A Tale of 2 Strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: A Tale of 2 Strings

Post by 8ptbuk »

I don't recommend to anyone to use light weight strings to increase speed, Use arrow weight instead always staying above the 350 gr. Minimum. A good medium to heavy Flemish string adds SO many benefits that it's hard to ignore !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

agingcrossbower wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:SEW, I appreciate all your diligence and attention to detail in this. And I think it brings s few things to light. Strings while all very similar but with seemingly small differences, in fact do have some pretty big differences. Mostly in the wt. The biggest difference between 2 of your strings is over 100gr. That should show up in fps loss, but maybe not as directly as a 100gr increase in arrow wt. Be interesting to look at arrow speeds with string arrow combo wts.
Boy, I agree wholeheartedly. I really did not realize the huge difference in speed between strings. Thanks Steve for your efforts. :D
A heavier string will certainly slow down your bow...my question is how much? We have some pretty good data on how arrow wt. affects speed, it would be good to get some data on strings...my thought is that since the string is situated differently in relation to the limbs, that while it will effect speed some, it is probably not as much as arrow wt. does.

And Mike, I'm with you....a Flemish adds so many benefits it is hard to ignore. But I'm sure there is a point of diminishing return regarding a "heavy" string, just like with a "heavy" arrow. Kinda like an old brewer told me ....one beer is good, two beers are twice as good as one, but 4 beers are not twice as good as 2. :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm painfully ignorant concerning string materials: but won't stay that way. I'll try to separate the different materials, weights, and test the speed differences.
A problem with the factory (DM) string on the BD400 is that it is too short to get down to optimum brace height on the 380&405. And, my Matrix strings(I just counted 11), is that it'll take a lot of twists to get 2" off the front of the rail on the Matrix strings to get there.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

SEW, I wouldn't worry about material yet, just string wt. Like, same arrow different string, what is the fps loss /gr of added string wt. Like I said, we have a pretty good idea of fps loss/gr of added arrow wt. (3FPS/Gr on Matrix limbs)....maybe it's different for added string wt.

I hardly ever weigh my strings so I have no good idea right now. But I will be conducting tests soon!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><