flat nock or half-moon?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fitpays

flat nock or half-moon?????

Post by fitpays »

hey guys. i just got my ten point x-bow last week and i upgraded to beman thunder bolts. they came with half-moon nocks. ten point recomends the flat knock because of the helical vanes. i thought the half-moon would be a little more stable and accurate. what do you guys think of this? what do you shoot? i have not shot them at any distance greater than 30 yards yet, but they stack up right on top of each other at 20-30 yards.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd stick with the manufacturer's recommendation, sure beats breaking the crossbow with a dry-fire situation because the string jumped off the nock.
I shoot an Excalibur - Excalibur recommends flat nocks - I use flat nocks. :wink:
wabi
Digger

Post by Digger »

Ten Point and Excaliburs grasp the string from the top and if you position your bolt wrong you may get a partial dry fire or the string may slide under the string causing the same
From the Excalibur FAQ same as TP.
Shouldn't there be a nock on Excalibur arrows?
The bow is designed to use a flat butt ended arrow. Your options are either to use a plug type insert which cannot be used to withdraw the arrow from a target in which it has sunk too far, or a CAP insert which can. Moon nocks are a no-no since they are totally without purpose and can direct the string under the arrow if you don't align them correctly. Being of the mind that purpose is of more importance than appearance, we continue to use CAP inserts.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
fitpays

Post by fitpays »

thanks guys. looks like i should have done more homework before buying those. good nes is, they were fairly inexpensive. a friend of mine ows a shop so he might trade them out for me. unfortunately i did not buy them from him. no big deal. 9 of them are like 40 bucks. they have been shooting out of the bow very well thus far in practice situations.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I use flat nocks after having bad time with half moon. The half mooned bolts were flying all over and the flat nock bolts are shooting dead center!
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

When I bought my second Tenpoint Titan used,it came with 4 aluminum 2219's with half moon nocks.I have shot them and they are grouping as well as my flat nocks. We will use them untill lost or damaged,but any new ones will be flat nocks as Tenpoint recomends.I will mention also that the titans have a drop latch trigger,but I can't see where that should have any bearing on moon nocks or no. Personally,I could see a string jumping an arrow easier than pushing under. Maybe :?: or am I out to lunch?

..Al.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have an exomag and when i purchased it i was not yet on this forum.. The guy that sold it to me (new) deals primarly with compounds and i'm, not sure was aware of the excalibur recommendations on nocks. Anyways he set me up with half moon nocks on easton 2216 bolts and i have been shooting my bow with those nocks for the last four seasons. It has worked fine for me that x-bow has killed 5 deer so i have no intentions on changing. I was concerend about this but after speaking to a highly educated forum memmber on this topic i have no worries about this. As long as the bolt is inserted properly each and every time of use the string will not jump!!
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

After seeing this topic of the forum awhile back,I took my half moons to the local shop and had the guys cut just the bumps if you will,off with their arrow saw.Never had a problem.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

new paradox wrote:After seeing this topic of the forum awhile back,I took my half moons to the local shop and had the guys cut just the bumps if you will,off with their arrow saw.Never had a problem.
Wow...that doesn't sound like it would promote accuracy..even with the squarest cutoff saw/jig, I am certain there is a variance in them which can't be consistent.
With any degree of variance to being square (which almost is inevitable) I am pretty confident that your groups are not exactly "tight".
Not to mention dangerous:)
30 cents worth of nocks or a 200 dollar set of limbs, or the guilt of maiming a deer...not really proportional:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
TYE

Post by TYE »

ALINALBERTA wrote:When I bought my second Tenpoint Titan used,it came with 4 aluminum 2219's with half moon nocks.I have shot them and they are grouping as well as my flat nocks. We will use them untill lost or damaged,but any new ones will be flat nocks as Tenpoint recomends.I will mention also that the titans have a drop latch trigger,but I can't see where that should have any bearing on moon nocks or no. Personally,I could see a string jumping an arrow easier than pushing under. Maybe :?: or am I out to lunch?

..Al.
If your out to lunch......mind picking me up some Wendy's? :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think the biggest concern with half-moon nocks is that they must be loaded so that they are properly oriented with the string - cock feather down. With flat nocks there is no concern how they are oriented, and even no need for a cock feather. I can grab an arrow from the quiver and never have to look at it to see how it's oriented when loading. A big + when in a hurry or under stress!
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:I think the biggest concern with half-moon nocks is that they must be loaded so that they are properly oriented with the string - cock feather down. With flat nocks there is no concern how they are oriented, and even no need for a cock feather. I can grab an arrow from the quiver and never have to look at it to see how it's oriented when loading. A big + when in a hurry or under stress!
This is the biggest concern as wabi stated above, if your sure that your cock feather/vane is down you will not have any problems period. Also for them that have a pro shop use a square cut off tool too cut the moon nocks flat also would be no problem. I shoot both with same point of impact from a couple of my xbows. The moon nock vs flat nock don't change my point of impact at all.
Digger

Post by Digger »

jh45gun, The only reason one shoots higher than the other would be the weight difference, 1/64 of an inch won't cause a difference you'd notice. spline makes no difference in a short bolt thats sits on a track. Are you shooting 16, 20 or 22 inch bolts out of your Barnett? What is the min weight for your bow?
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

Tomcat,if I'm not on bullseye at 20 yards then I'm still touching the egde.Love my Paradox.