Ground Blind deafness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Re: Ground Blind deafness

Post by MarkMarine »

Brenjen wrote:
Let me know how that electronic hearing aide idea works out for you. I have tinnitus too & was looking at some the other day wondering how well they work (or don't).

Brenjen, I do have a set of Pro-Ears I use to target/sight-in my rifle. They work well if you can tolerate muff-style hearing aids. Thy pick up the sound of leaves very well - and do not inhibit normal voice. They can get hot in the summer (and early bow season) but during your Arkie rifle season will have the benefit of providing some protection against the cold.

However, back to those flaming squirrels. They give me a headache without the Pro-Ears, but with them? It kicks into a Nutcracker Waltz! ALL I can hear are the squirrels LOL I would presume that those who use the Game-Ear style must surely suffer the same effects. I do not know.

I will add this, NOTHING blocks out the tinnitis. All we who suffer from it can do is not focus on it...for to focus on that incessent ringing too long makes you want to take an ice-pick and poke a hole in your eardrum just to quiet it! I do try and avoid tickling my canal with one if I can. I have my left one ruptured from a mortar blast already...and it STILL rings (maybe that's why it does LOL).
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

Our gun season ends loooong before it gets cold here, if it ever does. I was picking ticks off of myself in January a couple years ago.

And no, I don't like muff style anything on my ears & truth be told I probably wouldn't deal well with an in the canal type game ear either.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Hank, this is kind of like a countrified motion detector, eh? :D Have you ever had a deer bust you because of the twig movement or lock up when it detects the string?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I don't like the confinement of a blind either since I hunt using my ears a lot.
Having 'ridden a stand down' once or twice (not to mention near 70) I'm finding ground hunting very appealing. Bought me a leaf suit this past winter, hat and all, gonna give that a try this fall. Worked for turkey.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Cossack, I can sure understand your feelings on the subject and share them. I just purchased a Rhino XP-1 and am hoping that the wider view will help somewhat. Though, having 360 capabilities with the windows down and mesh up still does not really allow practical use of it...deer especially can pick movement up if your backlit by the widows behind you. So, realistically, a little less than 180 degrees is about all you can actually use at any given time and still rely on "being" blind to the game beyond.

Hank, lol I can hear "Itsy Bitsy Spider" playing in the background :)
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

After reading the post and seeing the pictures here of trailcam trophies...the fever has about taken me! I am so limited in where I can hunt that I decided to try once more to use a climbing treestand just to open up more possibilities. I am dieting and exercising to get myself into a little better shape. Nothing I can do about the arm, but I know I can use a climber if I just try hard enough.

There are a lot of climbers on the market now, but I decided just to try to keep it as simple (and affordable) as possible. So I went with an Ol' Man. It should be here anytime now...I plan on taking it out back and begin practicing climbing a little each and everyday. Hopefully when Missouri opens up our season, I will have a place to hunt and new options to hunt with.

It sucks having a bad ticker and being crippled up - but at least I'm alive...and until I push daisies, I am going to do all I can to bring the meat home.
wabi

Post by wabi »

MarkMarine wrote:After reading the post and seeing the pictures here of trailcam trophies...the fever has about taken me! I am so limited in where I can hunt that I decided to try once more to use a climbing treestand just to open up more possibilities. I am dieting and exercising to get myself into a little better shape. Nothing I can do about the arm, but I know I can use a climber if I just try hard enough.

There are a lot of climbers on the market now, but I decided just to try to keep it as simple (and affordable) as possible. So I went with an Ol' Man. It should be here anytime now...I plan on taking it out back and begin practicing climbing a little each and everyday. Hopefully when Missouri opens up our season, I will have a place to hunt and new options to hunt with.

It sucks having a bad ticker and being crippled up - but at least I'm alive...and until I push daisies, I am going to do all I can to bring the meat home.
Just be careful with the tree stand. Read all instructions carefully, wear good fall protection (full body harness or vest), and practice where help is close by if you need it. Also make sure you tie a cord between the top & bottom sections of the climber so the foot platform can't fall to the ground and leave you hanging by your arms on the top section with no way down but submitting to the force of gravity.

I know not every hunter has the options I have, but I'm fortunate in that I can leave blinds & stands in place where I hunt. I have no problem killing deer from my blind(s) because I can set them where I can cover the trails I know the deer are using.
Same with stands - I can leave my ladder stands in place and I feel a lot more secure climbing up a ladder than with tree steps, climbing "spurs", or a climbing stand.
wabi
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Wabi,

Much appreciated. I do not have a harness. I have tried them before, but due to my left hand could not work the straps through the loops. Do you have any suggestions for a vest type one? If they have quick-attach fasteners I can use those I believe.
secret

Post by secret »

I have kept records of treestand kills vrs. ground blind kills[my own] they are almost equal[same amount of time] blind being more!!!! Buy a Double Bull.....I hear fine out of mine!!!! infact i have to cut back volume when calling Turkeys. or its too loud![blinds work like a speaker ] at least my DoubleBull does cause the fabric is so tight! Dont be afraid they are a great tool for hunting!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Secret,

Thanks for the tips. I would have thought the blind acted quite the opposite being able to muffle the noise within as it certainly does without. The 2 blinds I have owned in the past were both Double Bull. When I went to buy another, I saw that Primos had bought them out. I like the boys at Primos, they are funny dudes. However, change is something I am slow to accept. That it is reported now that the blinds are made in china led me in pursuit of another manufacturer.

I settled on a Rhino Labs XP-1. If there is a better constructed blind on the market, I have not seen it. I liked Double Bull, but I love the Rhino.
wabi

Post by wabi »

MarkMarine wrote:Wabi,

Much appreciated. I do not have a harness. I have tried them before, but due to my left hand could not work the straps through the loops. Do you have any suggestions for a vest type one? If they have quick-attach fasteners I can use those I believe.
Don't own a vest, I use a harness, but the one in this link looks like it uses buckles to secure the straps.
wabi
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Wabi,

Much obligued. I can definitely use something like that. I like the fact I can use it to help drag deer out to where at least my cart can get to them.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Before I got my Gubbmint hearing aids, I had a neat lil gizmo from Radio Shack the was about the size of a Zippo lighter, under $10 w/ two foam earplug type things. Hated them so spent another $10 for a tiny set of headphones. Life got good, had the whole thing in my ghillie hat.

I think they are made and sold for concerts ect, more so than game ear applications.
"Eze 18:21"
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Awshucks,

I truly appreciate that. I am sure going to try everything possible this season to bolster success. Thanks for your input:)