Split rope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Split rope

Post by janesy »

PaulSpain wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:08 am

Another theory... Could it be that by not fully tightening the nock to the string for fear of turning on the led, that tiny space left between the string and nock (0.5-1 mm) causes semi-dry fire?
That is the cause. Snug that arrow TIGHT.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

A weak arrow retainer can pre-dispose a bow for semi dry-fires. If the retainer is lose, it will let your arrow go forward if it is knocked.
One millimeter of gap is a lot of gap, especially combined with most lighted nocks which provide another gap. When shot, the arrow gets knocked forward and the string catches up mid travel and hits the nock like a bowling ball hits the pins.
Pablo, a lot of guys cannot admit they didn't seat the arrow which means they have a closed mind. You are open to it and that is a sign of an open mind that is open to learning. Closed minds are static, they do not learn. You'll do well! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:16 am

Yes Paul... the nock needs to be "fully seated" against the string. If not, in my opinion it can cause a semi dry fire if not a full blown one.
I take it those LED nocks are Lumenoks? Don't fret seating the arrow. You would have to shove that arrow pretty hard against the string to make the nock turn on.
As long as the nock is resting against the string in the correct position, you'll be fine. There should be no gap whatsoever between nock and string.

They are of that type, so if you tighten the string a lot, the led lights up, and if you don't tighten it, it settles only partially.
Assassin 400TD
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:17 am

That is the cause. Snug that arrow TIGHT.
:thumbup:
Assassin 400TD
janesy

Post by janesy »

PaulSpain wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:04 am
AJ01 wrote:

Yes Paul... the nock needs to be "fully seated" against the string. If not, in my opinion it can cause a semi dry fire if not a full blown one.
I take it those LED nocks are Lumenoks? Don't fret seating the arrow. You would have to shove that arrow pretty hard against the string to make the nock turn on.
As long as the nock is resting against the string in the correct position, you'll be fine. There should be no gap whatsoever between nock and string.

They are of that type, so if you tighten the string a lot, the led lights up, and if you don't tighten it, it settles only partially.
I suggest you swap those out for some flat Luminocks.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Boo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 am
Pablo, a lot of guys cannot admit they didn't seat the arrow which means they have a closed mind. You are open to it and that is a sign of an open mind that is open to learning. Closed minds are static, they do not learn. You'll do well! :thumbup:
I thought I was setting it correctly, now I see that I was wrong, pure unconsciousness. I
I try not to be a fool, but sometimes it's hard not to deceive yourself...

Thanks to all of you who are good guides.
Assassin 400TD
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

janesy wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:17 am

It's clearer than water... :thumbup:
Assassin 400TD
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
PaulSpain wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

I think you're right Chris, that plunger probably takes too little pressure and its acting like a gap.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:57 pm
janesy wrote:
PaulSpain wrote:

I think you're right Chris, that plunger probably takes too little pressure and its acting like a gap.
Absolutely!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

You know, and I guess it's because I'm a little slow, (and from Texas), but I don't recall having ever seen nocks like those pictured with the little plastic plunger in them. But then again, I don't shoot anything that's not a flat nock. :think:

Are all half-moon nocks like that??? :eusa-think:

Live long enough, you learn something every day ... if you're lucky. I just did!!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:32 pm

You know, and I guess it's because I'm a little slow, (and from Texas), but I don't recall having ever seen nocks like those pictured with the little plastic plunger in them. But then again, I don't shoot anything that's not a flat nock. :think:

Live long enough, you learn something every day ... if you're lucky. I just did!!! :thumbup:
YOU ! should be dang enough smart then. :thumbup:
sorry but i just couldn't resist :lol: :lol:

Dave :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

papabear1 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm
AJ01 wrote:

Dave ... I do believe that's "the Pot calling the Kettle Black"!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Dave you are a hoot!!! :eusa-dance:
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
How well you what you spend.
AJ01 wrote:
:

Are all half-moon nocks like that???
In essence they are all like this, those are more triangular, and there are more rounded, but in all of them there is a small space between the rope and the base of the plunger if you do not want to activate the light.

They go to the trash...

I was reading this thread yesterday. Very interesting.
https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72493
Assassin 400TD
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:58 pm
papabear1 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm
AJ01 wrote:

Dave ... I do believe that's "the Pot calling the Kettle Black"!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Dave you are a hoot!!! :eusa-dance:
You mean old hoot !!!! :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
PaulSpain

Post by PaulSpain »

Well, today the spare strings arrived, and after cocking and uncocking the crossbow several times, I have not seen any damage or anything unusual. :eusa-pray:
Long live Excalibur and his wonderful limbs!! :eusa-clap: :eusa-dance:
Assassin 400TD