Deer Feeder Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: Deer Feeder Question

Post by flightattendant100 »

ko4nrbs wrote:
ArcheryAddict wrote:Has anybody tried adding anything to the corn? Something weird my buddy does is he puts strawberry jello mix in with his corn.
Don't put it in a broadcast type feeder. It will coagulate and plug up the feeder.
Bill
Any additive I have tried over the years has left my feeder plugged and corn pretty much glued together. I feed corn or corn and soybean mix.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Been out 16 days with no issues. Was feeding twice a day for 3 seconds at (7:30am and 4:30pm). Was only about 3/4 empty. I refilled it and reset it to feed once a day for 3 seconds since I will be out of town for a couple of months.

The squirrels have tried hard to get to it but the trash can lid and the pizza pan covering the feeder's lid has stopped them in their tracks. I also put a 4 foot piece of galvanized furnace pipe on the tree across from the feeder. No way for a coon to jump over on the feeder now.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Those are the same feeders I use. I can tell you that the Trash Can lids and such are not necessary. The Squirrels and Coons simply wait on the bottom for their time. I did have a coon climb the rope out to the feeder and try to gnaw through the lid and he was unsuccessful other than chewing a notch in the side of the lid. Been using them for 2 years now and that's the closest any have gotten to getting around the timer.

The earlier posts were dead on about adding stuff to your corn. I have tried adding Mineral granules and also the Apple Crush to my corn to make it more desirable - HUGE MISTAKE. It doesn't just make the corn stick together but it gets down in the gears of the spinner and it will never be the same again. Whole grains only!!

Glad they found it - good luck in punching their tickets.
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Black Matrix 380 "Meat Maker"