range finders - any advice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: range finders - any advice?

Post by sumner4991 »

It's hard now-a-days to find a really bad rangefinder, especially for archery hunting.

I suggest this . . .go to a super store and have the guy at the counter get out three or four that are in your price range. Then try them out. The ones that fit your eye and/or hand the best is the one to get. Comfort is the key and being able to see your target quickly through the eye piece.

I have a Nikon and it's been great. You don't really need to mount it to your bow unless you plan to stalk a lot, then I think it may come in handy there. But, I play with mine while in the stand. Guessing yardages, then guaging them with the rangefinder. Keeps me awake and I've gotten pretty good at estimating.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wayne

Post by wayne »

I never owned or used a range finder in 38 years of hunting, But this year I thought, new crossbow, I'll try a new toy. Bought a Bushnell bowhunter range finder, and what a blast playing with-it. Ranged most all the trees in the back yard & around the house, (being the type of person I am, I then used a tape to make sure the range finder was right & it was). Used the range finder on my dogs, a 100 times, 2 aussie shepherds & my GSP while there in the backyard (hope they don't get cancer or something from that, LOL).
Now I wish I was not so hardheaded and bought one sooner.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
oldfart Missouri

Post by oldfart Missouri »

I have the Nikon 550 prostaff I got at wal-mart 3 yrs ago. I love this thing, all I do is Place tree stand , jack up tree 15 to 20 feet , no need to go any higher because you can not see out to about 25 maybe 30 yrds because its too thick in the woods during archery season here in N.W. Ga. . i RANGE the few holes and trails . When I get down I flagg the spots I ranged. where I flagged is where I hang sent wicks......... Note ;; of all the places I hunt I have yet to range any deer 500 yrds. even over clear cutts or food plots.. I give Nikon a solid 5 out of 5 :P
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've only owned one and it's a Moultrie so I can't give you much as far as comparisons go. The best advice I can give you is to put it up once you get it. I've been procrastinating for months and still don't have it up. The deer could be having a block party under my tree stand and I'll never even know it!! :oops: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads