Where to get apples

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Where to get apples

Post by RichardS »

I used to get apples to use for bait at Accuracy Plus in Peterborough for $6 a bushell but they no longer sell them. Does anyone know of anywhere within an hour drive of peterborough that sells bulk apple seconds??
Thanks

Richard
-Richard-
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

We use to be able to get ground fall apples but no orchard is allowed to give them awawy anymore or so I've been told. Now we do the same thing for apples as we do to get hunting properties. Drive around looking for either abandoned grown over orchards or homes with a lot of apple trees on property. Most home owners are more than happy to have someone take them away for them. Last year we got around 20 garbage bags full paid not a cent. One guy did ask for 1 venison roast which is a very small price to pay. Actually gave him a loin roast. This year when I went to ask he already had 6 large baskets waiting!!!
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Same here bigugly. I do alot of driving for work so I pass alot of homes that have apples falling from their trees. I also find that people are more than happy for someone who can pick them up for them. One guy I got apples from said that he raked up a bunch already this year and told his wife "never again, they can sit there and rot for all he cares". Thats when I showed up. :D There's not much left on his trees now, so I told him that I'd probably see him next year. :D
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
chessy

Post by chessy »

the reason you dont get ground apples any more is the sell them for juice..... and as far as old apple trees go (old apple orchards 10 or more trees ... ) the are being forced to cut them down do the the abandon orchard act ..... i will talk to my buddy and see what i can get them for .... if we go togetther we may be able to get a deal if you dont find some .....
ch312

Post by ch312 »

hmmmm....guess im lucky that i can pick apples from roughly 75-100 trees anytime i want in the fall :wink:

take about 200lbs to the bush every fall. im guessing i take more than that but its just a guess.

i wonder if they'd like the applesauce i make? still have 2 dozen jars from last years apples :D
Roy65

Apple Trees

Post by Roy65 »

I get mine off Apple Trees
Roy
A.W

Post by A.W »

Have you tried your local supermarkets. They must have apples that don't get sold and have to get rid of them.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Whitetailseeker

Post by Whitetailseeker »

RichardS

We get ours from Alan's Orchards on the bottom of Hwy 115.I think it's $50-60 for a crate of seconds.

Whitetailseeker