it's jerky time.........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: it's jerky time.........

Post by bob1961 »

i just looked at that site wabi before i came here at the cure....what does it add the the flavor color or what ever to the meat....i've eaten venison jerky for close to 20 years that i have made including some beef jerky also....guess it's time to use some cure after beating the odds for so long now :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
It doesn't really affect the flavor. The amounts necessary are so small it isn't noticeable.
Just read the directions carefully and DO NOT EXCEED the recommended amount!!!!
It is sodium nitrite (6.25%) and salt. Only level tsp is required for 5# of meat!

For a brine just mix it in with the other ingredients.

For the ground meat I use in sausages I add it to all the other ingredients (spices), mix well, then sprinkle it over the meat and mix by hand. I refrigerate it for a few hours then mix it again by hand adding just a little water. Another mixing or two if time permits (I give it a minimum of 12 hours before I stuff the casings) and I am ready to stuff casings and start the smoking.

I started the batch of summer sausage I'm working on now at 8:00AM. 4 hours of smoke (used alder this time) then I bring the smoker indoors where the temperature inside will get up to 160 - 170°F. I leave the sausages until I get an internal temp of somewhere between 145 - 155°F. Usually about 14 -16 hours total.
I read an interesting article about making a modification to the smoker I have (Little Chief) and am seriously considering it. Replace the heating element (250W) with a larger one (400W) and adding a thermostatic control which would cost around $100 in parts to do the mods. It would make the process a little faster and more precise, but I've never had a bad batch of sausage the way it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have also read a method of smoking the sausages like I do, then steaming them until the internal temp hits 160°F. I may try that next time (I have a steam canner I could easily do them in) and see if it changes the flavor any. I'm just guessing, but it would probably cut the processing time in half.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Hazmat wrote:Great Idea!

I have a food dehyrater that works great but does not do the volume that I need.
I made one out of left over cedar plywood. Fueled by 4 60W light bulbs and a fan with motor from dehumidifier. 6 frames from pine 1X1 measuring about 16x22", aluminum screening Holds 10 lbs of jerky ( I use the grind and extrude method). Dries the jerky in about 8-10 hrs, at which point stack it on trays and bake in oven at 250 for 1/2 hr. Works great.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

well all i had made up is done now, 7 3/4 lbs of fresh venison dried down to 2 1/2 lbs.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd probably take my chances and eat it even if you didn't use cure in the mixture. :lol:

BTW - just read in the news there's another recall on eggs now. :roll:
Even store bought food isn't always a guarantee of safe products. :wink:
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i'm sure the soy sauce i used has a good amount of salt in it to sure it as it soaked as with the liquid smoke....the insta cure said salt and sodium nitrat (6.25%), that leaves 93.75% salt in the insta cure mix....does that 6.25% SN do the curing work....the drying time on my jerky done like this has been from 12 to 18 hours or longer depending on time of day/night it was when the at least 12 hour mark rolled around....if the 12 hours was up be at 3am it waiting till 8am to till i got up, avg drying time has been 18 hours.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.