Tried canning deer meat.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Meat Hunter wrote: I just did not wish to lose you to the “bug”.
And a noble post it was! :D

We all like having Mike around ... and you too! 8)
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Meat Hunter wrote:Wabi,

I apologize.

I misread that you first hot packed the jars and then pressure canned them. That is a perfectly acceptable way to can meat.

Good job. Good work. And, invite me over for dinner some time.

Your posts are always informative and I just did not wish to lose you to the “bug”.

Best,
Meat Hunter
I appreciate the advice, even if you misread the post. :D

I am very careful when processing any food at home. As I said, the reason I was cleaning out the freezer is the wife got in a hurry and pureed the pumpkin before I had a chance to read up on processing it. She figured since you can buy canned pumpkin you could make it at home. Not so! You can pressure can pumpkin chunks, but not puree!

Another thing I usually preach on here each year is using a good "cure" when making venison jerky. I don't like adding chemicals, but that's one time they are the best alternative. Jerky is processed at the perfect temperature for those nasty little bugs to thrive in, so it's best to kill them off before you make it. :wink:
wabi
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Meat Hunter wrote:Wabi,

Your posts are always informative and I just did not wish to lose you to the “bug”.

Best,
Meat Hunter
Ye, and he makes a hell of a deer call !! :wink: :D
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

His predator calls are good too..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
dutchhunter

canned meat

Post by dutchhunter »

the almesh folks down here can most of there meat .i got some from them and realy enjoyed it .thy fry the meat in hot butter to brown it on all sides before putting it in the jars this gives it a great flaver it will taste better then boiling it in water first it sure is good stuff i hope to have a bunch made up this year DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
wabi

Post by wabi »

bugs wrote:Sounds yummy! Apparently your cat is related to mine ... smells meat and sits at my feet!!!
Yes, little Zeke weighs 18 pounds and thinks if people can eat it it's good for cats, too. He loves olives (green or black), pizza crust, wheat bread, and donuts, but put venison or salmon on the table and he thinks he should eat at the table with everyone else. :shock: :lol:
When he gets full he has the ability to sleep it off about anywhere.
wabi
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

Yep, can it raw with a half of a small onion or a garlic clove on the bottom of the jar. It's always a party in your mouth!
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Bet that cat likes shrimp, too.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Our tomcat is a masochist.

His face is always bloody; he likes to eat crawdads, and in trying to dig them out, he gets pinched something awful.

Doesn't stop him. :shock: :? :P
Grizz