Accuracy MY Phoenix Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TechTed

Re: Accuracy MY Phoenix Questions

Post by TechTed »

Got it dialed in!!

Just spent the last two hours shooting my new Phoenix. This is the fourth or fifth time I have shot it since getting it about two weeks ago. From my earlier post until now is like night and day!

I shot about 35 or 40 times from 10 yards out to 40 yards with excellent results! All arrows were at least touching the 2" circles on my targets! Most were well within the circle even at 40 yards! AND I was hitting the circles I was aiming at!

Maybe I am catching up to the accuracy of the crossbow!

Two things made the most difference.

1. Switching to new arrows rather than last year's practice arrows
2. Adjusting the Varizone scope for speed properly (DaGriz's website was most helpful on this) Had to guess at the speed - it appears to be shooting just below 300 fps. No chronograph to check the actual speed.

I appreciate the help and support.
squaars

Post by squaars »

I am from the Netherlands so there isn't much to hunt(please don't shoot me for my English, cause I will shoot back :lol: ). So I am shooting targets (destroying lots of stuff 8) ) and I want to shoot as accurate as posibile. And I have got some tips for you guys.

- It's indeed very important you tighten your screws on your crossbow..(+ locktight) (I had ones that my scope mount wasn't tightend down (cause of the vibration of the crossbow(and the locktight had not been very successful ). As result; the arrows hit about 60cm higher than the target :? . today I had replaced the four screws with deeper hexagon sockets. Much better now!! because I can tighten the rail down with some force without destroying my sockets.

- Get some good high quality arrows( I prefer carbon ones because they don't get bend) my ideal arrow = 18 Inch carbon(gold-tip)+4 Inch vannes+100gr field points

- And the last accuracy tip is about your scope. I have a lumizone, its a suprime scope for your crossbow.
When you zeroing your scope with for instance with a "benche-rest" your scope is not propperly(extreme accurancy) sighted in for shooting it with "two hands". So zero your scope with "two hands" when you normaly shooting with"two-hands"

Hold your crossbow everytime in the same way*

one other thing is the "parrallax-fault". as mentioned in your manual the scope is "parrallax-fault" free at normal hunting range 20-30 yards. BUT NOT AT OTHER RANGES. If you shoothing at take for instance 15 yard, the scope will be not as accurate as it can be when it's propperly tuned. The front-lens-compartment is screwed in; and its locked by the alu ring. You can tune it by first loosening the ring and after that by turning the lens compartiment. If you want to be accurate at 15 yards --> point the scope at an object at this range. Then move with your head up-down/right-left than turn the lens compartment. When the scope is tuned-in the object doesn't "move" anymore. then get the alu ring back on.
+ set your speed correctly for up/down accuracy
You can take it from me guys when you do this the crossbow is dead-dead-on. I was shooting 3mm thick stick at 15 yard!!! :wink:

If you have some questions please respond.

BTW: if you like beer, try Westmalle Dubbel, one of my favourite. It's a Belgium beer (Trappist). intense red-brown colored beer with a "fruit-like favour. very very nice
  • vixenII
    lumizone
    excalibur excel string
    goldtip arrows 18 Inch carbon4 Inch vannes+100gr field points
SScott

Post by SScott »

squaars wrote:When you zeroing your scope with for instance with a "benche-rest" your scope is not propperly(extreme accurancy) sighted in for shooting it with "two hands". So zero your scope with "two hands" when you normaly shooting with"two-hands"

Hold your crossbow everytime in the same way*[/i][/list]
I did this the second time I took my bow out. I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but zeroing in off hand greatly improved my off-hand accuracy.

My favorite beer is Delirium Tremens. Pink elephants never lie.