Can't seem to pull the trigger.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sparkey

Re: Can't seem to pull the trigger.

Post by Sparkey »

308 Short is a terrible name for a crossbow.

Everytime I hear or read that, I think about .308 Winchester rifle loads... 8)
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

LongCarbine wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:22 pm
papabear1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:53 pm
Hide the money !!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Dave :wink:
After being married for 36 years she knows all my hidding places :lol:
35 for me, and yep, you cannot hide money! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

LongCarbine wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 pm
galamb wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:51 pm
I'm about in the same place as you right now.

I don't "need" a new bow but after 8 years running my current one I "want" a new toy.

I am actually looking the other way. I don't need the speed. My longest shooting lane is 35 yards and whatever I have in my hands - crossbow, recurve bow, shotgun or rifle I have never had to shoot further than 27 yards and this is my 47th deer season. This years buck was at 18 yards.

I hunt mostly from a tree stand but my second (stand) is a commercial ground blind not well suited to a crossbow with a 36" wingspan. So I was thinking 315/335 Micro until they released the new 308 Short.

Yes, by today's standards it's "slow", but not so long ago 305's were the fastest thing on the planet and nobody felt "under gunned" using them. Someone has convinced us that you need great speed and great distance to shoot deer which are probably now wearing kevlar vests.

When I "bow hunt", for me, it's about getting close and the 308 is super compact and the Banshee model is "fully dressed" with everything that I would add to any model I might buy. And especially for a hunting blind designed for gun use, it's perfect.

And if I have a need for speed, maybe I will just drive fast to my stand.
For whitetail hunting I think the 308 would be great , but for mule deer I like that little extra forgiveness in range and it cuts though the wind a little better with a faster bow. That said I did kill a few mulies with my Axiom .
I don't know what arrow weight your thinking, but that is what helps in windy conditions more than speed, just saying! If you don't mind using a crank, the sky is the limit really. That's what i told myself when going for the Micro 355. I should have went after a 335, but I like the extra thump the faster bow offers more than the speed. It came down to wanting my 355 Matrix in a smaller package overall. You really have enough experience with several models, so draw up what you're really looking for, then pick a model that fits the envelope. We would love to help you spend your money! :lol: :lol:

Good Luck in your quest! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I think I'll shop around for a clearance or used . Then maybe I can get a Micro and a Bulldog :D
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I read yesterday that Cabelas is advertizing their Micro 335 "Light Package" at $535...... :shock: You may want to explore those a bit. :wink:

I have a Gen ll Micro 335 as well as 2 Micro 355's and a Matrix 380.

These are all awsome models :wink: but I find Cabelas is moving in a direction thru their Bargain Cave that is killing the re-sale of all of the Micro and Matrix models...

( I'll be very happy when they have liquidated all they have on hand so that they dry up their inventory and my bows values get back near what they are IMO worth. ) :roll:

Not sure what's happening there, (?) but I do see that it appears they seem to be advertising many more Parker, Barnett, and 10 point models, while only listing the BD 400 and Suppressor 355 at their usal $1199 price points... The remaining models of excals are in most cases being advertised as "Closeout's". :shock: :cry: :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

L. E. Carroll wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 am
I read yesterday that Cabelas is advertizing their Micro 335 "Light Package" at $535...... You may want to explore those a bit
I saw that , by the time I got my card out they were sold out , Same thing a few hours later with a refub 355 for $351 again sold out in a few minutes.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
quake

Post by quake »

L. E. Carroll wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 am
Not sure what's happening there, (?) but I do see that it appears they seem to be advertising many more Parker, Barnett, and 10 point models, while only listing the BD 400 and Suppressor 355 at their usal $1199 price points... The remaining models of excals are in most cases being advertised as "Closeout's".
I noticed the very same thing this weekend at our local Cabela's here in central Indy. They had a TON of Ten Point crossbows (and another brand that I can't remember now), and a very nice little display to hang them all on, too. Haha. It was very clear to me that these Ten Points were their "center piece attraction" crossbow and the product they are obviously pushing the most. I was really disappointed in their selection of Excaliburs. Two Bulldog 400's and one Micro Suppressor hanging up on display. Very, very little selection of accessories for the Excaliburs as well. Disappointing to say the least.
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Well I pulled the trigger . Found a deal on a B.D 330 It's a little more compact than my Matrix 355 and should be fast enough. Can't wait till it shows up :D
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
quake

Post by quake »

Congrats! I haven't heard a bad thing about the B.D. 330. I think that bullpup stock has a great feel to it, I wish a dealer around here would have had one when I was looking for a new bow. It probably would have been the one that went home with me. Enjoy, and let us know what you think once you get her broke in.
Cabela's Equalizer 370 made by Excalibur- Zeiss Terra XB75
Matrix 380- Trophy Ridge Speed Comp XV530IR