Broadhead Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Re: Broadhead Questions

Post by mchurch »

My favorite mechanicals that I have tested out of my Equinox are the Swhackers, Excalibut X act, and the G5 T3. My favorite fixed heads are the G5 montecs and the slick trick 175 grain.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

I was shooting G-5 Montecs for several years with good success but this year could not get any type of consistency with the same arrows and same broadheads used last year. An instructor at my club suggested trying mechanicals. I was hesitant about using a mechanical because of all the talk about reliability but I decided to try the NAP Spitfire as I liked the idea of the blades being held closed by friction and not a band. Accuracy was really like my field points.

I got one small buck this year with a quartering away shot. I was really amazed at the internal damage. True the blades open up when the point is already slightly in the animal but on my buck you could easily see the three slice marks on the entry wound indicating all three blades deployed. The exit wound was about a three inch circle and the shoulder bone shattered as the arrow passed through and exited the animal. Inside the lungs had been turned into a goopy mass. The animal ran about 30 yards before dropping.

I used the classic Spitfire and not the Maxx with the replaceable cut on contact point. I think I’ll go with the Maxx next year as there is really no way to sharpen the point of the original Spitfire if it is dulled or bent as was done when it hit the shoulder bone. On the good side, cutting blades are easy to change. On the bad side you have to sacrifice a hunting point for pre-season practice as NAP does not make a practice head for the Spitfire.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I've used Rage mechanicals for 4 years and killed about a dozen deer. If I was still going to use a mechanical it would be a 3 blade over a 2 blade the 3 blade cuts a better hole than the 2 blade does its more of a slice. I switched to the Slick Trick this year because the ease of changing blades and killed 2 deer a bear a coyote and a turkey with the Slick Trick 100 gr. Magnum. I had read a lot about them and after testing them out to 50 yards they shot great. The holes from the 4 blade Slick Tricks seem to be just as big as the 3 Blade mechanicals I shot.

My brother tried a new head this year and it is a fixed head the QAD Exodus Swept Back Head and it is 1 1/4 inch cut. He killed a small buck with his Exocet and he said with the QAD head and he said it was a short recovery with blood everywhere even up on the sides of trees. Good luck they're a lot of great heads out there.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
diesel

Post by diesel »

My family and I ( 12 of us ) us 125 gr. 1 3/4" cut WASP Jak-Hammers I put 2 bands on them and have never had a problem yet, I will use the Slick tricks from time to time as well. 125gr. 1 1/8 "
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Many Thanks for all the replies & advice Folks!

I discussed this matter with a Professional Hunter Buddy of mine from South Africa. He has hosted many bow hunts, and gave a huge Thumbs Up to the Spitfire Maxx broadheads. He noted that with over 40 animals taken with that broadhead on hunts he has guided, only one single animal made it past 40 yards! Seems like a heck of an endorsement!

So, between the advice here and a couple other Forums and what my African Buddy suggested, I believe I'll be going with the Spitfire Maxx's next season. Dependent on practice results obviously, but does appear to be the Way To Go for me and my bow. :wink:

Letcha know how it works out...

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."