night sights for Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Woody, in Quebec you can only use a .22 with flashlight after dark for coons. You have to inform the game authorities everytime before doing your hunt. Not sure about the other provinces.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Aspide

Post by Aspide »

LoneWolf wrote:
Aspide wrote:I have found this night vision system with scope and flashlight..good for the excalibur crossbows.
DOXNUT wrote:Looks Good!
But illegal, here in Canada anyways.

Let's not give the crossbow opponents more ammo to use against us!...

Furthermore, that scope mount with the flashlight mount is nothing but a poacher's tool and shouldn't even be posted on here, IMO...

LW
http://www.hunt101.com/img/255308.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/255310.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/255312.jpg

More ammo to use against the crossbow opponents!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Woodsman wrote:Woody, in Quebec you can only use a .22 with flashlight after dark for coons. You have to inform the game authorities everytime before doing your hunt. Not sure about the other provinces.
In Ontario you are allowed to hunt at night, only for raccoons. Only with a .22 rimfire(except the .22 magnums), and you MUST be accompanied by a dog who is licenced to hunt raccoons at night. As far as I know you don't have to inform the authorities each excursion. At least I never did! :)
PRB

Post by PRB »

and you MUST be accompanied by a dog who is licenced to hunt raccoons at night.
Where do the dogs carry theyre licenses ??? :) I'm sorry I couldnt resist. Its just that I've never heard of that before. I couldnt help but picture a classroom full of dogs sitting behind school desks, and staring at the chalkboard and film projector while the teacher explains about the life and habitats of racoons :lol: Anyway I cant believe this thread turned into what it did. I never one time expected, NOT ONE TIME, for anyone to consider this post as an opertunity do break any laws. But thats why we have disscussions. It never hurts to say it. I personally would never try and shoot a deer at night. I would shoot one in the late evening only if after the shot I knew I had enough good tracking time. As far as the morning goes, then the reason I want illuminous front sights is because I will take the first shot at a trophy buck, just so long as I can see him clearly enough to place the shot correctly, and knowing I'll have all day to track if need be. Will it be exactly 1/2 hr before sunrise ??? Maybe not. I know for a fact that there has been times, and I just proved it again this afternoon before dark, that I could see a deer perfectly clear, but couldnt focus on the black excalibur factory sights. If my front sight was lighted up some way then Yea Haw !!!!!
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

High visibility sights aren't necessarily "poachers" tools. In FL legal shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise til 1/2 hr after sunset. I don't hunt late at all because I won't shoot anything I can't track in the daylight. But I do have trouble seeing my sights at early shooting hours though I see game fine. It's an age thing I guess. That's why I put that tritium fiber optic front sight on my bow. Heck, a red dot would be the poacher's weapon and they are legal about anywhere.
Greg
wabi

Post by wabi »

The regs can get to be confusing, but I know here in Ohio there are species which can be legally hunted at night. But.... the regs also prohibit having any device attached to your bow which casts a beam of light (including lasers), so the scope mount with the flashlight would not be legal here. A set of glow in the dark sights could have advantages for night hunting for fox, coyote, or racoon (to name a few legal species).
I haven't night hunted for a few years, but I believe you are required to carry a continously operating white light capable of casting a beam for 1/4 mile to be legal. When I did night hunt (foxes) we used a headlight with a red lens for spotting the fox's eyes as they came in. Sometimes the continuous white light would get placed on the ground where it didn't shine too well, but we had it to be legal :lol: Most night hunting I've done was by calling the predators in. A close range weapon, usually a shotgun - but a crossbow would be good, too, is all that's required in most cases. Actually, unless you are very familiar with your surroundings I would be hesitant to use anything that would have a range of over a couple hundred yards anyway - for safety's sake! It would be too easy to shoot toward something that could cause big problems because of the limited visibility.
wabi
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

LoneWolf wrote:
Heck, a red dot would be the poacher's weapon.
Sorry, but I have to dissagree with this comment.

Red-Dots don't gather light nearly as well as the regular scopes do.
Scopes don't "gather" light. They simply transmit it. They are never 100% efficient at that. In other words, the light through a scope is nevr 100% of ambient light. Generally, The lower the power, the "brighter" the scope with everything else equal. Some scopes are brighter than others because of superior optics & design, alignment etc. Zeiss are by far the brightest I've ever used and the only rifle scopes I use now on CF rifles. Red dots are great poachers sights because of their brightness (1x magn.) and illuminated reticle (dot) that shows up no matter what the light (IMO :wink: ). But that also makes them great for early & late day hunters too. Now if we could just do away with those stupid batteries :o).
Greg
gad

Post by gad »

LoneWolf wrote:
Heck, a red dot would be the poacher's weapon.
Sorry, but I have to dissagree with this comment.

Red-Dots don't gather light nearly as well as the regular scopes do.
Red-Dots haves a red mark, my sights haves a green mark. So the "poacher tool" like you said is because the color? :lol:
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
TAC

Post by TAC »

Yes, scopes do gather light. Whether it's a rifle scope, binoculars or telescope, light is collected from the front objective and refracted down to the focusing point. If light was not gathered, there would be no need for different sizes of scopes (ie: 30mm, 40mm, 50mm, etc).

All things being equal, a larger aperture scope results in more light being collected, ergo a brighter image. A 50mm scope gathers about 2.7x more light than a 30mm scope, resulting in an image 2.7x brighter.

Lens coatings and quality obviously have an effect upon brightness although magnification also has an effect upon the perceived brightness of the target.

brayhaven wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:

Scopes don't "gather" light. They simply transmit it. They are never 100% efficient at that. In other words, the light through a scope is nevr 100% of ambient light. Generally, The lower the power, the "brighter" the scope with everything else equal. Some scopes are brighter than others because of superior optics & design, alignment etc.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks

Post by Guest »

[quote="brayhaven

Scopes don't "gather" light. They simply transmit it. They are never 100% efficient at that. In other words, the light through a scope is nevr 100% of ambient light. Generally, The lower the power, the "brighter" the scope with everything else equal. Some scopes are brighter than others because of superior optics & design, alignment etc. Zeiss are by far the brightest I've ever used and the only rifle scopes I use now on CF rifles. Red dots are great poachers sights because of their brightness (1x magn.) and illuminated reticle (dot) that shows up no matter what the light (IMO :wink: ). But that also makes them great for early & late day hunters too. Now if we could just do away with those stupid batteries :o).
Greg[/quote]

For a fella that claims to have hunted from the Everglades to Alaska and everywhere in between, and buys Zeiss scopes for all his CFs, your worldly knowledge of optics sure is waning after your above post. :lol: :P
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

You folks sure do like those pissin matches don't ya's

well have fun with it
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW