Super heavy arrow with expandable heads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Super heavy arrow with expandable heads?

Post by longbow joe »

There's always the magic balance of the penetration vs cut. I used the giant super freak extremes this year with great results but they are not the king of penetration in a place where there is not soft tissue . In the event of a poor (gutshot) or such a giant cut is welcome but in the end we all know that shot placement is king. I consider the ram cat to be an excellent cut on contact head extremely accurate and have used them with success but the other day on an extremely windy day l was playing around with my spitfires and the ramcats. (The kind of day we are likely
To hunt on) The ramcats were not nearly as accurate as the spitfires in the wind it was night n day.l will not sacrifice accuracy with the ramcat in the wind even though it flies perfectly on a calm day.Along with the safety factor of not having a giant ramcat at the end of my crossbow and in my quiver .l will stick to my expandable spitfires and xact cuts. Because l hunt in the wind and dont stay home .In the end you have to just use your best judgment and use what works best in "every condition " for you there is a thousand broadheads out there to try. As crossbows get faster and faster the fixed blade is harder and harder to tune .lts almost gonna be the expandable or nothing the way its going into warp speed territory it's kinda sad.l have killed a ton of deer with tiny one inch 2 blade zwickeys and tiny 1 inch Grizzlies out of my 160 fps longbow they all kill if you do your part.might not get the best blood trail but they work.Now with the heavy arrow you are sacrificing longer range trajectory......its like the old riddle.....whose on first lol.lf you have confidence in a setup that's all that matters in the end
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.