Turkey Hunting - A Field Point and a Nickel Size Washer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Post by TPM »

There have been various tips like these used over the years. The idea is to kill from shock not penatration. There and various blunt points (often hard rubber) and judo points on the market that serve the same purpose, though judo points can often penetrate to a point. People most often use these kinds of points on small game such as rabbits and squirrels. It would take a lot to convince they are effective on something the size of a turkey but I have no proof to say they won't. I can't imagine something like a common washer on an arrow tip would do much for accuracy. The aerodynamics alone would be horrible.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

I've shot plenty of grouse with this combination using a recurve over the years & about 1 in ten come back to life after the shot. The arrow screams en route to the target at 200 fps so at 300 + you would likely end up with a pretty wild setup that could knock a bird down but did't kill it. Aside from being illegal and un ethical a blunt would likely require the hunter to drop the bow & wrestle the bird to the ground & wring it's neck. Not what I'd call an enjoyable hunt. (ps - turkeys can fight back)