Answer to "STRING QUESTION" concerns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill T

Answer to "STRING QUESTION" concerns

Post by Bill T »

First, in the last few months we've started putting endless loop strings onto our new bows to replace the old Flemish ones. The endless loop strings are not as quiet or as strong as the Flemish, but they are much easier to use as you just put them on and go shooting. No twisting, no stretching them in, no nothing. The marks on the deck are guidelines for setting up flemish style strings and are not meant to be used for endless loop strings. This will be included in the instructional video when I reshoot it next month and till then I apologise for not being clear in this.
On every crossbow I've ever seen with the exception of "air deck" bows the arrow will have wear marks on the butt end from the groove. This comes from the downward pressure caused by the shafts vertical bending or "paradox" on accelleration. Basically the shafts tip and butt both want to move downward in response to the center moving upward as it leaves the deck. Marks on the sides of the shaft will be an indicator of tiller issues, the heavier marks being an indication of which side the heaviest limb is on. Now before everyone jumps up and down ands complains about tiller a quick explaination of what tiller is is appropriate.
Tiller is the balance between the two limbs. The concept of "perfect" tiller is just that, a concept. Perfect tiller, if even possible when the limbs are at rest, would swing from side to side as the limbs are drawn, changing with every inch of travel. In manufacturing we, like all manufacturers, are limited to finding the compromise between perfection (very expensive), and good enough (affordable). Our processes are accurate enough that limbs are within very acceptable tolerances if everyone does their job right, and most limbs will draw well within a pound of any other limb. We screw up sometimes, and we are not to proud to admit it, but the vast majority of our limbs are tillered well within the bounds nescessary to ensure smooth, accurate shooting.
If you want to see just how little it takes to throw tiller off enough to be visible just put the butt of your crossbow on the ground and push down on one limb while watching the string on the deck.
Anyway, what really counts is that you can shoot groups, and tiller has to be out a bunch to affect accuracy! Hope that this clarifys these issues!
Last edited by Bill T on Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

Very well explained! Thanks Bill.
Git er done, and make sure it is done right!
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Thanks BillT
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Bill T. wrote:On every crossbow I've ever seen with the exception of "air deck" bows the arrow will have wear marks on the butt end from the groove.

Anyway, what really counts is that you can shoot groups, and tiller has to be out a bunch to affect accuracy! Hope that this clarifys these issues!
I can attest to the above two statements. Over the years, with the exception of the Relayer, Paradox and ExoMax I've owned half a dozen Excaliburs, at least one of every other model that was/is made.

Whether I was just fortunate or not, I've never noticed even the slightest difference in tiller in any of them. However what I have and still notice is that every single one has caused slight wear on the last inch or so of my bolts. Even so, in all cases, the accuracy of all of my bows has been nothing short of amazing. Each and every one of them has been a tack-driver, no matter if I use aluminums or carbons.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
speedball

Post by speedball »

thanx Bill T, I am so impressed that the president of a major archery manufacturer will spend his time answering questions to "customers" personally!!!, This alone has made me decide to buy another excalibur, i think an exomax. SO MUCH CAN BE LEARNED HERE FROM BILL T, MORE COMPANY'S SHOULD BE MORE INVOLVED WITH THEIR CUSTOMER'S AND MAYBE THEY WOULD SEE RESULTS AND ALLEGENCE LIKE HERE AT EXCALIBUR!!!!!!! i personaly would like to thank you sir for a fantastic product!!! Please continue to produce the best crossbow's MONEY CAN BUY!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gone huntin never to return................
gad

Post by gad »

Thanks Bill. And be sure that your personal treatment about these questions are part of excalibur success.

These explanations take a lot of doubts of from my head.
My two bows are shotting and grouping very well.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

are the flemish twist dacron and FF strings still going to be available? for target shooting the PB, the FT is better for several reasons including more latitude in playing with the brace height.

For hunting I like the fact they are quieter. Maybe I should call Danny and buy a bunch?
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

ttt for TYE
Vince

Post by Vince »

Bill T.

With all the Excalibur improvements over the last few years (FF compatibility, carbon arrows, machined risers, deflexed forward riser) i would think a move away from solid glass limb design will be next.

Does Excalibur forsee a move to laminated limbs in the near future?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hey Vince, what's the different in the 2 limb types you mentioned? I know nothing about them. :? :?:
Digger

Post by Digger »

deleted
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

ttt
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I moved this to the top fer another person too read.

The Gay thing however reckon its best if we don't view it and it will go away.....sorry about all the smile faces but was trying like a few others to move it off the first page....wrong move I reckon....Bill or Peter will have to take care of it.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Ga.XbowCop

Post by Ga.XbowCop »

Thank you Bill for answering my question that I sent. My bow has been shooting fine. I spent a lot more money for my Excal Bow and it is and has been worth every penny. I twisted my flemish string that came with my ExoMag 3 more twist and has been fine since. I shot one group of 3 bolts and they were all touching shaft to shaft. I will not shoot for groups no more. I just pick out a letter on my target and shoot each arrow individually. Your bow is a bow that is before its time. A friend of mine purchased another Xbow the same time i purchased my Excaliber. In less than 20 shots through his xbow the string serving had to be replaced and it will not be long before the string will need replacing. I am still shooting my original string with no wear. To make it plain and simple his bow was cheaper and will cost him more money in the long run than mine cost to purchase. His bow was not an Excaliber so I guess that is why. Thank you for this great product. Wish they would make vehicles as durable as the bows that you make.
Happy Customer,
Tim in Georgia :D
If you keep a child in the woods and off the streets, I won,t have to deal with them when they grow up.