Shooting freehand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Re: Shooting freehand

Post by Cossack »

Watch your trigger control. Surprisingly many folks don't know they are flinching, even with a crossbow. And the relatively high poundage and often 'creepy' release of some crossbow triggers only exacerbates the problem. Horton's Knee Pod is an inexpensive, light bow support made for shooting while sitting down.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

X2 on the flinching an the most important thing for me is what I do after I pull the trigger an try not to move the bow till the arrow hits the target.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Trigger control is 70 % mental and 30% physical . just my opinion
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
TPM

Post by TPM »

Like Boo said. It's called "NRA" style (as opposed to military style) stance. As others have mentioned, watch your trigger control. Squeeze, don't pull. Also watch your breathing. When you're ready to shoot, inhale, exhale half way, hold, shoot, exhale the rest of your breath, bring bow down. A lot of shooters have a habit of lifting their head off the stock as they shoot. Everything about your shooting position should be exactly the same after you shoot as it is before you shoot. That's why I always recommend you don't bring your gun or bow down (or lift your head off the stock) until you exhale the second half of your breath. Good habit to get into. Another thing to remember is if you're aiming and you find yourself getting shaky, lower your bow, re-focus and try again.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you can shoot in the basement or garage do it and do it often. The stance, hold, breathing technique, follow through and trigger control can easily be done and is often done without the distance. You'll be paying more attention to the way you shoot rather that what happened to the arrow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MJK

Post by MJK »

Shot again today from 10 and 20 yards and had them all in the ten ring! Elbow into the body was the ticket. With some more practice I'm sure I'l be knocking off nocks soon. Bow season starts here this Saturday and I'm confident I can use the Exocet now and leave my vertical bow home. Thanks to everyone for the tips! Good luck to everyone that heads out hunting this fall too!