Long Shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cyclonic

Re: Long Shot

Post by Cyclonic »

Xbowkiller wrote:Basicly you were off the site at 50 yards as you said you shot high. Whats next a pot shot at 60 or 70 yards? Where does one stop now that you made that shot?
Actually, I wasn't off the sight at 52. Holding high on her shoulder, almost at her back. With my target I regularly shoot 55yds by holding at the top. 60 would put the deer out of my scope, and wouldn't be possible. I am fully aware of what can happen at longer yardages, I also know what myself and my equipment are capable of.
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

vixenmaster wrote:Long yardage shots, hey its a personal call. Wide open areas are very much better fer them than trying in thick cover. Out West thar be alot of longer distance shooting

I've watched some of the hunting shows that are filmed out west. They do take some long shots!
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Xbowkiller wrote:Basicly you were off the site at 50 yards as you said you shot high. Whats next a pot shot at 60 or 70 yards? Where does one stop now that you made that shot?
I've known guys, including myself, to shoot high at 20 yards.

We can miss our target at any range . . .even 8 yards . . .I did that too.

I've also known guys to shoot quail, out of the air, with their long bows. I know a guy that kills deer at 70 yards consistantly with his compound.

Maybe they are luckier than I am . . .maybe they are just at a higher skill level.

We can't base hunting strategies for others based on our own experiences.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Congrats. on the deer and the shot!!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

georgiaboy wrote:Congrats on your doe!! :D :D
It's not my place to judge you on your shot...you were the one there and only you know how the animal was reacting to the situation. If you know your yardage, confident in your equipment & your ability and know you can make an ethical shot then by all means take the shot.
I probably wouldn't take a 50 plus yard shot but i'm not going to judge those that do.
well said georgiaboy :) those would have been my thoughts also !! :D

papa bear :wink: p.s. nice shot,,, congrats :|
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Nice shot. You had 3 things going for you:
1) You were accurate in your determination of the distance;
2) You have significant shooting experience at that distance; and
3) You were shooting out in the open and not in the forest. (No branches to interfere with the steep arc of your arrow's flight path.)

The only variable beyond your control was the deer possibly jumping the string. It didn't, but if it had jumped the string the likely outcome would have been a miss. No worries and congratulations on your deer! :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Congratulations! Skill level determines effective range, plain and simple. Howard Hill (famous archer deceased) used to shoot figs off people's head, shot an elephant in 1950 and is credited with over 2,000 kills from all over the world. He took head shots on deer when that was the only option. He shot aspirin out of the air. He won 196 consecutive field archery tournaments and pulled to full draw a 172lb. longbow.

His effective range was different than most of ours. We are all wonderfully made but each unique and we should all know our limitations and abilities. These are made evident on the practice range. For some here a 50 yd. shot under the right conditions carries a high probability of an ethical kill, for others it would be a hail Mary.

Each of us must live with our choices and hopefully those choices become better as we mature. I've seen an archer make a 30 yd. shot on a running deer with excellent results. Why? Because he was that good. Most of us will never invest the time to reach that level of proficiency, but for those who do, I applaud them.
Last edited by sipsey on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Given the perfect situation and it seems you had it. That shot can be taken with confidence. I however for the sake of my own conviction love for them to be a tad closer..congrats on your harvest..glad to see you give thanks for the kill...believe it or not alot of hunters just kill and load and never stop to give proper thanks..But its all in how you were raised..good job
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Great shot glad it hit it's mark :D

Thing that counts is the deer was recovered.
Was that a shot I would take no, my personal limit is 35 yds.
I know my bow could do it at 50 yds and has done it in target shooting but I don't think I could in a hunting situation. I use a range finder to preset yds in the area I am hunting but I have learned my judge of distance leaves something to be desired.
Tenpoint Matrix
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I believe that yer areas fauna can dictate the distance you can shoot yer game. So where most of my shots are 30 yds & under, other hunters have more open area & 50-60 even 70 yds could be made by a person who knowed their equipment. I don't use a range finder & don't own one. Its not because they are not good tools its my area shots are yds i have shot all my life. Now if'en i was to go out West or where open fields n meadows allowed longer shots, i would have to rely on one fer range yardage. That would open the door fer my hunting at longer ranges. That would have me purchasing a higher poundage model to make those longer shots.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

sumner4991 wrote:
I've known guys, including myself, to shoot high at 20 yards.

We can miss our target at any range . . .even 8 yards . . .I did that too.

I've also known guys to shoot quail, out of the air, with their long bows. I know a guy that kills deer at 70 yards consistantly with his compound.

Maybe they are luckier than I am . . .maybe they are just at a higher skill level.

We can't base hunting strategies for others based on our own experiences.
Scott, as usual, could'nt have said it better. 8)
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

good job and nice shot!! the only judgment i see is you made the right one.way to go. :D
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I am new to the crossbow forum but I have shot 3d for years and have shot out to 65 yards with a compound with confidence and a rangefinder. Congrats on your shot if you are confident and know your yardage and the deer isn't spooked I believe longer shots can be made in the right circumstances. Most people even with compunds won't shoot at a deer over 40 yards. I believe with a crossbow and plenty of practice we have an advantage with a steady rest to make good clean kills out to the distances that we practice.
Great shot
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

great shot! and i wouldn't think twice about passing a good clean 50 yard shot. in fact i am good till 55-60 on the 3d range... i would absolutly take a good perfect broadside 50 yard shot with my vortex... not even blink if she wasn't paying me any attention. but now, if you have been busted... and she's stariing at you... 50 yards is a long arrowflight for her to duck/dodge/run the string.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Congrats on the deer! :D

Just remember, the only person that anyone has to answer to when they take a shot is themselves. It shouldn't matter to anyone else what kind of shot someone decides to take, and no one has any right to judge you for something that you did that is completely your decision to make. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.