2017 seasons goals?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: 2017 seasons goals?

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:In pa we only get one buck tag . I hope not to get one till the rut so l can spend more time in stand. And it must be a mounter or l will let it pass.
Hunting publicland in pa no worry about shooting Buck early ..Now they put Bear archery hunt week next rut week bad enough now with Doe hunters using early muzzleloader week to fill freezers [right on that fill freezer] disturbing your hunt with their yo ho yo ho there goes fawn ,shoot ..
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Having never shot ANYTHING with a crossbow, this year my goals are:

1) Hoping my 75+ year old friend who borrowed my 380 and shot a buck last year, does it again this year! It was a thrill for both of us last year and he's excited about trying it again this year which is great.

2) I have a WI bear tag and am hoping the 500 lbs beast that is hitting my baitsite sticks around long enough for me to get a shot at him with my 405.

3) I'd like to get a buck, any reasonable buck, with one of my Excals.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Normous

Post by Normous »

elkaholic wrote:not fall out my tree stand
Look at the new 2017 Crossbow Model Hunter Safety System Vest. This is my 3 HSS vest and hands down this new model is their best vest yet for crossbow hunters. Be Safe!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tom

Post by Tom »

flightattendant100 wrote:[quote="janesy"
janesy wrote:Anyone want to try anything new this year? Any plans or goals?

Aside from the fact I have yet to get a deer with a crossbow(they alway walk out when I've got a shotgun in my hands), I'm wanting to field dress and pack a deer out this year. I've never done that, always been able to drive a vehicle or some sort at least close enough a little drag was all I ever needed.
I've been wanting and watching for a camp up north to buy and it clicked on my head, my family cottage in Muskoka is completely surrounded by private (we own) huntable conservation or crown land . A few thousand acres worth. And best part it's at the top of a WMU that you'd have to cross our property after a boat ride to get to it. So I've started planning and scouting this area. But no matter which route or piece of land I go to, I'd be packing and carrying the deer out on my back.
Its got me excited, one step closer to the way it used to be before ATVs and pickup trucks.

Anyhow, what everyone else looking forward to checking off the list?
I don't know that it's the work I'm looking for. We've had to hauls some Moose and deer out of some tough spots. But only so far as to the ATV trail, or the logging road. Then it was toss it on and let's get back to camp for lunch.

I've never had to quarter and bag anything. I think that's what I'm more interested. To say you actually CARRIED it out, is not something I can say.

Of course then there the guys who would look at you like you have two heads... It is nice to lay them in the bed of the truck and drive out. Especially in the rain
Strap you an elk hind on a frame, hike up hill, some steep enough you have to switchback at 9000+ ft..... when you get back to camp even though you are worn out, you feel like a MAN!.... until you realize there are three mor quarters waiting ! :shock:[/quote]

I have had to haul deer out of some nasty places and distances in my youth (before ATV'S). Most were 2 or more miles up and down ridges. We were on public land and only access was by boat, 7 miles, 3-4 beaver dams and 1 rapids (we set up a camp and stayed for the week). We always found it easier to haul, drag the deer whole. Now moose is a different story, we either cut in quarters or fiths and pack out on yor back.

I do believe that the more work you have to put into the meat, the more you enjoy it on the BBQ. Today, I am happy when the harvest is s close to ATV access as possible.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... I hope to see a deer this year! :wink:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Tom wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:[quote="janesy"
janesy wrote:Anyone want to try anything new this year? Any plans or goals?

Aside from the fact I have yet to get a deer with a crossbow(they alway walk out when I've got a shotgun in my hands), I'm wanting to field dress and pack a deer out this year. I've never done that, always been able to drive a vehicle or some sort at least close enough a little drag was all I ever needed.
I've been wanting and watching for a camp up north to buy and it clicked on my head, my family cottage in Muskoka is completely surrounded by private (we own) huntable conservation or crown land . A few thousand acres worth. And best part it's at the top of a WMU that you'd have to cross our property after a boat ride to get to it. So I've started planning and scouting this area. But no matter which route or piece of land I go to, I'd be packing and carrying the deer out on my back.
Its got me excited, one step closer to the way it used to be before ATVs and pickup trucks.

Anyhow, what everyone else looking forward to checking off the list?
I don't know that it's the work I'm looking for. We've had to hauls some Moose and deer out of some tough spots. But only so far as to the ATV trail, or the logging road. Then it was toss it on and let's get back to camp for lunch.

I've never had to quarter and bag anything. I think that's what I'm more interested. To say you actually CARRIED it out, is not something I can say.

Of course then there the guys who would look at you like you have two heads... It is nice to lay them in the bed of the truck and drive out. Especially in the rain
Strap you an elk hind on a frame, hike up hill, some steep enough you have to switchback at 9000+ ft..... when you get back to camp even though you are worn out, you feel like a MAN!.... until you realize there are three mor quarters waiting ! :shock:
I have had to haul deer out of some nasty places and distances in my youth (before ATV'S). Most were 2 or more miles up and down ridges. We were on public land and only access was by boat, 7 miles, 3-4 beaver dams and 1 rapids (we set up a camp and stayed for the week). We always found it easier to haul, drag the deer whole. Now moose is a different story, we either cut in quarters or fiths and pack out on yor back.

I do believe that the more work you have to put into the meat, the more you enjoy it on the BBQ. Today, I am happy when the harvest is s close to ATV access as possible.

Tom[/quote]

..... Tom , your narrative sounds like an episode of Naked and Affraid! :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

vixenmaster wrote:I have a 45-70 usin cast boolits i want to shoot a few deer wid tis yr
Ah, that would be great to take one with an old round using cast bullets. I love bringing some of the old technology to the woods to increase the challenge.

I'm bound and determined to take a deer with a pistol this season. I've almost convinced myself that on opening day of the doe-only gun hunt (2 Sep) that I should leave the house carrying only my Ruger Blackhawk. I've already proven that if a deer comes into range and I have my Excalibur too, I'll always end up using an arrow because its more deadly. That won't be an option if I only have a pistol on me.

I'd also like to get a crack at one of the bears that keep repointing my game cameras and bending the mounts into a pretzel though I wouldn't be using a pistol on it.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: