Charger EXT Crank Problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rab1951

Charger EXT Crank Problems

Post by rab1951 »

Ive got a 400 Suppressor TD that I purchased in early July. The bow is great and Ive been able to harvest 3 deer with so far this season. However, the EXT crank that came with the bow is giving me problems. When I first got the bow I got maybe 20 shots before the crank broke. I sent it to excal to be fixed/replaced. When I got it back I got a few shots before it would no longer retract the string. I again sent it back and I spoke with someone on the phone and explained the issues I was having. The person told me that the internal spring was breaking and said that I may be cranking it in the wrong direction. I assured him that I was not and that I read the manual and watched the videos and that I was not doing anything wrong. I asked for the crank to be replaced with a different one but was told that wasnt possible. All this happened within the first six weeks or so of having the bow. Fast forward to yesterday and the crank has broken again. When pulling the hooks out of the crank to attached them to the string it makes a grinding noise. While cocking the bow the crank will not hold the string in place if I stop cranking it lets the bow decock. I havent called excal about this breakage yet. Has anyone experienced issues with the EXT crank? Exacl's repair time has been good. Ive had it back in about a week and a half however it seems that the crank I have may just be a lemon. Anyone tried the new Lite Crank, how is it working for you?
Suppressor 400 TD
16.5" Zombie Slayer
110gr brass insert
50gr screw in weight
Blazer vanes with right helical
100 grain head
Approx 450gr total
Boo

Re: Charger EXT Crank Problems

Post by Boo »

A chattering noise is normal if you pull the hooks out with any speed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rab1951

Post by rab1951 »

Thank you for the response Boo. Its a grinding noise whereas before the crank was almost silent. While the crank is in the cock position it allows the bows limbs to pull rope out of the crank. You are no longer able to stop cranking while cocking the bow. If you do the crank allows the bow to decock.
Suppressor 400 TD
16.5" Zombie Slayer
110gr brass insert
50gr screw in weight
100 grain head
Approx 450gr total
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your anti reverse is not working?
rab1951

Post by rab1951 »

Correct. I guess thats whats its called. When the crank is in the cocked position it still allows the rope to be pulled out.
Suppressor 400 TD
16.5" Zombie Slayer
110gr brass insert
50gr screw in weight
100 grain head
Approx 450gr total
Boo

Post by Boo »

Start an RMA
https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=58563
rab1951

Post by rab1951 »

Thank you, this will be the 3rd time I have sent this crank back because it broke. Ive only had it for about 3 1/2 months. Its frustrating, we pay to much for equipment just to have it break this soon plus having to pay to ship it back each time.
Suppressor 400 TD
16.5" Zombie Slayer
110gr brass insert
50gr screw in weight
100 grain head
Approx 450gr total
Boo

Post by Boo »

The only reoccurring problem that I've seen is the one that you've mentioned, the spring breaking. I have 3 of them and use them on all of my bows. Never had a problem with them and it is used mostly on my 400 Suppressor. I've haven't cranked backwards yet :crazy: . But your current problem doesn't sound like it's directly attributed to that. Have you thought about going back to your retailer and asking for a new one? I think the spring driven retraction is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I used the old C2 for years and the only issue I had with it is not liking the size and weight. The Charger Lite sounds ideal.