355 and REDS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowhardcases

Re: 355 and REDS

Post by xbowhardcases »

Ok, finally got to adjusting the string last night. Everything worked as described now I have a good 1/8" gap between the string and the R.E.D.S...

now onto my next problem :?

The included rope cocking device is about 2 1/2" too short to properly cock the bow.... it was individually packaged with the Matrix Bow Package but typically I have seen these come with extra string. I have contact Black Bear Sporting goods to see if they will replace it.

In the mean time is there a replacement rope I can just buy at the hardware store that will work? weight/bread/type? I would not want to do this unless there was something I could buy that matches the standard rope since it gets put under a lot of stress when cocking.

see pick below

shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

Your rope cocking aid is not too short.
If you go watch the instructional videos you will see how it is done.
You reach down and pull your string up to catch the hook on the short side.

Post by newbie »

Just pull up on the string to hook the other side. I make mine short like that. I find it easier to keep the rope cockers in place not trying to keep tension and have them slip off or partly off. I had a partial dry fire that way the hook slipped off far enough and I didn't notice. Plus when you are done shooting you can leave it on the string ready for next time out. Another good practice is to turn the hooks upside down so you can see they are seated correctly.
Alot of guys replace with starter cord your local hardware store should be able to help you out. Or send me your address I have some laying around.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

:OK, I have owned a couple other Excalibur bows and the cocking rope was always just long enough to hook the string while providing enough tension to hold the cocking rope in place.

In order to hook the Matrix string on the cocking rope at its current length the string needs to travel almost 2+" down the rail to "catch it on the short side".

Without flexing the limbs their is no way I will get the string to travel 2+" down the rail.

Are you guys moving your string almost 2+" to hook the cocking rope?
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

Mine is closer to 4 inches and it does not take that much pressure to lift it if you do it like it is shown in the instructions.
The short hook slides down as you lift the opposite hooked side so your shortening the actual length you have to pull the string to get it hooked.
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

Ok, I just re-watched the video and I see what your talking about :D

I honestly have never had that much tension on my other cocking ropes.

I will try it out again tonight to see if its comfortable to move it.

thanks again
rej

Post by rej »

I shorten cocking aid more than as it comes from factory. This shortens total draw length using the cocking aid. The Matrix models already have a somewhat shorter draw so this may not matter as much.