Limbsaver results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Limbsaver results

Post by ch312 »

put a set of limb saver ultras on my exomax to see if it would quiet it down and lessen the vibration. didnt do anything for the sound that i can tell but the vibration is cut down.

it vibrates for a less amount of time than before. not really worth buying them for an exomax. might work on a less powerful bow because there is less vibration?

ah well...i got them for $17 (canadian) shipped off of ebay so i dont care. cheapest place in ontario was $24.99+shipping. gotta love ebay :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

.......they slow your bow down.... ;)
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

I had to shell out the $$ to prove/disprove it to myself too. I thought they would have to do some good since they worked so well on my MQ1. I put the ultra limbsavers on the limbs and I left on for about 6 shots. I removed them due to loss of speed of my Exocet. They did absolutely NOTHING - 0 - zilch - nada for the sound of the xbow. And I really didn't notice any less vibration after the shot. I also put some of their super string leeches (made especially for crossbows) on my flemish fastflight string. I believe one was actually splitting out before I ever shot it the first time due to the amount of pressure the string with twists puts on them. Needless to say - I'm now toting a bare xbow without any sound dampening equipment on it (except for the dissapator bars/pads). Word of advice - don't waste your money investigating these things for your xbow. Believe the posts you can find on here about them. I'm not going to worry about the sound anymore. If I do anything else - it'll be purchasing one of the fine aftermarket stocks from Mark on this website.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

can they be removed without damaging the limbs or the actual limb saver? ill just sell them to someone for $10.
Divemaster920

Post by Divemaster920 »

Well I tried the STS system and $80 later they are sitting in the misc. box. They are great at dampening the viberation with the looped string...but now I am using the fff string and can not tell much difference.
The speed never changed.
If you want to make your bow quieter for you all you have to do is fill the hollow rail tubes with expanding urathane foam(it must cure for at least 3 THREE days). Make sure you clean the screw holes out real good and put back together...and WALA...it was cheap for you....but at 10ft in front of the bow it is still just the same in db's. And yes that was checked against the Parker also.
When the arrow hits the target at 20yds and the db meter is 10ft in front of the bow the readings are 52-54(both the EXO and the Parker) for the bow and 65 for the target. Maybe we need to think of a way to make the target quieter :wink:
CD
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i have a can of that foam i got for free...

home much of a difference is there with the foam in the rail?
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have said here for years that the only thing that quiets a xbow down to any degree are dissapator bars and wooden stocks. String tarantulas and fuzz busters don't do anything but slow down your fps and look like crap before 50 shots are fired. Expanding foam does little except make for a difficult clean up and decrease the resale price on your bow, and if you go the foam route make sure the trigger is protected.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Divemaster920

Post by Divemaster920 »

Digger with all due respect...
The dissapator are great for recoil but not for sound at 10ft in front of bow.
The wooden stock makes no difference once the foam is in place.
(String tarantulas and fuzz busters ) I have not used them but I did use the Cat Whiskers tied on with serving and they did make the bow shoot 5fps slower and take 3db off of sound(before foam injection)(per Dans recomendation) and they did last over 300 shoots and still were like brand new when I took them off(per BillT's recomendation for the speed).
Foam can be difficult to clean up I grant you.
And who would ever want to sell an Excalibur once you have shot one?
I think they are the best xbows bar none.
All other's have some different feature's but (Parker's best is the no dry fire and Tenpoint the acudraw)
But none of them can stand up to how tough and accurate and consistant the EXCALIBUR is.
Yes Please do make sure you do not foam your trigger.

CD
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

The best device I've ever heard of to reduce crossbiow noise was recently demonstrated to me by Dan Miller of Horizontal Archery. This device costs only $1.00 and is extremely effective, it consists of two tiny foam plugs, which are meant to be inserted in your ears before shooting.
Divemaster920

Post by Divemaster920 »

BillT is right for the shooter.
I am telling you guys at 10ft there is no difference.
I have done test after test on this, inside outside but not upsidedown.
CD
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

As far as taking the limbsavers off the limbs - yes you can do it without damaging your limbs or the limbsavers (that is unless you crazy glued them on). I simply used my fingernail to lift them up and then once they were lifted enough I pull them off. As far as reusing them - you can if you take off all the double stick tape and replace it with some double stick tape used for body moulding (can be found at Autozone). That is the best stuff for sticking them on anyway.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Divemaster920, With all due respect I have had 4 Wolverines with wooden stocks and 2 Paradoxs that I have Mark Henegar stocks on,and they are much quieter, when I hear a loud THWACK and only hear a thud after a wood stock is installed, I cant see where its going to be louder further away or at 25 yds away.
A piece of hot water pipe insulation on top of the stock will quiet the bow to your own ear.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
bj

Post by bj »

ch312 wrote:can they be removed without damaging the limbs or the actual limb saver? ill just sell them to someone for $10.
just shoot the bow a few more times...they'll come off ! - usually one at a time :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

just shoot the bow a few more times...they'll come off ! - usually one at a time :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I have an older Exocet with carved limbs and over the last 10 years have never had a deer jump the string. I do limit my shots to 30 yards or under though. I recently purchased an Exocet 200. After firing it both ways I could not tell much difference with shooting with the dissapator bars on or shooting with them off so I left them off. I felt that if I had no problems with deer jumping the string with a bow shooting 270 fps I should have no problem with one shooting 315 fps. I also thought that the dissapator bars caught to much brush and vines and I am one of the few I guess who un-string my bow if I am not going to shoot it within a weeks time. It just became to much of a hassle to take them off and put them back on all the time. And IMHO I think Excaliburs are very quite to begin with; much quiter than Hortons and I think a little quiter than my fathers Ten Point Stealth. In fact the thought of a deer jumping the string never enters my mind while hunting so I never worry about it.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.