Grounded

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Grounded

Post by nchunterkw »

As everyone else has said, don't give up just adapt and find a good doctor.

FWIW I hunt from the ground most times anyway in a Ghille suit. It has lots of advantages in that you are mobile and can setup about anywhere. You can adapt to how the deer change their movements very easily and aren't stuck in a ladder where deer move by just out of range or avoid altogether.

Having a nice deer (or any deer) 15yds "eye to eye" that doesn't know you are there will really get your heart pumping.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

galamb wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 pm
Dave I will echo some of the comments you have received here.

My wife was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's 18 years ago (at the age of 39). She is now 57 and on a cocktail of meds.

While I will concede that she is not 100% she is more than stable enough that she climbs the 12 foot step ladder to pick cherries (she is adamant that the birds are not going to get a single one of "her" cherries) and has never fallen - in fact she rarely loses her balance at all. And often times, due to the dopamine that she takes, she has three or four times the energy that I have.

The disease can be well controlled, the progression slowed down and most of your function will be as good as ever BUT do find a doctor that specializes in movement disorders (typically Parkinson's and MS) and keeps up to date on the latest treatments - a general "quack" just never has the experience so we travel about 3 hours twice a year so she can see a Doc that stays on the leading edge.

Having the disease sucks but it is very manageable and shouldn't end your days in the field. While my wife doesn't hunt she almost always accompanies me on upland hunts and it is I that has trouble keeping up.
That sounds very promising galamb thanks a ton.
The Dr. that I see is a general health care MD, and I take your advice very seriously,
I did go out and put up 2 grnd. blinds . I am not giving up any time soon I guarantee that for sure :)
Thank you and everyone else here on the forum for all your advice and support. :D
as I said before just because I am 75 and a little bit slower don't mean i'll give up !!!!

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

vixenmaster wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:20 pm
Dave my friend that opened up the ground blind game. Natural n made stay on the ground n enjoy it
I intend to do just that Mike, us old bow hunters don't give up we just slow down, and hunt low down :lol:
Thanks my friend. :)

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Dave, I'm going on 57, you & several other members are an inspiration to me. I hope to be able to hunt well into my 70's as well knowing I'll have to adjust to what I can do. Reading these posts gives me encouragement.
God Bless!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Even if you only hang out in a ground blind with another hunter, do not give up! That includes medical treatment. Read, get second, third, fourth opinions. Don't give up on either end!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dave i have 2 ground blinds now myself. I have 3 Hang-On stands n i decided that when i turned 71 i would take them down n put up ladder stands. They should be easier climbin up into.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

papabear1 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am
Well looks like i'm getting close to the end of hunting from a tree, been having trouble tripping while walking thru the woods lately,
and feeling unstable climbing up in my ladder stands. :( and trouble with getting my hands to not jerk when I try to do anything,
so I went to the Dr. to see what is going on. Well he says without extensive test, I am probably in the early stages of parkinsons desease,
as my hands do weird things when I try to do simple things , and it does run in my family, 3 aunts one brother and my mother had it really bad. Just moving the curser on this screen is a joke in itself, and I have trouble with my balance. So I guess my hunting is coming to an end :( But I will always see what is going on here on the forum.

Good luck to all. :D
Be safe in all your hunts, and be kind to your fellow hunters.
Keep God and Family in your prayers.

Dave :D
Sorry to hear this..My Lymes acted that way I am just walking very good now and my memory is back..

We have designated atv trails for folks like you with volunteer drivers...

guess what my brother goes out and sits down along pipeline and gets nice 7 point but it was privateland he says no more treestands for him..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vixenmaster wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm
Dave i have 2 ground blinds now myself. I have 3 Hang-On stands n i decided that when i turned 71 i would take them down n put up ladder stands. They should be easier climbin up into.
At 63 I went to ladderstand cheap 49 dollar one with my GREAT Summit top section only..I carry in top daily weights like 8 pds REAL NICE and I can fall asleep safely too...I moved the ladderstand feet section to floor and it makes floor big so I can move around..

Without Summit seat no way i could sit up there and 15 ft is my max now ..
CLIMBER in cold at 5 am Brrrrrrrrrrrr is just to much for me with wind blowing etc and 10 degrees with ice on white oaks NO WAY I am doing that anymore .. 8)

Dave is like so many I know too I am the only 63 year old hunting in my area that climbs a tree on publicland at 5 am in dark,only one left old school coming to end someday.. :cry:
artifact

Post by artifact »

I'm ready to turn 70, so far so good but I have slowed down a bit from my younger days! :shock:
Like others are saying, you may just need to adjust, keep at it as long as you can and good luck!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Maybe you could hunt from a seat with a bi-pod or tri-pod to rest your bow or gun. Don't give up, and keep us all posted.
axiom
350 SE
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

grouse wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:48 pm
Maybe you could hunt from a seat with a bi-pod or tri-pod to rest your bow or gun. Don't give up, and keep us all posted.
Will do, :wink:
I have all kinds of things going on in my head, I have overcome a lot of diversities in my life and i'm not one to give up !!
right now im hunting from 2 ground blinds and 1 tri pod stand which is very stable and easy to climb,
by next year I will have something that I can be safe, comfortable, and feel at ease in.

Dave :D

Thank you all :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods