Fixed Blade Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deer Dave

Fixed Blade Broadheads

Post by Deer Dave »

When using a fixed blade broadhead like a Wasp SST Hammer...

Do you use an offset or a straight vane?

And what is your arrow setup? Shaft type, and broadhead.

Thanks, Dave
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

I prefer to have more drag in the rear of the shaft then the front, this really helps stabilization.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like the maximum helical I can get that will clear the rail. About 8 degrees with 4" fletching.
wabi
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

wabi wrote:I like the maximum helical I can get that will clear the rail. About 8 degrees with 4" fletching.
This equation is pretty much the standard and the only thing that improves on this is feathers instead of vanes.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob! We finally get to disagree! Rare occasion for sure :lol:
I base my comments and preferances in favor of the maximum helical on my personal experience. I tried several types & brands of broadheads to find something I could use without changing my sight adjustments. Among them were what is now my favorit choices for each catagory.
Fixed blade re-sharpenable (G-5 Montec) Fixed blade replacement blade (SlickTrick) and expandable (Wasp JakHammer). I tried what arrows I had that included 2 & 4 degree offset and helical fletching (vanes & feathers). The JakHammers and Montecs were usually right in the field point groups, but sometimes the Montecs were a little high. The SlickTricks were always a little out of the group. A great group by themselves, but not right there with the others. All I could think of for the results I was getting was that the fletching was different from what some other forum members were using? I had bj make me up a dozen GoldTips with maximum helical using 4" vanes and all my favorite broadheads were suddenly grouping together, and all were right with the field points! I bought a set of 8 degree helical arms for my Arizona E-Z fletch, and I'm not going to change them!!!!! :wink: I use 4" feathers and 4" vanes, I adjust weight by adding 8-32 threaded rod to the back of the point insert (inside the shaft) for the lighter weight feathers, so both end up with the same total weight, and I can mix and match points and arrows (using the three broadheads mentioned & field points & G-5's SGH points) with no changes in point of aim!
Saturday our fall turkey season opens. I will be carrying 3 Montecs on feathered shafts in the quiver. I will also have 2 G-5 SGH (a blunt/broadhead hybrid point) in the quiver riding on shafts fletched with vanes. I will have a 6th shaft (an old 2215 aluminum with a blunt) for unloading the Exocet in the quiver. I can instantly see which point I'm drawing from the quiver by looking at the fletching, and I know exactly where any of them will hit - the same place for all.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Dang wabi I called for a set of 8deg arms and was told 6deg was all I could get which I did order. their web site shows a 8deg fletcher but not with enterchaneable arms :?

They seem to change their product from year to year. Go to the buy now and no 8deg. arms are listed as he told me.

I tried to get anothe 1deg. off set last year was not to be had, now this year they are back.... :D

see: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=10780
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:Hi Gary: I guess I didn't realize that you guys can't continuously adjust the degree of helical with those E-Z jigs. I've used the Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch for this reason. You decide how much twist and not the jig.

Reasonable people can disagree and stay friends. :D
Read that bstout, I have one of those Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch and a few different arms/jigs, reckon I is just lazy and do it with the Arizona.... :lol: :wink: