I want to come out of the closet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PaulSpain

I want to come out of the closet

Post by PaulSpain »

Hello people.

Going through old threads, I came across one that said: "you're not a real man until you have 4 or 5 excalliburs hanging on the garage wall"
I immediately ran to the bathroom to see if my tail was still there. :wtf:

I currently have an Assassin 400 TD (I haven't come out of the closet yet :mrgreen: ), and I really like it for wild boar waiting, but for stalking (I love stalking), it's a bit heavy for me, so I was thinking of buying another lighter one, but powerful enough to go through wild boars young (1-2 years).

Reliability is very important to me, above speed and power... The money is not a problem. Not because I don't care, but because I would like my son to inherit it, therefore something reliable for life.

The current options are:
A: Excalibur Axe 340 - 270 lbs - 700$ aprox.
B: Excalibur Mag Air 305 - 136 lbs - 500$ aprox.
C: Neither of those two, I would recommend...
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Re: I want to come out of the closet

Post by janesy »

The Axe/Mag340 is probably the best all around bow excalibur has made since the matrix 355. And the price point really helps.

I have a modded one and I absolutely love it. Speed wise, it's plenty, it'll send a 500 grain arrow onto at or around 300fps
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Lonewolf McQuade

Post by Lonewolf McQuade »

Mag 340👍
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Doesn't matter. Either bow will do ....with the proper arrow/broadhead. The arrow needs to be very stiff, have a very high FOC, and be tipped with a broadhead that will remain in perfect condition no matter what it hits. It gets tough to make a high weight "standard" arrow for a Micro, but something like a 16" Black Eagle Zombie Slayer (145.6gr), a 110gr brass insert, blazer vanes (18gr), Lumenok (28gr) and a 300gr fixed 2 or 3 blade broadhead gets you to 601.6gr total weight. Tuffhead and VPA Archery make good one piece steel broadheads that will go through bone and not be damaged. There are others I'm sure.

The way I see it, your thinking is backwards. Start at the animal and the result you want there (passthrough). Build the projectile that will do that job, then find a launcher for it. When trying to kill tough animals like hogs speed is almost a don't care as long as the arrow has the weight to do the job.

Check out The Ranch Fairy on youtube, or go to The Ashby Foundation (https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/) to learn more

Hope that helps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

For stalking, I think you want the smaller, lighter bow. You're going to carry it a lot and you're going to get close. I think the Magair and a good red dot is the way to go.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:07 am
For stalking, I think you want the smaller, lighter bow. You're going to carry it a lot and you're going to get close. I think the Magair and a good red dot is the way to go.
I build (12) 460 gr custom arrows for a customer wanting a light weight carry Mag Air for spot and stalk type hunting. A lightweight red dot sight certainly lightens up the whole platform.

He uses a hip quiver I might add.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Norm could also build you the perfect heavy arrow for killing hogs!! Check him out!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 am
Norm could also build you the perfect heavy arrow for killing hogs!! Check him out!
I would definitely recommend Norman!!! He makes a mighty fine arrow!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Thank you very much to all. You are great guys!!
Normous wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:52 am
Boo wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:07 am
I build (12) 460 gr custom arrows for a customer wanting a light weight carry Mag Air for spot and stalk type hunting. A lightweight red dot sight certainly lightens up the whole platform.

He uses a hip quiver I might add.
My idea was to combine it with a quality laser pointer. As you see?
The red dot at dusk can hinder the view, right? Here wild boars rarely come out during the day.
Thanks for the idea to lose weight.
What a great dilemma that half pound... If they weighed the same, I would directly take the mag340
nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:01 am
...The way I see it, your thinking is backwards...
I hadn't looked at it from that perspective, interesting...
A heavy arrow is interesting to me because, according to the theory of the experts, the extremities suffer less.
Thanks for the link and advice. I think that part of my objectives are there, but step by step... I want to learn a little along the way, with "non-fatal" errors if possible.
AJ01 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:39 am
nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 am
I would definitely recommend Norman!!! He makes a mighty fine arrow!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Surely in the future I will use it, but right now I want to experiment a bit and learn with "normal cars" before driving "mustangs".
janesy wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:34 pm
The Axe/Mag340 is probably the best all around bow excalibur has made since the matrix 355. And the price point really helps.

I have a modded one and I absolutely love it. Speed wise, it's plenty, it'll send a 500 grain arrow onto at or around 300fps
With that description you give me, it's going to be difficult for me to decide on the mag air, hahaha.
There is not much difference in weight, just half a pound.
Lonewolf McQuade wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:21 pm
Mag 340👍
Roger that!!
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Post by janesy »

I just weighed my Mag340 with a Vortex Venom red dot and it weighs exactly 6 pounds without an arrow.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

PaulSpain wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:38 am
Thank you very much to all. You are great guys!!

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:01 am
...The way I see it, your thinking is backwards...
I hadn't looked at it from that perspective, interesting...
A heavy arrow is interesting to me because, according to the theory of the experts, the extremities suffer less.
Thanks for the link and advice. I think that part of my objectives are there, but step by step... I want to learn a little along the way, with "non-fatal" errors if possible.

Troy (aka The Ranch Fairy) lives on a ranch in Texas and shoots mostly hogs. So he knows what he is talking about when it comes to killing them cleanly. Good Luck!! Enjoy the journey. Like you (and most on here) I like to tinker around the learn things myself. IMO its the best way to learn. And please come back with any questions. Lots of guys on here forgot more about crossbows than I ever new. It's a wealth of free knowledge.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

A red dot can be shot with both eyes open allowing some pretty low light shooting. Don't discount it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:22 am
So he knows what he is talking about when it comes to killing them cleanly.
That's for sure, and they are very clear references to follow.
Boo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 am
A red dot can be shot with both eyes open allowing some pretty low light shooting. Don't discount it.
I didn't know, I've never looked through a red dot.
Thank you!!
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Post by janesy »

janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 am
I just weighed my Mag340 with a Vortex Venom red dot and it weighs exactly 6 pounds without an arrow.
I also just weighted my 400Td Suppressor and it weighs exactly 7.2 pounds with a Nikon Bolt scope.

Both of those bows are bulldog style, and pretty compact, but the modded 340 sure "feels" a LOT lighter than the Supressor. I imagine your Assassin weighs another pound again on the Suppy. With that said, a super tiny red dot would probably shave a pounds worth of "feel" anyways.

The only thing I like spending more than money, is other people's Money. A Supressor 400TD with a reflex style red dot, and a whack of Norm's double wall arrows, and some TOTA pointers would certainly be a deadly combo on those Spanish Bacon Backs.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:01 pm
janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 am
I also just weighted my 400Td Suppressor and it weighs exactly 7.2 pounds with a Nikon Bolt scope.

Both of those bows are bulldog style, and pretty compact, but the modded 340 sure "feels" a LOT lighter than the Supressor. I imagine your Assassin weighs another pound again on the Suppy. With that said, a super tiny red dot would probably shave a pounds worth of "feel" anyways.

The only thing I like spending more than money, is other people's Money. A Supressor 400TD with a reflex style red dot, and a whack of Norm's double wall arrows, and some TOTA pointers would certainly be a deadly combo on those Spanish Bacon Backs.
:lol:
Spanish cured hams best... some bacon, and the rest on the grill!!
This is how I see them behind the viewfinder:

The Assassin 400td without accessories still weighs 2 pounds more than the suppressor 400td but the idea suits me because I keep thinking about it... Thanks!!
I should have bought a lighter and simpler crossbow to begin with... Rookie mistakes.
Assassin 400TD