Red dot vs. Varizone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Do you prefer red-dot scopes or the Varizone scope?

Varizone
81%
Red-Dot
10%
Other
10%

Total votes: 42

Digger

Post by Digger »

TYE wrote:We were shooting at TARGETS
I see, you shine a big light on the targets to practice Jacking deer, that sounds like fun.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Digger

Post by Digger »

double pumped .
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

Double pumped?

Nooo Digger, I won't poach. Never! I have a friend who doesn't seem to care about the laws, so I won't ever take him hunting with me.

My friend and I were outside shooting , then it started to get dark, and I couldn't see my pins so well. So I tried shooting his Horton for a while, and the red-dots helped.

We came back outside around 10 ish cuz we had been watching hunting videos and felt like shooting our crossbows again, so I turned on the flood lights and we went back at shootin targets.

I'm not a person who would poach.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I pressed the submit button twice.
Just kidding on the poaching, nobody on this forum would ever do something like that. 8) :D
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

Digger wrote:I pressed the submit button twice.
Just kidding on the poaching, nobody on this forum would ever do something like that. 8) :D
Oh....gotchya.

Yeah we would hope nobody on the forum would ever poach.
frisky

Post by frisky »

you wondered about battery life. I have a ded dot on my vert bow. Its been on the bow for about 5 years now ORIGINAL battery. My site is turned on all the time I hunt. I use position 1 or2 in the woods. I had a extra battery, it ended up in the computer.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I agree with DIGGER . the less battery powerd items the better. Being disabled I dont like to carry any more than the bare minimum. and the light gathering property's of the scope is a real help in dark wood's conditions (not jacking) but dawn and dusk. GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
JR

Post by JR »

Go for the scope. Turn on your friends red dot and walk back 40 yards and face the business end of the red dot. What do you see? Aglowing ball where the exit reticle is. That's what the deer see "floating" in the trees. Just my 2 cents from watching a few buddies in their treestands. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I thought about that too JR, but they say RED shows as natural grey to deer.

I think I will probably go with the Varizone, because of the speed ring feature, and the light gathering capabilies. The magnification could help me too as I am near sighted.
bikeinxs

I vote for the varizone scope

Post by bikeinxs »

This scope rocks in low light conditions. This past Friday morning I had a deer materialize in front of my stand about 5 minutes after it became legal to shoot. I was in fairly heavy bush and it was still quite dark. There was enough light for me to see the rough form of the deer, but not enough light to even see if it had antlers. I brought my crossbow up and settled the crosshairs just behind where I thought the shoulder should be, and it was like turning on a light switch. When I recovered the doe a couple of hours later, I'd hit her perfectly in the sweet spot.

Without that scope, I could not have in good conscience taken the shot.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I have a Red Dot on my TenPoint QX4 and an Excalibur MaxZone scope on my Excalibur Exomag.

I have found that the Red Dots make me aim a little tighter BUT they do not gather light and I lose 10 minutes of hunting time as opposed to the Maxzone.

That last ten minutes is VERY important as that is usually when you see the bigger bucks outside of the rut.

The buck I killed Thursday evening would have walked right on past me if he had come out 10 minutes later. I was losing light fast.

If some crossbow company could come up with a magnified (light gathering) Red Dot they would have a winner.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]