Fixed Blade vs Mechanical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

badredbird

Re: Fixed Blade vs Mechanical

Post by badredbird »

i use the rages on my compound they do seem to open them up wide , i really like the 2 blade , massive blood wounds on a 150 class eight i shot last year, i wouldve been sick if that deer took off on me, i like the rages alot,never shot them from an xbow tho
Titus

Post by Titus »

Not to hijack this great topic but what mechanical broadheads would you guy's suggest that I try shooting out of my Equinox, bought new in May. I have the 150gr bolt cutters but whatever works best in my xbow I will use.

Thanx
Titus
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Titus wrote:Not to hijack this great topic but what mechanical broadheads would you guy's suggest that I try shooting out of my Equinox, bought new in May. I have the 150gr bolt cutters but whatever works best in my xbow I will use.

Thanx
Titus

Most will do the job as long as you do yours, make a good shot, bolt cutters have taken a lot of game, I like magnus stingers and snuffer ss the COC opens them up and keep going, the problem with mech is the what if, what if it doesn't open I don't want to hunt with that on my mind, they all kill.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

if ya like the heavier heads the spitfies are nice
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've used both fixed and mechanicals, and with a well placed shot there's little difference in the results.

but................... :lol: :lol:
With a "less than perfect" hit the large cut mechanical does have an advantage IMO.
The larger the wound the more likely the deer will "bleed out". Simple reasoning tells me a 2" wound is more serious than a 1" wound on the same body tissue. If I stab myself in the palm of my hand with a ¼" screwdriver bit it bleeds a little, if I do it with a 1" wood chisel it bleeds a lot!
Can't see why so many companies make small cutting diameter mechanicals, though.
For deer I like at least a 1¾" cut diameter.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Like several others on here using mech. i like them. I used steelheads but disliked the bands, is a good BH. I wish Nap made a 3 blade Spitfire with 1 3/4" blades! I use the 1 1/2" cause thats what they make. Unlike others i have a bad taste on any BH's that Bear has!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have been using the NAP Spitfire and they also make a pretty good hole in a deer. The picture below shows an entrance hole from a NAP Spitfire. To top it off NAP is currently running a $10.00 rebate on many of their broadheads through October. This brings the cost of the broadhead down to $10.00 per head. Like most broadheads they can be rebuilt for only a few dollars and used again. I have one broadhead in my quiver that has been through 3 deer. The rebate form can be found on their home page.

As happy as I am with the NAP Spitfires I am going to pick up a pack of the Trophy Ridge Stricknine's to try this season as they have worked well for Scott and have a 2" cut compared to the 1 1/2" cut on the Spitfires.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire