows when you start paying 350+ dollars

I can shoot any of them pretty well-its just keeping them shooting well is why I only sell excalibur and why its the only bow I will xbow hunt with
PRB

Post by PRB »

I can shoot any of them pretty well-its just keeping them shooting well
Yes I agree. Unless you have a bow shop at home or close by. Parker was my first crossbow. Wont never stay away from the Excalibur line.
I can shoot any of them pretty well-its just keeping them shooting well
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
kev

Post by kev »

I had a Safari Mag. for a couple of years. Just sold it this fall. Accuracy was pretty good. I liked the integral scope mount machined into the trigger assembly, trigger pull was nice on mine. The thumbhole stock was real comfortable with a high cheek weld for optics. Mine seemed pretty quiet as far as crossbows go.

Things I did'nt care for were the teflon strips on the barrel. The right one popped off in just a few shots.
The prod assembly is attached to the barrel with a long philips head screw (1/4" if I remember correct) and barrel nut along with 2, 10-32 socket head machine screws. I would have liked to see a stronger attachment than this.
The cable servings got beat up pretty hard at the cams fairly quick.
Myself I DON'T CARE for anti dryfire devices.

When I called Parker on the Teflon strip the Rep. told me they had a problem on the early bows with over spray from the camo paint getting on the area where the teflon strip adheres to (2 way tape on the strip).
He said I could send it in for repair or clean the overspray myself and he'd send new strips. They arrived in 3 days and he called back after 5 days making sure I had no problems.

If your the type of owner thats just gonna sight his bow in and hunt with it the Parker or any wheel bow is fine. If you think you might shoot 100-200 shots a week practicing during hunting season or 3D shooting you should opt for a Excalibur as you'll save quite a bit $$ in down time and maintenance in the long haul. New cables and a string installed before I sold my Parker were close to $60.00. Thats 5 fastflight Excalibur strings delivered at my door for me that I pop on myself at home or in the field.

If I had a Parker I'd make sure I had a pair of extra Teflon strips just in case you needed them.
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Thanks Kev. That was the info I was looking for. I was concerned about durability. The teflon strips worried me. I agree with your assessment of the screws.
Get out & Enjoy.
dw

Post by dw »

i was looking at the parkers at dicks sporting goods before i bought my tenpoint. i thought they looked very cheaply made. especially the rail section. glad i bought the tenpoint instead. i would also use an excalibur if i was shooting a lot of targets. string change of course is very easy. but the tenpoint is made extremely well and i'm sure with just using it for hunting it should last me quite a while. i will be ordering my new exocet 200 soon, can't wait :D i just think crossbows
are very fun to shoot. soon i'll have 2 of the best made crossbows out there. :D "dw"
"you gotta love it"