When's your best part of the deer season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: When's your best part of the deer season?

Post by one shot scott »

I can put in the most time before the clock goes back for daylight savings. I love sitting out there till late in the evening. Most deer I harvest are early season. Late season can take alot out of me when its freezing. When Im frozen, the fun gets sucked right out of hunting.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
TPM

Post by TPM »

I definitely see the most action between the last week of October and mid November. I guess part of that is because that's when I focus most on deer hunting. Although deer season opens October 1st around here I rarely get out before the middle of October. Never saw much in the past in early October and some years it's just too darn warm. I enjoy getting out late season but it's more sporadic. Four out of the last five years I've taken deer in the first two weeks of November and to be honest, after I've got one in the freezer, I become more of a "fair weather" hunter.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

For me I see most of the deer around my area between the last two weeks of October and the first two week of November. I have shot all my deer in the last three years between October l5 and 27th (with bow). I try to keep a diary of wind and snow or rain,temp change during all of deer season. Also crop rotation is important as the deer will follow that "circle" also.

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

our deer hunting season last for about 10 weeks and i scored a bow hunting spot about 10 min drive from home and i'm out hunting on average about 5 times a week at ..deer are seen just about every time out with only a few times in the past few year where nothing was seen ....the past 2 years the hunting was best the last 2 weeks of november ..if i could only get out hunting a few times it would be during the last 2 weeks of nov.....
Wide8pt

Post by Wide8pt »

Hard to say. A person waits all year for it so Iwant to say the opener, but that's not the productive time for me. The magic really starts to happen after the gun hunt. Nov15-Dec15 is when I start to see more and different bucks. Guess it's cause I hunt over a plot (wintergreen). Bucks are putting weight on again for the winter so its a magnet.
Exocet 200
Boo String
Rage 3 Blade
GT Laser II's
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

I haven't had much opportunity to hunt early season but hope to in 2010. As with most posts I see deer around the rut in 1st 2 weeks of November. Since crossbow hunting for only 2 seasons, Ive seen the most deer when the snow flies in December to end on the 31st.
I was out for 1 1/2 hrs scouting yesterday and saw 9 deer and who knows how many were actually in my area.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Same answer as everyone else first two weeks of November but the next best time for me is mid to late December . My spots are pretty devoid of deer early season but get better as the season progresses . :) Also nothing beats that giant etch-a-sketch(fresh snow) from the night before . You KNOW if it is fresh sign and WHEN you do connect on a deer it makes tracking slightly easier .
Last edited by Doe Master on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
gogo

Post by gogo »

I hunt the full three months of deer season here but my favorite time is the first week and last week of october and the last two weeks of december especially if it snows.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Mid October until Mid November are my favorites. I've harvested a handful of deer in late season, but just noticed that I have never bagged a buck after November. Its always doe.

I'm also a little burnt out by the time December rolls around because I spend a lot of time in the woods when the hunting is best.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The last week of October, leading up to the shotgun season. The deer are generally moving a little later in the morning. They have yet to be pressured by the hoardes. After that my sightings usually go down. But so do the opportunities to get out. Goes hand in hand I guess.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
huntone

Post by huntone »

The first two weeks of November, or second choice is the first week of bow season that starts on the last Saturday in September.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

The few minutes leading up to the 'twang' of the string and the thud of the bolt hitting the ribs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D