Quebec poachers caught in Alberta

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

Absolutely, they pled GUILTY !! In court in Wainwright, Ab.....on Feb. 2. It's over and done with, fines and penalties already handed down.

I don't see how they could dispute it if they pled guilty. I'll have to get to the local CO's office and see what he'll tell me.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

ttt
Last edited by LeGrand on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

What Quebec forum is it on..is it in French ?? I'll see if I can find the story as it was printed in the Edmonton Journal...that's where I first read about it...I'll post a link if I can still find it.

Here's a link I just found to a press release from the Govt. of Alberta.

http://www.gov.ab.ca/acn/200602/1941854 ... 67279.html

The only story I can find in the Journal is the same as the link above.
If I get time tomorrow I'll try to stop by the F & W office and see what I can learn.

And from what I've seen, I don't think there was any federal implications.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

ttt
Last edited by LeGrand on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

The names I gave came straight from the paper and he gets the reports straight from the court.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

ttt
Last edited by LeGrand on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I am merely repeating what was reported in the newspaper item, so that doesn't make it any more "official".

However, the report says that the persons charged with the offences entered "Guilty" pleas. They did that through their lawyers. Legally, that's the same as speaking to the Court themselves. Whatever the exact charge alleges they did, the persons accused have admitted their guilt of the offence by pleading guilty.

There had to be a judge dealing with the case. The judge would have had to confirm in writing that a gulity pleas had ben made. The judge would listen to the details of the offence as presented by a prosecutor. The judge would then listen to what the defence lawyers had to say. Then the judge would levy the punishment.

A lawyer CANNOT enter a guilty plea on behalf of a client unless the client authorizes the lawyer to do so.

If the persons who entered the gulity pleas have common names that could cause some confusion about exactly who was convicted. That should be resolved, however, by reference to additional information such as birth date and place of residence. This additional identifying information usually is published as well as the offender's name.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Where does it state that these guys are from "Buck Expert"? I don't know either way but I find it strange that the newspaper wouldn't bring something like that up. It sure makes for a better story and that would sell more papers.
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

The paper only printed what they got from the Alberta govt. and they would not name the company...just isn't the way it's done.
Mooseplus

Post by Mooseplus »

bushmaster wrote:The paper only printed what they got from the Alberta govt. and they would not name the company...just isn't the way it's done.
My feeling with all this is that Buck Expert quietly pleaded guilty through their lawyer after some bargainning had occured between the crown attorny and them... something like, you plead guilty, you pay the fine and everything will remain quiet...

Non one had counted on the possibility of a local newspaper finding out and going to the sources which produced an interview with the game warden.

I communicated with the local paper today to try to obtain court transcript or anything legal leaking Buck Expert firmly to this case and I was told that their only source was the game warden.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

ttt
Mooseplus

Post by Mooseplus »

I wonder who might have the number?
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

ttt
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

LeGrand

If someone were to contact the newspaper in the city where the named persons do business/resides, and fill the reporter in on the Alberta information, I would expect that the tip would be appreciated, and acted upon. If you are in doubt about this, contact more than one newspaper. Somebody will be interested enough to react.

The reporter would have some funds available for paying for research, such as buying a transcript of the court proceedings, getting an official copy of the Information, (the name of the document containing the charges), as well as a certificate of conviction, (the name of the document showing the result of the court case). That's the OFFICIAL stuff, and there's no arguing about what is contained there.

Although this issue may somewhat tend to give a "black eye" to hunters generally, it probably would have some greater beneficial effects. First of all, it would stop rumours about what did or did not happen, and who did it. It would also allow Sporting Organizations to condemn what happened, and it would allow genuine hunters a chance to distance themselves from what happened. It also would do no good for any business whose principal owners were engaged in any such activity.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

ttt
Last edited by LeGrand on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.