Discouraged Lost two turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tom

Re: Discouraged Lost two turkey

Post by Tom »

I have not used, seen in use or even heard of anyone using these so I have no first hand opinions for you.

But from past years of experience, the larger the cutting blades in flight, the greater the chance of having your arrow plane in flight making accuracy a problem.

One thing I see with this head which makes me question it is the tip. It looks awful blunt. Will the arrow bounce off if you hit a body shot (I have seen video of the other similar head doing just that). That other head also had a straw like sleeve over the cutting heads to help stop the arrow plane.

Again, if you have these heads and like their accuracy, then try them. Confidence is the second most important part in a successful hunt (after quality equipment) so if your deer hunting head is accurate and you have confidence in it, then just add an arrow arrestor and go hunting.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
DaverV

Post by DaverV »

Big D wrote:Thanks Tom for all the info I may try those in the future. When I hit both birds they showed they were hit but walked away in sight without looking injured should I have chased after them? They didn't walk like they were fatally hit so I sat tight and waited. Did I do the right thing?
I ordered the smaller magnus bullhead to try if they fly well I will use them. Anyone on here no of someone that killed a turkey with this broadhead and Excalibur x-bow?

Thanks Big D
Hey Big D, Ive used them and they work great. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53254
Turkeys have a tiny vital area and you need to know exactly where to aim, then make a perfect shot... Bullheads are as ethical as it gets as long as you take an ethical shot. I've killed a bunch of birds with rage and spitfire broadheads and have never lost a bird. The long neck of a turkey makes picking a spot easy...you just have to be patient and wait for the right shot. Good luck filling your tags! Cheers
Passing Through
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Discouragement is the name of the game for me as well trying to bag a turkey with archery gear. I haven't had one come close enough while I was carrying my ExoMax, but I've had three encounters with my vertical bows and I'm 0 for 3.

My first encounter was plain ignorance on my part. I tried to hit a small target at a range that was obviously too far for me; 40 yards. After a miss (or two, who's counting) I brought feathers but nothing more.

Two years ago I pegged one at 25 yards while in my tree stand and dropped him. He lay there flopping for about 30 seconds and lay motionless for at least three minutes. Plenty of time for my daughter and I to text back and forth at my apparent success. She saw it drop. Then, out of the blue it got up and ran off. We did not find a trace of anything beyond the point of impact. That one dumbfounds me to this day.

Last year I had a flock (>15) within 20 steps and pegged one at about 10 steps. I watched him limp off with the rest of the flock. After a half our, I got down and tracked turkey blood for almost 100 yards before losing the trail. I didn't know a turkey had that much blood and had never tracked one before like a deer.

I did manage to take one with my muzzleloader a couple years ago, but even it surprised me by going about 50 yards after I blasted him. I have came to the realization that a turkey is a lot tougher bird that I had imagined. Much like deer, shot placement is apparently critical.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Big D I was in your shoes this year when I lost my 1st one with my 380, I had killed 3 so far with the xbow all with Slick Trick mags. I had a 25 yard shot and shot the turkey for the first time in the Butt as it was fanned out and the turkey just ran off and I never found him I had blood on the arrow and all 3 vanes but no turkey.
I shot a jake this morning on our last day at 32 yards broadside with a Slick Trick Grizz Trick 2 and it flopped a couple of times and was DRT. It looked like a golf ball size hole in the turkey. I shot this one broadside I aimed just above his drumsticks where I had shot the others I had recovered and it done him in, I found my arrow about 40 yards past where I shot him at. The vitals are so small on these birds I guess the neck and head shots would be the best.

Good luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Big D

Post by Big D »

Thanks for the info and support always awesome forum. It sounds like I have others that have had the same experience.
Well I have some good news I got the Magnus bullheads in the mail yesterday. I took a old pillow and some old sheets and made a suspended target that was recommended to protect the heads. The target worked much better than I thought.
I was using a 20inch 2219 that I use on my equinox. This arrows have extra weight up front and weigh over 100 grains more than my 330 factory arrows; however the 20 inch arrows cleared the 330 stirrup with no problem. After adjusting the scope around 10 clicks up and 5 left I was hitting consistently at 12 and 17 yards with my bog pod tripod with P.S.R crossbow holder that I also use in my turkey blind. Since I am using the recommended smaller cut 100 grain bullhead, I must be real accurate and the tripod definitely helps.
After sighting in the head, the real test came when I taped a banana to a top of a stick. I stuck the stick in the ground just in front of the target. Well the good news is I sliced the same banana three times in a row with the bullhead broad head and the heads still looks fine. I hope I can call in another legal bird and report back some good news on a live target since I feel that I am ready.

Thanks Big D