FOC Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: FOC Broadhead

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thinking about the FOC 170 for awhile and wanted to confirm from you guys that have put the range time in shooting them that the supplied field points hit the same as the Broadheads . Thanks
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The FOC looks like it makes good use of the higher KE of the M405 and 380.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

SEW what is the arrow weight and speed you get from your bows? Looks like you are in the 385-400gr total wt range? I'd like to calc. momentum as I think that's a big contributor to success with these large cut heads.
Can anyone else having good success with the FOC post arrow/speed numbers? I can crunch the numbers and post what the data says.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
stoneycreekhunter

Post by stoneycreekhunter »

I dropped a yote and deer right on spot. DRT as they say. I'm sold.
SEW

Post by SEW »

M380/405 - Boo string/string silencers, 396g arrows 363 & 393'/sec. Now shooting 406g arrows: haven't chrono'd them.

Out to 50 yds, fp and FOC w/i an inch or so. Beyond that starts to diverge quite a bit. I've indexed at 3&9(though 6&12 likely is better). Best to sacrifice a couple of FOCs and make your own practice blades as I described initially.

I am able to reuse appx 1/2 of the FOCs after shooting a deer. They can bend slightly: spin test .

Off Amazon Prime, I get them for $32/3-pack.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Sew, if you're able to get your hands on some toxics I'd love to see what results you get as mine have been outstanding.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

nchunterkw wrote:Can anyone else having good success with the FOC post arrow/speed numbers? I can crunch the numbers and post what the data says.
Shooting 170 FOCs with a total weight of 490 grains I am getting 354 fps out of my 405.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Species, 405: KE = 136ftlb, Momentum = 0.77 That is serious power. Consider Ashby recommends a momentum of 0.6 or higher for penetration through bone on Asian buffalo.

SEW, 380: KE = 115ftlb, Momentum = 0.63
SEW, 405: KE = 135ftlb, Momentum = 0.69

These are all BIG numbers. So opening a 3" blade should be no problem.

We need a data point where someone did not get a pass through. That might give us a lower limit of Momentum to use as a guideline.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote: We need a data point where someone did not get a pass through.
I don't quite consider this a non pass through because the arrow passed through and re entered the deer leaving plenty of damage and a fast kill, but I want to share my second FOC kill using my M380, FOC and BE Zombie, 400 gr. total.

From the ground I called a mature 8 point out of the corn and arrowed him at 12 yards hard quartering towards me. The FOC/Zombie entered just behind the shoulder pocket slicing 4 ribs cleanly, got one lung and liver, traveled low through the stomach and out the paunch and re entered the rear ham and busted the rear leg bone.
The FOC tipped arrow stopped inside the busted rear leg.
I was most impressed that I was able to close the FOC after that event with no broken blades. One blade was only slightly bent but I was still able to return it to the closed position. I keep that FOC above my computer to remind me of that deer.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am not goin to debate the Toxic's others find them great mine sucked with broken blades. I have 2 new one's i will send them to whom ever wants them. I will get rid of them quick fast & in a hurry!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
huntinwi

Post by huntinwi »

I was wondering if a e/m355 with a 420 grain arrow have enough KE to open
blades
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

huntinwi wrote:I was wondering if a e/m355 with a 420 grain arrow have enough KE to open
blades
I am sure that it would, a 355 with 420gr arrow will have some punch to it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Normous

Post by Normous »

huntinwi wrote:I was wondering if a e/m355 with a 420 grain arrow have enough KE to open
blades
Bellerivercrossbowhunter killed numerous deer, one bear and one coyote using the FOC out of his 355 with an arrow slightly less than 420 grains. Each kill had a complete pass through with perfect deployment that resulted in large wound channels and short recoveries.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
huntinwi

Post by huntinwi »

Normous wrote:
blades
Bellerivercrossbowhunter killed numerous deer, one bear and one coyote using the FOC out of his 355 with an arrow slightly less than 420 grains. Each kill had a complete pass through with perfect deployment that resulted in large wound channels and short recoveries.
Thank You for info
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Normous wrote:
nchunterkw wrote: We need a data point where someone did not get a pass through.
I don't quite consider this a non pass through because the arrow passed through and re entered the deer leaving plenty of damage and a fast kill, but I want to share my second FOC kill using my M380, FOC and BE Zombie, 400 gr. total.

From the ground I called a mature 8 point out of the corn and arrowed him at 12 yards hard quartering towards me. The FOC/Zombie entered just behind the shoulder pocket slicing 4 ribs cleanly, got one lung and liver, traveled low through the stomach and out the paunch and re entered the rear ham and busted the rear leg bone.
The FOC tipped arrow stopped inside the busted rear leg.
I was most impressed that I was able to close the FOC after that event with no broken blades. One blade was only slightly bent but I was still able to return it to the closed position. I keep that FOC above my computer to remind me of that deer.
Ok................my non-FOC reply :) From 20' up a cotton wood, only eight yards away from the base of the tree, buck quartering slightly away (I let him walk by me before I shot), shooting high and well behind the shoulder, through the right lung, through the heart, exited on the far side of the chest, entered the leg on the far side and passed completely through, sticking firmly in the ground. Buck ran 40 yards, no blood trail visible in the snow!!!!!!!
Matrix 330 with Boltcutter broadheads. Boltcutter undamaged.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?