Cleaned Corn vs Regular Corn for Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fazan

Re: Cleaned Corn vs Regular Corn for Deer

Post by Fazan »

Galamb ,

Have you ever had bears coming to your feeder? Stuff you use contains molasses.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Fazan wrote:Galamb ,

I don't have bears at either one of my hunting spots. My buddy has a place that's about 40 miles away that has a bear problem. We can't use tripod feeders like the one in my picture. We have to hang them high in the trees to keep the bears from tearing them up.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I use both cleaned and unclean corn wherever its cheapest. I run mine in hanging feeders between 2 trees hanging with steel cable from Lowes. I use a boat winch to crank my feeders up and down to fill them up. I save a lot of corn with feeders it the only way to go especially keeping the bears and racoons out of it. The deer get used to the feeders pretty quick when their hanging above their line of sight.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

My concern is not so much if bears would do damage to the feeder, it's about the damage they could inflict on myself if I bump one or two of them in the dark :D . There is lots of bears in the area where I would use this feed Galamb mentioned. Corn doesn't work there. Last year I had a lots of pictures of dear (and occasional bear passing trough) before I dropped corn. After that there was just six racoons 24/7 even when there was no more corn on the ground. NOTHING ELSE. So, I would like to eliminate racoons without bringing bears in.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Fazan wrote:Galamb ,

Oh ya, here's Yogi helping himself. It wasn't enough to take what was on the ground, so he ripped it down...

But got revenge. Though I missed a nice doe a couple weeks after that (bolt deflected on an un-seen branch - split in half and I watched the broadhead and about 6" of bolt go cartwheeling over her back - neat :).

Anyhow, Yogi came back for "more" and he ended up in the freezer. Didn't mind that at all, although I actively hunt deer and only passively hunt bear, I much prefer bear meat - never quite figured that one out for myself - except maybe since being a kid bears were always considered "pests", not really a "game animal" that you invested time in hunting. Up until about 1980 you "automatically" got a bear tag when you bought either a deer or moose licence - a kinda "pop a pest" if you see one hunting "real animals".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

If you ever come to Toronto and decide to have coffee in downtown Caffè DO NOT CALL bears pest or anything like that. Also don't discuss your meat preference aloud. Otherwise, that lynch with you as main actor would be broadcasted live on City TV. :lol:
Thanks for info and picture. That tells me I can't use that stuff. Too many bears around there. I like bear meat too, but can't convince my wife we should have it in a freezer.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I grew up at Jane/Finch - managed to get out unscathed back in 1981 :)

And yes, when I get back to the city I know not to mention any form of hunting since the Cappuccino drinking, Commie Pinko's that inhabit the city now would immediately hand me over to PETA for "re-education".

I remember back in the late 70's watching the guys driving up and down streets, with Bambi strapped over the hood, honking like crazy folk when they came back from deer hunting.

At least the "hunting" of gang members is tolerated in my old neighbourhood, even if deer and bears are not :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

I miss the day when Santa Claus parade was biggest parade in Toronto.
Different parade here week from today. Million people on the streets too.
Poor Santa Claus, not in fashion anymore, can't draw such a big crowd.
I too would be probably lynched today in the middle of Church Street for this kind of talk :lol:

Sorry for hijacking the tread!