Home made target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Home made target

Post by ninepointer »

I recently made myself a target from 6-inch wide cross-sections of Tentest, which are compressed between two 2x4's using threaded rods, washers and wingnuts. I have seen such targets used by other archers.

Has anyone on this forum had experience with such targets. For now I have been shooting some old aluminum practice arrows at the target, but is there anything I should know before I start my good carbons at it?

-Ninepointer-
Digger

Post by Digger »

Depending which bow you use are using I would put some 3/8" plywood a foot or so behind the target to catch the few that get through and they will sooner or later. Wipe some liquid soap on the carbon shafts, makes it a little easier to pull then out of the target.
Safety first. :D 8)

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BOB VANDRISH

Home made target

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Ninepointer,I have one made exactly as you described.
I made mine 6" deep,or thick,and roughly 4' square.
The only words of caution that I offer is that you have to make sure that the bolts are tight enough to prevent full pass through,but not too tight that you can't get the arrows back out.
I have only used target points so far,and I am not too sure whether is would be wise to shoot broadheads into such a dense material.
I use aluminum bolts,2216,and 2219's,using 100 grain points.
I do have carbon bolts,and found them a bit tougher to pull out,so I practice strictly with the aluminum bolts on this target.
I use mine in the basement,where I have a ten yard shot.
I made at least 15 target centers,so that I am not shooting at the same spot all the time,just to extend the life of the material.
I also have a foam target for broadheads,and bags filled with pieces of leather,as these are quite portable for outdoor use.
Fire away!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Thanks for the tips guys. I too have been shooting in my basement, at long range... 15 yards. :wink:

-Ninepointer-